Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most useful situation I can see for speed limit reading, in the UK, is variable speed limits on motorways. However, to do well this they need to update the way they handle changes.

Currently (in my experience anyway), it stays at the first limit until it hits the changeover point then slows down to the new one. This means, by default, you will always be breaking the speed limit as you enter a slower one. It needs to slow down before the limit, so that it's doing the lower speed when it reaches the sign, and it needs to do so gradually to avoid being rear ended.

TBH handling speed changes is one thing which irks me about AP in general:
  • Speed limits on the maps are very vague, so often it will be several hundred yards into the new "zone" before it realises it's changed. With a bit of luck the sign reading will help with this.
  • Speed changes are often quite harsh, especially when leaving a motorway on NOA towards a roundabout: It will step down 5mph at a time, harshly, instead of following a smooth deceleration. I can override with my right foot, but generally it just causes me to deactivate AP and do it myself.
That said, I'm complaining about how smoothly a car can drive itself, there.... First world problems or what?! :D

Reactions: PrGrPa
2020.36 had quite a flurry of installs base in USA, Can, NZ and Aus the cooled right off. Some reports of it being pulled. Maybe 2020.36.3 will restart the wider release. Just a few vehicles at present, all looked to be previously on 2020.36.

TeslaFi said:
Software version 2020.36.3 was just detected on a Tesla Model Y Long Range DM in Oklahoma United States. The highest previous version was 2020.36. Follow the 2020.36.3 release at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Last edited:
Reactions: drewpost
I saw a video of Cruise Set Speed Improvements in action and that looks a useful feature. Would be nice to see a change in operation when TACC is engaged in that it maintains current speed not (often incorrect or inappropriate) speed limit.

Got me thinking though, that an overload to tapping speed limit and/or speed would be good way of enabling a speed limiter in non TACC mode. There are many roads where use of TACC is often inappropriate, but otherwise tricky to stay within speed limit without constantly taking eyes off of road to check speedo and unfortunately we just introduced two long ones into our new daily drive.

36.x hasn't been seen outside US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand as far as I know, with a couple of installs here and there, presumably Tesla employees.

No sign of it in Europe yet, and with different patches coming out, possibly for a while.

There is going to be a lot today. It is installing on my X 100D right now.
-------------
MrL020h.jpg