Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2021 Model 3 Q2 collection and delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got mine this afternoon after a long 7 months of waiting... delighted and was a great, friendly and efficient experience at Tesla Belfast. Car looks 100%, got the same slightly warped key cards as everyone else but it doesn't really bother me too much?

IMG_20210625_202338_826.jpg

Wow look at that in grey, amazing. Grey with white was my original order but one night I panicked and changed it to black paint. This is the one car where every single colour is the right choice, they all look amazing. With the chrome delete I think red might be the pick of the bunch but I couldn’t cope with it for 4 years.

The uberturbines totally make this car. I’ve seen quite a few pre-refresh M3Ps in supermarket car parks lately and whilst their wheels are still nice the turbines in gunmetal are something special.

Reactions: gil.i.am
Finally got mine this afternoon after a long 7 months of waiting... delighted and was a great, friendly and efficient experience at Tesla Belfast. Car looks 100%, got the same slightly warped key cards as everyone else but it doesn't really bother me too much?

View attachment 677706
Picked mine up from Leeds today, the key cards were warped too but they replaced them before I left. Apparently they were left on the dashboards in Southampton when it was really hot.

On the Tesla website it states the following for home delivery....

Tesla Direct is only available to customers within an approved distance of their local Tesla delivery center.

Does anyone know what the approved distance is? I'm 23 miles away from the Edinburgh centre (pretty much all motorways and dual carriage ways). When I login to my account on the Tesla site, there's no delivery mentioned. At the time of ordering, it bizarrely stated my nearest collection point was Glasgow and never gave me the option for home delivery. I'm not doing a trade-in or using Tesla finance to purchase the car.

Does anyone know what the approved distance is? I'm 23 miles away from the Edinburgh centre (pretty much all motorways and dual carriage ways). When I login to my account on the Tesla site, there's no delivery mentioned. At the time of ordering, it bizarrely stated my nearest collection point was Glasgow and never gave me the option for home delivery. I'm not doing a trade-in or using Tesla finance to purchase the car.
I don’t think they follow any set rules to be honest. Mine was collection from Leeds but they delivered to my home in the North West without asking me, just got a text saying it’s being delivered. I’m not too far from the Trafford Centre in Manchester either where a few on here were collecting from so it would have made more sense to add me to that list.

They've recently stopped doing collections from Newbridge, either started this quarter or last but really since the new superchargers went live, which ate into the available parking space. Newbridge will now concentrate on service and demonstrations, whilst Glasgow appears to be using a temporary site on an industrial estate to do deliveries with a service centre opening 'soon'.

Not all service centres are geared up for deliveries, Glasgow now is the only place in Scotland despite service centres in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Glasgow is also the collection centre for Carlisle and surrounding areas.

I've read of people getting cars delivered that live less than 10 miles from a service centre and those that are several hundred miles from a service centre, so think the delivery is a bit of a lottery.

I look forward to seeing your new motor around in the beautiful Kingdom!

They've recently stopped doing collections from Newbridge, either started this quarter or last but really since the new superchargers went live, which ate into the available parking space. Newbridge will now concentrate on service and demonstrations, whilst Glasgow appears to be using a temporary site on an industrial estate to do deliveries with a service centre opening 'soon'.

Not all service centres are geared up for deliveries, Glasgow now is the only place in Scotland despite service centres in Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Glasgow is also the collection centre for Carlisle and surrounding areas.

I've read of people getting cars delivered that live less than 10 miles from a service centre and those that are several hundred miles from a service centre, so think the delivery is a bit of a lottery.

I look forward to seeing your new motor around in the beautiful Kingdom!
Ah okay. Bizarrely, Glasgow is easier to get to via public transport from Fife as I can get the train to Queen Street and walk. Newbridge is a bit more difficult for public transport.

So. We picked up our M3 LR from Bristol today. It was one of those days when pretty much everything seemed to go right (for a change?). The train wasn't full of covidiots. The prebooked car was waiting outside Temple Meads and dropped us at Cribbs Causeway with plenty of time to spare. (We had a bite to eat and did a little shopping.) At the Tesla shop, we forgot to 'sign in' with the QR code on arrival (we mistook it for the NHS app thing) and then forgot to mention to the guy that we are leasing the thing. Both led to a tiny delay, but really we have no complaints. Our only other issue was that the keycards were warped and we didn't mention it while the guy was there because we were just too excited and wanted him to go away so that WE COULD SIT IN OUR CAR FOR A BIT AND PLAY. (All while charging at Tesla's expense. ;-) )

I took a checklist with me and got partway through and couldn't find a problem and so we kind of gave up AND HIT THE MOTORWAY. The M5 was clogged and slow, and we were still sorting out things as we drove, but, crumbs, what a car! We pulled into services halfway home so I could have a go too. I got the best part of the drive (i.e. non-motorway) and nearly broke my wife's neck when I didn't warn her I was about to floor it. I say again, what a car! (I'm a tofu-knitting 'Let's save the planet' kind of person, but if you can have fun along the way, where's the harm?)

