Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think that's wise, Sir? As Sgt Wilson once said.

You should slow down sufficiently so as to drive to the road conditions that you can see to be clear as you are the one in charge. This is not like an instrument rated pilot in an aircraft doing instrument flying in cloud and using radar etc.
I do. It’s more the point that radar could catch things that a camera system (or my eyes) don’t resolve in time. There has been a bunch of YT videos of Teslas beeping when detecting an imminent crash ahead.

One might argue that the cameras can do that too, but I’d suggest since AP doesn’t even handle parked cars that this is a dangerous assumption.

During the daytime, Tesla Vision performs much better for me with reduced alerts even with autosteer on city roads. I will repeat another motorway test tonight without the family to see how it performs—also planning to perform headlight alignment to see if it makes any difference.

Daytime use in fine summer weather is one thing, but heading into autumn and winter with dark roads for both rush hours and much more precipitation around is going to be a whole different ball game.

The thought of it turning back on auto HB and wipers every time I have to change lanes to overtake middle lane numpties is nuts.

Oh but maybe it will actually turn out to be a benefit if it’s constantly flashing high beam on and off as I drive up the motorway - maybe that will cause some of the the numpties to wake up and move over!

Reactions: Pandinium
Don’t worry, the cameras in AP2 cars (3/Y) can’t detect oncoming headlights either.

My understanding is that forced auto headlights/wipers is because the Tesla Vision system needs optimum camera visibility to work correctly. This speaks volumes about its reliability in my opinion. If both these systems worked like most cars do (i.e. you turn them on and they take care of themselves and you forget it even has them) then it would be no issue. As it is, they are useless. I don’t want to end up constantly flashed by oncoming cars because of an unreliable system I can’t disable.
Auto high beam works fine on my new Model Y, works exactly like my last car, can be slow sometimes and get it wrong, but thats not just tesla

I can honestly say, the last 5 cars of mine from other manufacturers all had auto high beam and they all worked far better.

None were perfect, but they didn't do the on/off mad toggle thing and all dimmed before blinding the other driver. Whenever I use auto high beam in the Tesla, I always get flashed at. So I totally lost confidence and gave up on it.

Some roads work better than others, rural roads being the worst. When manually controlled, I can spot the opposite car headlights beaming around a bend or over a hill and I react just before I see the car. In previous cars it didn't do that, but the response time was so quick that it didn't make much difference. Again with Tesla, it responds in seconds and not milliseconds.

If Tesla could ramp up the response time and deal with the indecisive edge cases, it can easily become rather good. My concern is, have they done their usual and limited themselves on the hardware by refusing to accept dedicated sensors are still better than multipurpose cameras. It may well be that multi purpose cameras are the answer, but the software still isn't quite there yet.

Not really, works just as well as my last car, its not perfect is what I’m saying, but neither is any other auto high beam system
With respect I'd humbly suggest that if you haven't seen what's possible then perhaps you shouldn't make objective statements about it. :)

I'm not even talking about S-class level 1.3 megapixel lighting, the Peugeot e-2008 (~50% the cost of my M3P) I had recently on a 2 month subscription did auto main beam perfectly, and I mean perfectly - to the point where I forgot it was there, which is the goal of any system like that. It was fast at switching off, fast at turning back on again, went off properly in street lit areas, etc.

Reactions: goRt and browellm
Agree with the last 3 comments. The Tesla system is complete sh1t in comparison to any half decent competitor system from the last 5 years.

And this is before we even get to matrix functionality, cornering lights etc.

A very simple and basic turn HB off when there’s clearly another vehicle coming at me, and then turn it back on immediately once it’s gone, should not be this hard.

Tesla need to seriously invest some time and effort in the basics, even if it means putting solving Chuck’s turn or whatever on hold for a while.

What’s the best way for customers to provide feedback??

Reactions: goRt and Durzel
Agree with the last 3 comments. The Tesla system is complete sh1t in comparison to any half decent competitor system from the last 5 years.

And this is before we even get to matrix functionality, cornering lights etc.

A very simple and basic turn HB off when there’s clearly another vehicle coming at me, and then turn it back on immediately once it’s gone, should not be this hard.

Tesla need to seriously invest some time and effort in the basics, even if it means putting solving Chuck’s turn or whatever on hold for a while.

What’s the best way for customers to provide feedback??
It's not like Tesla is a technology company 🤣

So - you have to go through your account page and then support and then pick from a very limited drop down which doesn’t include what you want to raise to be able to ask a question…eg when are you going to improve auto high beam because it’s completely hopeless as currently implemented.

If everyone did this en masse it may get a tiny bit of attention somewhere..

• Informative
Reactions: Zilla91

The really poor performance in Tesla's system comes from following tail lights. It just doesn't recognise them at distance.

And regularly dipping for road signs, especially chevrons warning of tight bends ahead(!) is really the icing on the cake.

Reactions: Durzel
The really poor performance in Tesla's system comes from following tail lights. It just doesn't recognise them at distance.

And regularly dipping for road signs, especially chevrons warning of tight bends ahead(!) is really the icing on the cake.
Yep - I quickly realised that auto HB is actively dangerous - mostly because it doesn’t even allow you to properly override in the moment and manually turn on persistent HB. You can only override by continuously pulling the stalk - which of course you can’t always do safely when steering!!

That’s just crazily dangerous.

I think a lot of these flaws are symptoms of a car designed by people who drive in straight lines from traffic light to traffic light.

Reactions: Alex987854
Lol.

Don’t get why Tesla would enforce auto high beam if they then allow people to immediately turn it off anyway.

Either it’s a necessity for Tesla Vision, or it isn’t…

34D6B49C-7329-4ED2-B76E-01AA0F617353.jpeg
60E59ED0-75A0-4D28-9F3A-5D6C250A58F9.jpeg

Reactions: Durzel
According to the manual this only impacts cars built after April 2022, so a lot of us 'legacy' users shouldn't have an issue. It appears only to impact Autosteer, so TACC should be ok:

Note
Auto High Beam is automatically enabled when Autosteer is engaged for vehicles manufactured after approximately April 2022. To switch to low beam headlights, push the turn signal stalk forward and release. Auto High Beam is re-enabled every time Autosteer is activated.

According to the manual this only impacts cars built after April 2022, so a lot of us 'legacy' users shouldn't have an issue. It appears only to impact Autosteer, so TACC should be ok:
That message might predate all cars being moved over to Tesla Vision though. It would make no sense at all, per what @BillN said, for auto high beams to be required for TV… but only on certain cars, and only for as long as the driver wants them to be on.. 🤪