Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did post this under 2022.24.x but:
I think there is an improvement.
This morning was my turn for the community paper round. I drove how I normally would. Short distance on AP in the 30 limit.
there aren’t usually any cars parked along my route. Today there was a car parked on the grass verge with its offside wheels in the kerb.
That situation would normally cause panic even just on TACC. Car just sailed past without a second thought. I hope TACC reacts to parked cars that well.

Reactions: prabhu
Omg 🤪😂

Ffs - I might just sell it now
Be careful what you buy:

Kia EV6 GT has got my eye at the moment.

I popped into a local Kia dealer recently to try and blag a test drive and was reminded of how the old school of big glass fronted buildings with salespeople there waiting feels so different to the Tesla way of doing things. I actually prefer the Tesla hands off approach, for the most part, though.

Sales guy told me that I could expect to get one in a year, and that the matte grey was no longer available. They didn't have one on site for me to test drive, so that was that.

(cool story etc)

Reactions: init6
I’m grateful I don’t use AP often. If this is a taste of the future then my next car won’t be a Tesla.
Me too. I use AP on my commute, luckily on relatively quiet stretches of motorway where to be honest my other cars with cruise control worked just as well. By forcing me to use crap technology that is actually detrimental to safety (no control over high beams is both a safety issue, as well as an offence under the RVL Regs) this will be my first and definitely last Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: MrMoonUK
What is amazing is there doesn't seem to be masses of complaints from the US where they've had it a while. You can find threads with these same issues mentioned, but it's clearly not a very loud volume. The fixes are easy, simply don't force on the auto-headlights, if you can turn them off manually and you don't die it's clearly not mandatory.
But strangely, we haven't really seen a mass of complaints from those who took delivery of post-April cars in the UK, either. The odd grumble here or there, maybe, but nothing much.

3E258714-0A5E-4B2D-949F-C16D0C8240A9.png

Hi Kevin,

I note you say that we can always disable the feature and manually control the high beams; however, my email was in part prompted by the news that update 2022.24.6 will roll out Tesla Vision to cars previously using radar, and that as part of this change, auto high beam (and wipers) will now be activated automatically every single time auto pilot is activated.

Yes, they can then be turned off by manually pushing the left stalk forward, but this has to be repeated every single time. Even doing that, it will then not be possible to manually turn on the full beam lights without continuously pulling the stalk back - and this is not always possible depending on the steering input required.

I believe auto high beam as currently implemented is not fit for purpose, and is potentially dangerous. It frequently incorrectly turns off full beam when detecting reflected light from sharp corner warning signs. This is totally unacceptable, as in these circumstances full beam is very much needed.

I am shocked that Tesla is rolling out Tesla Vision to more cars and in doing so enforcing auto high beam (and wipers) on customers. This will result in increased instances of other road users being dazzled by Teslas, and may very well lead to accidents.

Please can you lodge this as a formal complaint about auto high beam, and about the roll out of 2022.24.6.

Please can you also tell me when any meaningful improvements to the operation of auto high beam are planned.

I do not understand why Tesla Vision seeks to enforce auto high beam when a) it is clearly so poorly implemented and b) it can be deactivated at whim by the driver anyway. Either auto high beam is a requirement for Vision to operate safely, or it isn’t. If it is, then it being so poor, and allowing drivers to turn it off whilst still using Vision based autopilot, is scary. If it isn’t, then drivers should be given the option to not have it turn on automatically.

With regard to the auto wipers, and the wiper controls more generally, these are also dangerous in that they frequently do not clear the windscreen quickly enough, and the controls to manually change wiper speed which require using the touchscreen or voice control are completely inadequate. Tesla could easily improve the wiper controls by making a press of the left stalk button temporarily cause the left scroll wheel to become a wiper speed selector. This would enable quick and easy wiper speed increases (or decreases) without the driver having to take their eyes off the road.

Please do pass these comments on to the relevant departments, and I look forward to your and their responses.

Many thanks.

Looks like 2022.24.6 is appearing in the UK now. It contains the change to flip to vision only for AP (so basic AP, EAP, and FSD). The radar will be turned off. Implications seem to be:

- Auto full beam and auto wipers are forced on when AP is engaged
- Follow distance is now limited to a min of 2
- Max AP speed is reduced by 5mph

Hit on phantom braking is not clear.

Not sure whether this will be a forward or backward step for those of us with radar.
I know Tesla has a reputation for cost cutting but I really really hope that the deletion of radar was for genuine performance reasons ( avoidance of sensor conflict or something) and not just to save a few quid in which case I would hope so otherwise what was the point in doing it.

Yes, they can then be turned off by manually pushing the left stalk forward, but this has to be repeated every single time. Even doing that, it will then not be possible to manually turn on the full beam lights without continuously pulling the stalk back - and this is not always possible depending on the steering input required.
Can't you just turn off the auto feature, by tapping the option that comes up on the screen when you enable AP, instead of turning off the high beams using the stalk? Then you can control the high beams normally with the stalk.

Can't you just turn off the auto feature, by tapping the option that comes up on the screen when you enable AP, instead of turning off the high beams using the stalk? Then you can control the high beams normally with the stalk.
Even if that worked…every single time you activate AP though. I must activate AP dozen and dozens of times on a typical drive.

This isn’t the US where people just sit in the same lane for hour after hour (well middle lane numpties might).

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
No you can't. It won't let you turn off the auto button on the lights or wipers while AutoPilot is activated.

I know Tesla has a reputation for cost cutting but I really really hope that the deletion of radar was for genuine performance reasons ( avoidance of sensor conflict or something) and not just to save a few quid in which case I would hope so otherwise what was the point in doing it.
Vision performance overtook (current low-res) radar quite a while ago. Lots of videos from this time last year showing it operating well in fog etc. Some people don't like change though.

Reactions: MrMoonUK and goRt
Vision performance overtook (current low-res) radar quite a while ago. Lots of videos from this time last year showing it operating well in fog etc. Some people don't like change though.
Why is the only Level 3 autonomous vehicle Lidar based then (Merc S/EQS)?
What the camera sees is subject to interpretation (numerous occurences of crashes in white vans, low sun flares, etc).
I have much more trust in a LiDAR. Either there is an obstacle or there isn’t.
Removing radar entirely instead of upgrading it was a big mistake imho and is at least failing to provide users a second layer of safety when it comes to detecting imminent crashes through sensor fusion.

Why do you think even high-end smartphones are bothering to add this costly extra component if depth-of-field/AR could be easily achieved through vision-only?

I don't think anyone was advocating for radar instead of vision. just whether going from two independent sources of data to one is progress. I guess we will see.......

Reactions: WllXM
Even if that worked…every single time you activate AP though. I must activate AP dozen and dozens of times on a typical drive.

How much of your complaint would be resolved if you had EAP or FSD and AP could stay engaged during a lane change? (Or is that one of the things that the regulations disallow over there?)

This isn’t the US where people just sit in the same lane for hour after hour (well middle lane numpties might).

I don't know where you get that idea from. I change lanes all the time.