Got back, plugged it into my new 3-pin socket (see my other posts passim), and have been packing for holiday ever since (thus this late posting). But I so wanted just to sit in the car and listen to music (I used to sell hifi and, let me tell you, I've heard worse...) and play the games. It's the first car we've ever had (and we've had a ratty old Porsche and a BMW and a Volvo and a couple of Mercs - and some absolute rubbish - and a couple of new Leafs) that's almost as exciting just to sit in as it is to drive.

(And did I already say? It drives like a charm.)

I had another look at the car earlier and I suppose if I'm being really picky, the rear light clusters are very slightly inconsistently proud of the bodywork, but overall the build quality seems excellent. (TBF, I'm no expert - I'd barely heard the phrase 'panel gaps' before getting this Tesla...) Paint looks fine, everything seems to work. (No pictures because it's just a bog-standard LR in white, but I do question my use of the word 'just' there. Even the standard wheels look a bit better in the flesh.)

We've had a few ups and downs to get to this point - thanks to various peeps on this forum who've commented on my posts - but even our first impressions have made it all worthwhile! We take it to Devon and Cornwall for a fortnight tomorrow, then we'll be pootling around at home for a few months before I get to grips with some serious weekly commuting (assuming the universities stay open...).

I can't wait.

Wow look at that in grey, amazing. Grey with white was my original order but one night I panicked and changed it to black paint. This is the one car where every single colour is the right choice, they all look amazing. With the chrome delete I think red might be the pick of the bunch but I couldn’t cope with it for 4 years.

The uberturbines totally make this car. I’ve seen quite a few pre-refresh M3Ps in supermarket car parks lately and whilst their wheels are still nice the turbines in gunmetal are something special.
I was thinking the exact same thing, they look great in every colour and one of the main reasons is the rims, takes it to another level

Those rims are indeed fantastic in the flesh. There was a new, white P parked around the corner from my house the other day. I think the latest iteration with chrome delete has been especially kind to the the white car. It looks terrific. If it hadn't been the fact I had a white car for 7 years previously, and also I wanted the white seats and didn't want to go white/white, then it's a fabulous option.

Picked up my Model 3 LR from Brent Cross today. Now a very proud owner of a Tesla :)

The pick up process was quick and easy, no issues with the car apart from warped keys. Pointed this out to them and they replaced them straight away (not sure why they didn't do that before we arrived!).

Fit and finish of the panels was good and the car was charged to 30%.

Driving home the camera calibrated very quickly and I was able to use the auto pilot on the M25. Happy to say no phantom breaking so far. Car was delivered with 2021.4.18.2 installed.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, the discussions have been hugely useful.

Picked mine up a few hours ago at NEC. It was a right bitch to find as they've blocked off a lot of the routes inside for cleaning, ready for when everything opens up again. It shepherded you outside and had to make my way through car parks and loading bays to find it. I got lost at one point and had to ask a security bloke where it was. Soon found it after that though.

I spent nearly 2 hours there checking everything over then messing about with the screen/driving settings, then accessories (aeros off, centre caps and lug covers on).

Panel gaps were all ok. Some tiny differences but nothing bad. Sunroof is slightly out with the windscreen on one side but I can live with that.

Found one or two serviceable issues though. First the plastic door trim behind the drivers wing mirror had some minor damage, and also found a paint chip on the front passenger door. Already booked them both in next Thursday morning at Birmingham.

Because I sat there for a good while in the car with the AC on there was some water dripping and running out from under the middle of the car just behind the front wheels. He assured me that was the AC condensation and said they all did that if it's parked while AC is on.

Biggest thing I spotted was the rear left light which sits quite proud of the light fixed to the boot lid when it's shut. I'll put a pic below. Don't know if it's worth mentioning or getting fixed really. The other side is perfect though.

One key was warped so they're gonna send me another pair out FOC in the post. He reckoned they didn't have them where they were.

Just sitting updating the software to 2021. 4.18.2. There's some clunking going on with the AC clicking off and back on again seemingly from behind me. Hope that's normal!

Trim damage and rear light cluster:

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_141144.jpg
    IMG_20210626_141144.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20210626_191432.jpg
    IMG_20210626_191432.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 76
Had 260 miles on collection, but I went to the Essington M6 Supercharger and topped her up to 100% any way.

Had to clean all the glass when I got home. They'd obviously "cleaned" it and it was a smeary mess!

Attachments

• IMG_20210626_191951.jpg
    IMG_20210626_191951.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20210626_192004.jpg
    IMG_20210626_192004.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 62