Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the daytime, the auto steer is now top-notch for all roads. With bad light, auto high beam is a letdown, and the logic is unpredictable. I still cannot guess when and where the high beam would fire, making autosteer and overall driving unpleasant in-town and narrow country roads. I seriously believe this is just a bug that would get fixed in the next update since I have some long trips coming and I am becoming too comfortable driving entirely at night.
You are not supposed to use AP in town or narrow country roads anyway. The AHB probably hasn’t been tested for these situations.

• Disagree
Reactions: melduk and MrBadger
Lol. Auto high beam has been this bad for years. I wouldn’t hold out much hope that it gets suddenly fixed. They probably don’t even appreciate that’s it’s really bad - otherwise why would they force it on millions of owners.

I never really was too bothered, provided it stayed off when switched off.

It’s the fact I’ll now have to push the left stalk forward after every single autopilot activation that completely takes the P.

(Or not install the update)
Yup. Just lol if anyone thinks they’re suddenly going to fix auto high beams like it’s a bug with the latest update.

It’s been trash for as long as I’ve owned the car, 2.5 years now. I’ve seen no discernible improvement in that time.

Yeah - there are two things being talked about here really. Vision based autosteer and TACC - which generally seem okay… and auto high beam, which has always been sh1t but is now going to be forced on people.

Then there’s also enforced auto wipers - look forward to a scratched up windscreen due to regular dry wiping, and insects being mistaken for rain getting smeared all across your (and “Tesla Vision’s”) line of sight.

I guess there is a silver lining to the cars wifi being crap - I needed a dedicated access point for it. WiFi now turned off, just as I did for the v11 release. Took them best part of half the year before they pushed an update over LTE, but hopefully this will buy a little time to see the effects of vision only this time of year.

Don't really fancy auto high beam in the mist/fog... wonder if it will turn on the fog lights instead (joke, it can't even detect if its dark reliably so don't have any hope that it can detect fog - most cars cannot, even though they perfectly know when it's dark) ... High beam should certainly be influenced by setting of fog light though. Even better would be for the car to slow to a safe distance that it can see, oops, pandoras box that comment...

With radar version, TACC (and even Autosteer) was a brilliant aid in foggy conditions, allowing you to keep to a safe visible distance but if visibility suddenly dropped, gave some reassurance that it could briefly 'see' better than you. And if manually driving, forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking was a fallback to provide early warning and/or reduce the impact - I'm not confident that these safety systems will be as effective in these conditions with vision only, but time will tell so happy to let others take one for the team.

Hopefully enough lights in these circumstances for TeslaVision to work its stuff, certainly enough for human vision to drive safely, and it will be superhuman perception for Radar. But its that sudden fog bank and the cars in front suddenly slamming on that is real issue, and only radar as I see it (no pun intended) currently will work best (and far exceed human vision) in that situation. But there is one thing being able to see. A completely different thing being able to get enough information from the scene to know what is going on and how to react.

There’s a fundamental mistake being made by Tesla with this vision only BS - one minute they keep saying humans are rubbish at driving and we need FSD to save mankind, then the next minute they say oh but we need to make FSD work in the same way that humans do - using only eyes.

Just duh.

I guess there is a silver lining to the cars wifi being crap - I needed a dedicated access point for it. WiFi now turned off, just as I did for the v11 release. Took them best part of half the year before they pushed an update over LTE, but hopefully this will buy a little time to see the effects of vision only this time of year.

Don't really fancy auto high beam in the mist/fog... wonder if it will turn on the fog lights instead (joke, it can't even detect if its dark reliably so don't have any hope that it can detect fog - most cars cannot, even though they perfectly know when it's dark) ... High beam should certainly be influenced by setting of fog light though. Even better would be for the car to slow to a safe distance that it can see, oops, pandoras box that comment...

With radar version, TACC (and even Autosteer) was a brilliant aid in foggy conditions, allowing you to keep to a safe visible distance but if visibility suddenly dropped, gave some reassurance that it could briefly 'see' better than you. And if manually driving, forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking was a fallback to provide early warning and/or reduce the impact - I'm not confident that these safety systems will be as effective in these conditions with vision only, but time will tell so happy to let others take one for the team.

