Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2022.24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I rushed into the garage and whipped the driver’s door open and the alarm didn’t sound.
On the other hand, the car had lost about 1% battery and may have had a sleepless night after the update 😂
It’s promising!
I’ll have a drive in the dark tonight and check whether auto high beam engages on AP. Car hasn’t moved yet and it’s still set to off

Reactions: Adopado and Durzel
2022.24.5 dropped for me last night, just had a play with the new profiles feature.

You get a new profile on the car for each account that the car is associated with (in addition to any profiles you already have defined in the car) rather than associating an existing profile with your account.

Note of caution, because I missed out, you get one opportunity when you first edit the cloud profile to copy settings from another profile and after that you have to set it up as if it's a new profile.

That's not necessarily a big problem if you already have your profile selected but I happened to have Easy Entry selected so I ended up having to adjust everything again including things like navigation favourites .
My thanks to @SpareHeadOne for this post. I thought it worth bumping it if a general rollout is coming

I’m reading that with 24.6 auto high beam and auto wipers activate every time you engage TACC…and that you can deactivate, but have to do it every single time TACC is re-engaged - so like with every single lane change.

F THAT.

Edit - actually it sounds like the auto wipers are mandatory with TACC and can’t be turned off whilst TACC is on.

Last edited:
My last 2 cars (BMW and Subaru) worked just fine with camara based cruise control/driver assist. Subaru EyeSight was actually pretty impressive.

There are two key takes from this.

1. Concerns are with car safety features that would normally be handled by radar. Not optional driver assist features - already use to those being degraded in certain weather conditions (wait for all the threads about cameras blocked or blinded which will start appearing over the next few weeks). It is not acceptable for car safety conditions to be degraded in what for a significant part of the UK, is normal climate conditions for a not insignificant period of time.

2. Those cars were not a Tesla. To put an example to that differentiation, for most of last winter, Tesla managed to disable the front windscreen demist/deice feature for the camera area. It was working the year before, but when its Tesla, you are never quite sure what feature they are going to break next with a software update. Last year it was front window camera demisting, year before 32A charging etc etc. So, putting that in context, had the car been Tesla vision, for much of last Autumn/Winter there would have been no functional front/main camera for significant portions of many drives, short of the driver getting the de-icer and ice scraper out ahead of many drives to clear the 6" square section of windscreen that had not cleared when the rest of the car had fully demisted/de-iced. Oh, and being a Tesla, you scrape too hard then you scratch the window, which permanently buggers the view of the cameras. Please don't ask how I know how easy it is to scratch the glass of a Tesla windscreen - on my second windscreen thanks to Tesla managing to put a big scratch down 80% the height of the windscreen and only showed in climate conditions that occur, well, around this time of year.

But, if they were to admit that Tesla Vision really doesn't work in the UK, they'd have to physically recall a large number of UK vehicles to retrofit radar to them. I really can't see that happening.

At the end of the day, if performance if deemed to be insufficient, then the insurance companies and DVSA/VOSA will have their say, and with the latter, Tesla may have their hand forced. There is one thing selling a car that performs (in this case, safety features) to a certain level, but selling a car then at a later stage possibly degrading those safety features because of an arbitrary software update will be an interesting topic to follow. I suspect cars already sold without radar, if they were type approved as such will be ok, but disabling radar on previously type approved vehicles will be an interesting one, especially for the insurance industry. This is all speculation based on the unknown of how a previously equipped radar car will perform compared to the vision only update. Not long before low sun, ice, fog and mists start to roll in... apart from low sun, all circumstances which radar equipped car has handled admirably safety feature wise, and driver assist on most occasions.

Reactions: Durzel
I’m reading that with 24.6 auto high beam and auto wipers activate every time you engage TACC…and that you can deactivate, but have to do it every single time TACC is re-engaged - so like with every single lane change.

F THAT.

Edit - actually it sounds like the auto wipers are mandatory with TACC and can’t be turned off whilst TACC is on.
I'm praying I get offered 24.5, which apparently doesn't have Tesla Vision. I very much doubt I get that though, my luck is never that good.

It's also delaying the inevitable really. I don't think Tesla Vision is ready, but then neither are most "normal" things like wipers (actually legit in beta) and headlights.

EDIT: Woke my car up, and of course it started downloading 24.6.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilly
I'm praying I get offered 24.5, which apparently doesn't have Tesla Vision. I very much doubt I get that though, my luck is never that good.

