Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m struggling to use scheduled charging via the app.

If I open the app it says "Schedule - Car will charge at 00:00". If I go in and change the "Start charging at" time, it lets me choose a time but after a second or so it resets to 00:00. I have checked the car and the scheduled charging says it is 02:30 in there (which is what it has always been).

I even changed the time in the car to 02:00 as a test, but it doesn't update the app. Have tried opening and closing the app several times.

Any thoughts where I'm going wrong here?
Exactly the same for me.

I found the secret is, do it very very quickly.

Set the time and ok it fast, it then takes it.

I think what's happening is, it's polling for the car setting while we are changing it. If it polls before we hit ok, it pulls the last setting back. A silly coding mistake.
Good to know.

Only problem there is that whatever polling its doing of the car is getting the wrong time, at least for me. My car is set for 02:30, and says so on the in-car screen, but the app always says 00:00.

on the camera streaming point, I assume you will have to enable sentry mode for it to start streaming, if so, surely the warning it flashes up if Sentry mode is activated and it starts recording would be enough to tick the GDPR box. (Although I have never seen that warning flash up on mine).

Good to know.

Only problem there is that whatever polling its doing of the car is getting the wrong time, at least for me. My car is set for 02:30, and says so on the in-car screen, but the app always says 00:00.

I understand... Mine was just the same at first, once I beat the clock first time it was in sync.

My only caveat, I did also do all this in trying...

Log out app, log in.
Force close app
Restart phone.
Unlock car, acknowledge release notes.
Reboot car
Start charging, stop charging
Disconnect charge cable
Reconnect charge cable.

And then I played the beat the clock game, and finally!

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
I understand... Mine was just the same at first, once I beat the clock first time it was in sync.

My only caveat, I did also do all this in trying...

Log out app, log in.
Force close app
Restart phone.
Unlock car, acknowledge release notes.
Reboot car
Start charging, stop charging
Disconnect charge cable
Reconnect charge cable.

And then I played the beat the clock game, and finally!

I found that the behaviour does seem to change depending on whether you have the car plugged in or not and whether charging is scheduled to start or whether it’s finished charging. It’s a little like the big widget charge button that tries to close charge port if you press it after chargers complete if the cable is still plugged in.

Not got to the bottom of circumstances of either though. A bit disappointed that the issue has persisted over a couple of car and app releases.

I found that the behaviour does seem to change depending on whether you have the car plugged in or not and whether charging is scheduled to start or whether it’s finished charging. It’s a little like the big widget charge button that tries to close charge port if you press it after chargers complete if the cable is still plugged in.

Not got to the bottom of circumstances of either though. A bit disappointed that the issue has persisted over a couple of car and app releases.
Yeah I think you’ve nailed it here.

Lots of talk on FB from people having the same problem and apparently the car needs to be plugged in for this setting to “stick” (without rapid fire time changing antics)

Haven’t tested that myself yet but enough people have said that it works that I’m confident it’s the answer.

Pretty unintuitive that, though, in my opinion. The app certainly doesn’t restrict your ability to use this function while it’s not plugged in, nor does it suggest it only saves it properly while plugged in, or why it needs to be plugged in to do so.

Not release specific, but I'll put it here anyway. Further evidence that superchargers have WiFi that the car can use.

I decided to use my time at Fleet Services Supercharger to download the latest update. I initially hot spotted off my phone, but part way through I had moved my phone (into centre console) and download speed stuck at 0kbs so decided to wander off leaving download stalled at half way. Took phone with me. On my walk back to car, the app offered me the install. Getting back into the car, the download had indeed completed.

So either the download getting stuck at 0kbs/50% wasn't true or the car had latched onto an internet connection somewhere. It was unlikely to be LTE as it was insisting on use of WiFi at start of download hence not having taken download earlier.

So either the download getting stuck at 0kbs/50% wasn't true or the car had latched onto an internet connection somewhere. It was unlikely to be LTE as it was insisting on use of WiFi at start of download hence not having taken download earlier.
I wonder if it only performs the WiFi check at the start of a download? You started it on WiFi, so maybe it just carried on over LTE when the WiFi went missing?

Reactions: pow216 and Adopado
I just can't see how the scheduled charging bug ever passed testing.

My only guess is they are using automated test scripts which run as fast as they can, hence they don't recreate human reaction times using the app.

Unplugged I can't set the time, plugged I can just about do it by going as fast as my fingers can move. But I'm only successful about half the time.

I just can't see how the scheduled charging bug ever passed testing.

My only guess is they are using automated test scripts which run as fast as they can, hence they don't recreate human reaction times using the app.

Unplugged I can't set the time, plugged I can just about do it by going as fast as my fingers can move. But I'm only successful about half the time.
…and when you get there, it either starts or stops when it likes, not necessarily when you’d like!
How hard can it be to have a start and stop time for both!