Hopefully enough lights in these circumstances for TeslaVision to work its stuff, certainly enough for human vision to drive safely, and it will be superhuman perception for Radar. But its that sudden fog bank and the cars in front suddenly slamming on that is real issue, and only radar as I see it (no pun intended) currently will work best (and far exceed human vision) in that situation. But there is one thing being able to see. A completely different thing being able to get enough information from the scene to know what is going on and how to react.
Despite my early and brief impressions of vision only, I can see the forthcoming “blocked or blinded” season being a disappointment.
I will get a Ranger out when it starts. Last year’s attempt at Norwich SC failed because the cameras cleared by the time I got there.
I’d be slightly less concerned on a run but it’s every day with short drives.

Yesterday, whilst tying to find a way of providing written feedback to Tesla, I ended up emailing the only actual email address I could find which was for feedback on the owner’s manual (it’s crazy they have a dedicated line of contact for feedback on the manual, but not the actual bloody car)….but anyway…. a guy called Daniel Donovan (Manager, Technical Publications) replied, and said he would pass along the feedback to the relevant team.

I’ve asked him to put me in touch with someone in the relevant team.

In the meantime, may I suggest that anyone who feels fairly strongly about this just email Daniel Donovan for now - if he was to receive a dozen or so emails from different people in short order it might stand a chance of making a bit of an impression somewhere in Tesla towers. Just maybe.

[email protected]

Reactions: Zilla91 and Durzel
You're probably right. I did say in the service request that they should "escalate it to whoever they need to". I guess it depends on how proactive the tech that reads it is.
Sadly, I think the easiest way to get anyone to listen is to tweet Elon Musk directly. If enough people tweet him saying the same thing, he might do one of his, “Fine then,“ decisions and get the feature added, such as adding waypoints to routes.

For a company that prides itself on its tech, the hopeless AHB implementation is bizarre. The cars have had matrix LEDs for well over a year now, and we know they can do clever stuff with them (because everyone needs to be able to project TESLA on a wall), and bearing in mind they’re all about vision, how hard should it be do blank out the high-beam LEDs projecting onto other cars?

On the other hand, I have no issues with auto-wipers. If they dry-wipe, it’s because there’s water marks in-front of the camera, so I just wash the windscreen and all good to go.

I've had a Tesla Vision only car since 30th June, the mandatory auto stuff is bad. Once during the day I had some squished bug that triggered the wipers and no amount of washers would shift it. Ended up having to drive manually. I now pack some screen cleaner and a cloth in the car but really. At night I just push the stalk forward and it's then fine, as I have EAP I generally don't need to reactivate as I use lane change. There is also something about weather I saw once, maximum speed under AP was reduced but I didn't catch by how much, still seemed to be above 70.

I do think that the comments about radar in fog are incorrect, you should always be driving at an appropriate speed. I don't think it's valid to suggest that vision is somehow more dangerous.

What is amazing is there doesn't seem to be masses of complaints from the US where they've had it a while. You can find threads with these same issues mentioned, but it's clearly not a very loud volume. The fixes are easy, simply don't force on the auto-headlights, if you can turn them off manually and you don't die it's clearly not mandatory.

Reactions: BillN
What is amazing is there doesn't seem to be masses of complaints from the US where they've had it a while. You can find threads with these same issues mentioned, but it's clearly not a very loud volume. The fixes are easy, simply don't force on the auto-headlights, if you can turn them off manually and you don't die it's clearly not mandatory.
I suspect they maybe aren’t so bothered in the US as for most people driving is straight road to stop line, 90° turn, straight line to traffic light, 90° turn, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Plus lane changing probably isn’t as necessary.

Reactions: CWT3LR and Durzel

I'm not sure it's fair to compare the US to the UK. By all accounts the US have a much different experience overall in their Teslas. The autonomous driving systems are much more confident in their actions and choices. If you've ever watched a video of them Summoning the car, for example, you will see it driving itself with some gusto. Over here it behaves like a s**tting dog.

Also US road layouts and road sizes are completely different.

From reading other threads there does seem to be US owners complaining about auto headlights and wipers as well, so as at those systems are consistently bad worldwide.

