Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a fundamental mistake being made by Tesla with this vision only BS - one minute they keep saying humans are rubbish at driving and we need FSD to save mankind, then the next minute they say oh but we need to make FSD work in the same way that humans do - using only eyes.

Just duh.
Teslavision uses confocal diffuse tomography. Humans don't.
The very low-res radar had it's own problems, such as getting reflections from bridges, losing track of objects etc. Throw in the fact that is was a 3rd party sensor and therefore outwith Tesla's control and you have a pretty poor input source. Sure there are some things that it is better at than simple vision, but if you have two sensors and they disagree, which one do you believe?

Reactions: Roy B
It works fine with me!!! Night and day drive, rain and dry yesterday.
I think some people might be reacting to the really bright lights of the high beam and are aggravated of it turning on and off. Once you get used to it it is fine and just enjoy the drive. Also cars coming towards me don’t seem to be bothered, highway and normal roads.

Reactions: Ozboz7 and init6
Yeah there are easy software fixes to just literally change the controls so that auto features can be overridden properly, and also so that wiper speed could be controlled manually - without using the bloody touchscreen - (eg press end of left stalk and then use left scroll wheel to adjust intermittent gap) - lots of stuff that could be done…but they haven’t….and they’ve now gone and forced the sh1t auto stuff on people without fixing the issues first. The priorities are completely wrong.

Teslavision uses confocal diffuse tomography. Humans don't.
The very low-res radar had it's own problems, such as getting reflections from bridges, losing track of objects etc. Throw in the fact that is was a 3rd party sensor and therefore outwith Tesla's control and you have a pretty poor input source. Sure there are some things that it is better at than simple vision, but if you have two sensors and they disagree, which one do you believe?
I don’t think planes and rockets use only single sensors.

It matters because they have a completely different AP experience over there.

You should know how relatively limited our AP is, due to UNECE and whatever. The car won't go around a sharpish corner on AP without warning the driver that Autosteer is going to be disabled, and then disabling it, mid corner. As I said if you watch the videos of AP on US Teslas, and Summon, etc the whole experience is a lot more purposeful.

I would suggest it's akin to someone with a lot of confidence taking a few knocks vs someone who is introverted taking the same knocks. The confident person takes it in their stride, and it doesn't affect their behaviour, whereas the introverted person is diminished by it. Perhaps our AP experience doesn't handle "rain, bugs, nighttime", etc the same way the US AP experience does, as a consequence of the overall confidence difference between the two of them.

Obviously I'm making assumptions but I don't think it's a stretch to assume that because the AP experience is so different that the handling of error conditions is different also.
Righhht, but no.

How many G the autopilot can take, the timing for a lane change or enhanced summon doesn't effect how the windscreen wipers and auto-dip works. Outside of the FSD beta I'm pretty sure we have the same autopilot just with some different limitations based on the UNECE regulations, seems to drive exactly the same. In fact in the early days of Model 3 in the UK the UNECE stuff wasn't applied, it came in updates during late 2019.

These limits are no big deal on UK Motorways, and using AP outside of those is recommended against. Using AP or TACC on other roads needs the driver to make a judgment call once they are familiar with the systems capabilities. I might use AP in a traffic jam, but I certainly wouldn't use it to drive a long in a 30 limit with pedestrians and parked cars. Sure, US roads are different and there may be more places people feel comfortable, the FSD Stop Light Control is perhaps relevant where there are blocks every 300m but really is lost on most of the UK (although I used to use it on the A40 heading out of London).

Go read up on people's actual experiences with Enhanced Summon in the US, the general opinion is that it's no where near confident and people rarely use it other than for a YouTube video.

It works fine with me!!! Night and day drive, rain and dry yesterday.
I think some people might be reacting to the really bright lights of the high beam and are aggravated of it turning on and off. Once you get used to it it is fine and just enjoy the drive. Also cars coming towards me don’t seem to be bothered, highway and normal roads.
This is a very good point and worth repeating for the newbies. Just because car A has poorly functioning lights/wipers etc doesn't mean that car B will have the same issues. It's the most frustrating aspect of owning a Tesla.

Yesterday, whilst tying to find a way of providing written feedback to Tesla, I ended up emailing the only actual email address I could find which was for feedback on the owner’s manual (it’s crazy they have a dedicated line of contact for feedback on the manual, but not the actual bloody car)….but anyway…. a guy called Daniel Donovan (Manager, Technical Publications) replied, and said he would pass along the feedback to the relevant team.

I’ve asked him to put me in touch with someone in the relevant team.

In the meantime, may I suggest that anyone who feels fairly strongly about this just email Daniel Donovan for now - if he was to receive a dozen or so emails from different people in short order it might stand a chance of making a bit of an impression somewhere in Tesla towers. Just maybe.

[email protected]
I’ve emailed him too

Just watching the Bjørn video again - this is going to be a disaster.

Be prepared to be dazzled a lot more in the coming weeks by all the updated Teslas where people either don’t realise what is happening with their high beam, or just don’t care.

Even Bjørn’s video is nowhere close to as bad as this is going to be in the UK and other busier European countries where frequent lane changes are often necessary.

Even some people who know about the auto high beam change, and know it can be turned off after each re-activation of autopilot, just won’t bother after a while because it will be a PITA to change lanes then double tap, bing bong, then also push the left stalk too.

Or maybe some Tesla drivers will just abandon all lane discipline.

Last edited:
Looks like 2022.24.6 is appearing in the UK now. It contains the change to flip to vision only for AP (so basic AP, EAP, and FSD). The radar will be turned off. Implications seem to be:

- Auto full beam and auto wipers are forced on when AP is engaged
- Follow distance is now limited to a min of 2
- Max AP speed is reduced by 5mph

Hit on phantom braking is not clear.

Not sure whether this will be a forward or backward step for those of us with radar.

Might go and look at an MG4. Yeah it’s dorky and has stupid small wheels, but especially if Tesla continuing open more SCs I’ll happily pocket the £15k thanks and not have to eventually deal with the crap auto bs.