It's also delaying the inevitable really. I don't think Tesla Vision is ready, but then neither are most "normal" things like wipers (actually legit in beta) and headlights.

EDIT: Woke my car up, and of course it started downloading 24.6.
I really want the moveable blind spot display, but really don’t want this auto high beam and wipers rubbish.

At least not until (if) they are much improved.

TV I could cope with I think - it’s the high beam and wipers that will p me off.

I really want the moveable blind spot display, but really don’t want this auto high beam and wipers rubbish.

At least not until (if) they are much improved.

TV I could cope with I think - it’s the high beam and wipers that will p me off.
I'm the same.. I definitely want the blind spot display movement feature, but not enough to mess up my AP.

My car fell asleep while it was halfway downloading 24.6. It knows it's no good.

• Funny
Reactions: OttoR and Dilly
I've put in a service request to have 2022.24.5 applied to my car instead, for the following reasons:
  1. I consider Tesla Vision as a downgrade on what my AP/TACC experience currently is, due to the forced enablement of auto headlights and wipers

2. I consider radar to be a valuable sensor for situations in which the cameras can't resolve things properly (e.g. fog). There is evidence of pre-emptive warnings where radar has spotted something in less than ideal conditions.

3. I haven't had any notable phantom braking episodes in my car (I acknowledge they exist though), so there is nothing to "fix" in my case.

4. Looking at TeslaFi there are pre-MIC cars that have gone from 2022.20.8 to 2022.24.5, so there is no question of incompatibility.
I realise it's a short lived thing, and eventually we'll all have no choice, but I want to keep radar for as long as possible. I don't have confidence that Tesla Vision is any better, and there is evidence to suggest its actually worse.

This is the first update I haven't immediately installed. :(

Reactions: OttoR and Zilla91
I've put in a service request to have 2022.24.5 applied to my car instead, for the following reasons:
  1. I consider Tesla Vision as a downgrade on what my AP/TACC experience currently is, due to the forced enablement of auto headlights and wipers

2. I consider radar to be a valuable sensor for situations in which the cameras can't resolve things properly (e.g. fog). There is evidence of pre-emptive warnings where radar has spotted something in less than ideal conditions.

3. I haven't had any notable phantom braking episodes in my car (I acknowledge they exist though), so there is nothing to "fix" in my case.

4. Looking at TeslaFi there are pre-MIC cars that have gone from 2022.20.8 to 2022.24.5, so there is no question of incompatibility.
I realise it's a short lived thing, and eventually we'll all have no choice, but I want to keep radar for as long as possible. I don't have confidence that Tesla Vision is any better, and there is evidence to suggest its actually worse.

This is the first update I haven't immediately installed. :(
I’ll have a test drive tonight and see what happens. My wipers have been pretty well behaved on auto from new so that’s not an issue. Auto main beam was crap. Tried it once, it was useless. If it is fixed with TACC/AP on my model, I’ll raise a service request to remove it.

Worth mentioning that bumper mounted radar can't detect headlights of oncoming vehicles or detect oncoming vehicles the otherside of a central reservation barrier. I'd be interested if anyone has technical experience of auto headlights from other manufacturers. The system I have had experience of was a Bosch OEM system that most definitely only used video cameras. So any failing of auto headlights relate to software not hardware as far as I can see.

... I consider radar to be a valuable sensor for situations in which the cameras can't resolve things properly (e.g. fog). There is evidence of pre-emptive warnings where radar has spotted something in less than ideal conditions.
Do you think that's wise, Sir? As Sgt Wilson once said.

You should slow down sufficiently so as to drive to the road conditions that you can see to be clear as you are the one in charge. This is not like an instrument rated pilot in an aircraft doing instrument flying in cloud and using radar etc.

Reactions: M1tch
Don’t worry, the cameras in AP2 cars (3/Y) can’t detect oncoming headlights either.

My understanding is that forced auto headlights/wipers is because the Tesla Vision system needs optimum camera visibility to work correctly. This speaks volumes about its reliability in my opinion. If both these systems worked like most cars do (i.e. you turn them on and they take care of themselves and you forget it even has them) then it would be no issue. As it is, they are useless. I don’t want to end up constantly flashed by oncoming cars because of an unreliable system I can’t disable.

Reactions: CWT3LR