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
This morning was my turn for the community paper round. I drove how I normally would. Short distance on AP in the 30 limit.
there aren’t usually any cars parked along my route. Today there was a car parked on the grass verge with its offside wheels in the kerb.
That situation would normally cause panic even just on TACC. Car just sailed past without a second thought. I hope TACC reacts to parked cars that well.
Tesla Vision is not all roses though... I put the car in my single garage and according to the visualisation, there was an articulated lorry on my left. I must tidy the garage 😂

Oh and even though lights weren’t on, auto high beam displayed as active when on AP. Single push forward on the LH stalk turned them off.
Big single garage then 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
I'm not sure it's fair to compare the US to the UK. By all accounts the US have a much different experience overall in their Teslas. The autonomous driving systems are much more confident in their actions and choices. If you've ever watched a video of them Summoning the car, for example, you will see it driving itself with some gusto. Over here it behaves like a s**tting dog.

Also US road layouts and road sizes are completely different.

From reading other threads there does seem to be US owners complaining about auto headlights and wipers as well, so as at those systems are consistently bad worldwide.
As far as I know they have rain, bugs and nighttime in the US, I don't see how anything else matters.

I did wonder for a while if the 'forced' nature was somehow an UNECE only regulation, but that doesn't seem to be the case, there are people in the US with the same complaints with Vision Only as we have. Normally by now someone would be threatening legal action (or a hunger strike like the Norwegians).

Just a query. Is the April ‘22 date commensurate with HW3.0 on the M3/Y? If so, will those of us on HW2.5 retain radar over Vision on 24.6?
HW3 has been supplied on the 3/Y since it came over here. We've never had any HW2.5 cars, as far as I know.

Only very recently was the radar module removed from the cars. Any delivery from around July onwards probably doesn't have it, but it's my understanding that cars earlier than that (possibly April, like you say) were "vision only" in terms of software, i.e. they ignored the installed radar module.

Everyone will end up on "vision only", unless you refuse to take software updates (which adds its own problems eventually), so it's fair to say that everyone will "lose" radar.

Reactions: Burley and BillN
Yeah - eventually, assuming we still own the car then…

For now, it’s a case of weighing up the benefit of some nice to have stuff like the moveable blind spot display and profiles, vs having crappy and potentially dangerous auto features forced on you.

Hmm…

Reactions: Overworked
As far as I know they have rain, bugs and nighttime in the US, I don't see how anything else matters.

I did wonder for a while if the 'forced' nature was somehow an UNECE only regulation, but that doesn't seem to be the case, there are people in the US with the same complaints with Vision Only as we have. Normally by now someone would be threatening legal action (or a hunger strike like the Norwegians).
It matters because they have a completely different AP experience over there.

You should know how relatively limited our AP is, due to UNECE and whatever. The car won't go around a sharpish corner on AP without warning the driver that Autosteer is going to be disabled, and then disabling it, mid corner. As I said if you watch the videos of AP on US Teslas, and Summon, etc the whole experience is a lot more purposeful.

I would suggest it's akin to someone with a lot of confidence taking a few knocks vs someone who is introverted taking the same knocks. The confident person takes it in their stride, and it doesn't affect their behaviour, whereas the introverted person is diminished by it. Perhaps our AP experience doesn't handle "rain, bugs, nighttime", etc the same way the US AP experience does, as a consequence of the overall confidence difference between the two of them.

Obviously I'm making assumptions but I don't think it's a stretch to assume that because the AP experience is so different that the handling of error conditions is different also.

Reactions: OttoR
HW3 has been supplied on the 3/Y since it came over here. We've never had any HW2.5 cars, as far as I know.

Only very recently was the radar module removed from the cars. Any delivery from around July onwards probably doesn't have it, but it's my understanding that cars earlier than that (possibly April, like you say) were "vision only" in terms of software, i.e. they ignored the installed radar module.

Everyone will end up on "vision only", unless you refuse to take software updates (which adds its own problems eventually), so it's fair to say that everyone will "lose" radar.
Afaik the Q1 deliveries this year all included the radar, and the Q2 deliveries did not.

The problem isn't the technology, vision only autopilot works at least as well as previous autopilot, perhaps better. The issue is the forced auto-wipers and auto-dipping headlights. Seems like an easy software fix to allow drivers to more easily override errors in these systems, until the point when they are more accurate.

Reactions: OttoR and init6