Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some talk on the twitter that this (speed limit sign reading) was/is a feature only in the AP-rewrite branch, so could be the first airing of that.

https://twitter.com/teslascope/status/1299788540914487296?s=21

AP rewrite apparently running in shadow mode at the moment. Sounds like 1-2 months before that goes full production - not a bad thing waiting :eek:

Source: (curtailed) 2020.36 Release Notes includes Green Traffic Light Chime and Speed Limit Sign Recognition!! : teslamotors

Reactions: CMc1
Last edited:
Video of a car reading speed limit sign ( AP not on though so can’t tell if it would adjust target speed too )

https://twitter.com/nasa8500/status/1299825562496708609?s=21

Updated video, showing it does also adjust max/target speed (plus offset) when it reads a limit sign

https://twitter.com/nasa8500/status/1299829474352078856?s=21

I hope that it can read the speed sign further ahead than those videos although second one is excused by the sign being occluded by foliage.

Based upon those, its not looking good for being at speed limit by time you enter the lower limit zone especially if you manually need to adjust limit yourself. At 29mph, the car was visually past the sign within 1-2 seconds after initial point of detection, so detection only occurred between 13m and 26m ahead of sign - so sub par for the stricter DVLA/DVSA eyesight number plate test at 20m. imho This is negligible time if needed to react, let alone if the car was doing the previous limit at 45mph (so potentially shorter detection time) and slow by 15mph.

I hope this improves although speed sign recognition in itself does represent a much welcome step even if at the moment, human eyes seem better.

upload_2020-8-30_8-24-49.png

Last edited:
According to the release notes, the green light chime feature seems not to apply in Europe, only USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The same goes for the stop sign/stop light warning. It's also tagged as being for HW3 only.

Speed limit sign recognition seems to be worldwide, as does the ability to tap the screen to adjust the cruise speed to the limit.

Source: 2020.36 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates

Hopefully they're still updating some form of map tiles ("Atlas" or whatever the project was called)... reading speed signs and comparing with an average of fleet speed would be a pretty good way to update those incorrect signs really quickly, even if it's not actively using the vision detection to instruct the speedo

Same with traffic lights: the UK system of traffic lights is bonkers complex compared to US, but I suppose they could work out intent based on which cars start moving when which lights turn green. There's a lot of lights in the UK that are just... ambiguous or misleading in a lot of ways, so really comparing data from when a light turns green to when the car starts moving (under human control), then logging that in a map tile for that junction is about the only way I can think of to reliably encode the situations there.

Only USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have active (ie FSD stopping for) traffic light functionality so it makes sense that chime and warning go with that functionality.

I would be interested to know if the chime and warning go with base (HW3) autopilot vehicles or whether its reserved, like stopping functionality, to FSD. The red light warning could be viewed as a safety feature and I would like to think that we are past the days of charging for optional safety features such as passenger airbags.

Last edited:
Same with traffic lights: the UK system of traffic lights is bonkers complex compared to US, but I suppose they could work out intent based on which cars start moving when which lights turn green. There's a lot of lights in the UK that are just... ambiguous or misleading in a lot of ways, so really comparing data from when a light turns green to when the car starts moving (under human control), then logging that in a map tile for that junction is about the only way I can think of to reliably encode the situations there.

The proper solution for this will be V2I (vehicle to infrastructure) which will also bring many other benefits that vision and/or AI cannot solve but I am doubtful that Tesla will join that global party. I get that Tesla will want to move faster than V2I rollout and that vision/AI can do a significant amount, but within a relatively short period of time a vision/AI only solution will start to look particularly sub par. I can do lots of jobs with my trusty screwdriver but it doesn't mean that it is the most appropriate tool for the job.

Reactions: Banksy888
What’s unique about Australia & New Zealand that they’re getting these updates around the same time as USA & Canada? Not hobbled by lame UNECE restrictions?

I suspect the inclusion of Australia and New Zealand in the initial roll out has a lot to do with testing the software in two countries that have the steering wheel on the right. Looking at it logically, they're rolling out what is essentially beta test software to two countries with the steering wheel on the left and two countries with the steering wheel on the right, which could mean that they are just trying to acquire data on how it behaves before either releasing it globally or adding these features to a forthcoming global release after further tweaking.

What’s unique about Australia & New Zealand that they’re getting these updates around the same time as USA & Canada? Not hobbled by lame UNECE restrictions?

I suspect the inclusion of Australia and New Zealand in the initial roll out has a lot to do with testing the software in two countries that have the steering wheel on the right. Looking at it logically, they're rolling out what is essentially beta test software to two countries with the steering wheel on the left and two countries with the steering wheel on the right, which could mean that they are just trying to acquire data on how it behaves before either releasing it globally or adding these features to a forthcoming global release after further tweaking.

Uhh, that seems a bit farfetched to me. I'm with @Durzel that it's almost certainly about local regulations or lack thereof (plus road design - I think roads there are probably more similar to the US: long, wide, lots of uninterrupted highways etc)

Surely the solution is the car sees a speed limit sign and logs location, direction of travel and speed to Tesla. Once enough cars have logged the same details then it goes into the next update. Or better it downloads in the background speed limit updates without needing a version change. So obvious they must be thinking about it.

Surely the solution is the car sees a speed limit sign and logs location, direction of travel and speed to Tesla. Once enough cars have logged the same details then it goes into the next update. Or better it downloads in the background speed limit updates without needing a version change. So obvious they must be thinking about it.

This will probably be how it will work - as this is similar to how traffic light recognition is also programmed in (in US/Can/Aus/NZ).

Of course, it will also need to see signs "live" so as to pick up temporary/variable signs etc.

Uhh, that seems a bit farfetched to me. I'm with @Durzel that it's almost certainly about local regulations or lack thereof (plus road design - I think roads there are probably more similar to the US: long, wide, lots of uninterrupted highways etc)

Well, Australia is a UNECE signatory too.. Road design is more likely.. there really aren't any regulations about understanding speed limit signs or stopping at stop lights.

Well, Australia is a UNECE signatory too.. Road design is more likely.. there really aren't any regulations about understanding speed limit signs or stopping at stop lights.

Exactly, and both Australia and New Zealand have road layouts that are significantly different to those in the USA and Canada, because they drive on the left, rather than the right. Behaviour at road junctions, roundabouts, etc, plus the juxtaposition of road sings and side roads relative to lane positioning, will all be markedly different from those used in North America for any country that drives on the other side of the road.