Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankly, I don’t much like the uncertainty!
Yeah, I literally just sold my ID.3 today on motorway.co.uk so from when the dealer who bought it picks it up until my Tesla collection day I'll be carless! I can get by without a car as I can get to work on public transport, so it isn't essential for me to have one and I wanted to know for sure how much I'd get for my ID.3 as early as possible. But it does mean I'm a bit grounded in terms of trips further afield to see friends and suchlike. Let's hope Tesla hit to their March estimate for me... I too look forward to the day when the "probably March" estimate turns into more of a "definitely on this day" sort of thing! :D

I sold my previous car in September and it would have been convenient to have taken a M3P from inventory but I really wanted to wait for the MYP drivetrain and 22-plate.

I really hope mine isn’t registered before 1 March but working backwards from a March delivery date then it sounds like this could happen?

I sold my previous car in September and it would have been convenient to have taken a M3P from inventory but I really wanted to wait for the MYP drivetrain and 22-plate.

I really hope mine isn’t registered before 1 March but working backwards from a March delivery date then it sounds like this could happen?
Yeah, it'd be nice to get the new plate wouldn't it. First week in March is what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for! Though I wouldn't delay it to the point I'm unmatched just to get a 22 reg, but if the Tesla gods are listening, first week in March is what I'm hoping you come through with for milesr3 and I!

I ordered Model 3 RWD on 18th December.
I noticed that UK models display different range to US.
RWD 18" aero wheels - 317 miles
RWD 19" sport wheels - 305 miles
Whereas LR are:
LR 18" aero wheel - 375
LR 19" sport wheels - 360

Am I right in thinking that because I will be be able to charge RWD model to 100% (lfp battery) the difference in range (for every day use) will be pretty similar to LR model (if you charge to 80% most days)?
I will be using the car to commute mostly (30 miles round trip) and short distances and occasionally for longer trips. I'm still unsure if I made a right decision about going for RWD. I know about other benefits of LR (acceleration, sound system etc) but from only "range" point of view I do not really see that much difference in range for every day use if I charge RWD to 100%. Am I right ?

I ordered Model 3 RWD on 18th December.
I noticed that UK models display different range to US.
RWD 18" aero wheels - 317 miles
RWD 19" sport wheels - 305 miles
Whereas LR are:
LR 18" aero wheel - 375
LR 19" sport wheels - 360

Am I right in thinking that because I will be be able to charge RWD model to 100% (lfp battery) the difference in range (for every day use) will be pretty similar to LR model (if you charge to 80% most days)?
I will be using the car to commute mostly (30 miles round trip) and short distances and occasionally for longer trips. I'm still unsure if I made a right decision about going for RWD. I know about other benefits of LR (acceleration, sound system etc) but from only "range" point of view I do not really see that much difference in range for every day use if I charge RWD to 100%. Am I right ?
I'm new here myself, so others will correct me if I have it wrong. But from what I've read, when new you get a bit more range out of the LR versus the RWD if both are charged to 100% (I'll still charge my LR to 100% occasionally for trips where I really need to), but the LR will lose a bit of range through battery degradation over time. I'm getting a LR, so if you and I did a distance race on day 1 I would beat you. But if we run the same race after a few years of ownership it might be a lot closer! :)

I didn't order a LR for the range though. I just sold an ID.3 with a WLTP range of 260 (obviously does less than this in reality), and that's plenty even without the Supercharger network. I got the LR for the acceleration, sound system, and AWD balance/traction.

Am I right ?
Yes. The RWD allows 100% battery charge on a regular basis so range is as good if not better if you only charged an LR to 80%. Obviously if you are only doing 30 miles a day then only being able to use 80% range on the LR isn't a problem.

The LR should get a larger battery in the UK soon, so the 360 miles range will increase to around 380 miles - that will put it at 80% near enough level with the RWD at 100%.

On a long trip you will probably have to charge both up so doesn't really make a difference. Buy the LR for performance and spec, not for extra range.

Thanks both. That's good to know! I feel better now with RWD decision. I know should system would have been an added bonus but as this is my first Tesla will go with RWD for now given my driving habits and if I need to go further I'll just suck it up!
@AutomaticMan I tried selling my car on motorway too but had a better offer via carwow so in the same boat as you - no car until March probably!

Reactions: AutomaticMan
No, for a M3P with the cat 3 rear motor and LG battery out of the MYP.
Understood.

Why do you want the smaller battery with less range? I don't think there is much in the motor change. If you can guarantee the new MCU and other changes then I'd agree, otherwise personally I would have taken the inventory vehicle.

Yes. The RWD allows 100% battery charge on a regular basis so range is as good if not better if you only charged an LR to 80%. Obviously if you are only doing 30 miles a day then only being able to use 80% range on the LR isn't a problem.

The LR should get a larger battery in the UK soon, so the 360 miles range will increase to around 380 miles - that will put it at 80% near enough level with the RWD at 100%.

On a long trip you will probably have to charge both up so doesn't really make a difference. Buy the LR for performance and spec, not for extra range.

With these bigger batteries, I'm guessing there's no chance of getting those on a March delivery model? Because if there were Tesla would be advertising them as having 380 miles on the website, right? I'm assuming Tesla won't sell you a 360 mile car but actually give you a 380 mile car out of the kindness of their hearts? But maybe with all this seeming randomness of cars going out at the same time with all kinds of different components it's possible?

@AutomaticMan I tried selling my car on motorway too but had a better offer via carwow so in the same boat as you - no car until March probably!

The UK's rail network will be full of people who have ordered Teslas, impatiently refreshing the order page on their phones to see if they've been matched to a car yet 😁

With these bigger batteries, I'm guessing there's no chance of getting those on a March delivery model? Because if there were Tesla would be advertising them as having 380 miles on the website, right?
First report of a UK car with this new battery pack on here today - delivered at the end of Dec.

The fact that Tesla hasn't changed the spec on the website means there will probably be both types for the short term - if you get the new one it's a bonus, if you don't then you get the spec you ordered.

Why do you want the smaller battery with less range?
It could prove to be a mistake, but the LG battery is reputed to give more consistent performance towards lower SoC and less voltage drop when supplying high currents. Coupled with the higher rated motor there should be an immediate step in performance, despite no change to the published spec, with the potential for further OTA improvements.

It could also be argued that having a car that performs well with <70% SoC will mean that I will be less inclined to degrade the battery through using higher charge levels. The 12 miles difference in WLTP range is quite insignificant when new and will probably diminish over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrT3
First report of a UK car with this new battery pack on here today - delivered at the end of Dec.

The fact that Tesla hasn't changed the spec on the website means there will probably be both types for the short term - if you get the new one it's a bonus, if you don't then you get the spec you ordered.

Nice! Ok, come on benevolent Tesla gods... grant me a 1st week in March delivery, MCU3, and a bigger than advertised battery! 🤞

Yeah, I literally just sold my ID.3 today on motorway.co.uk so from when the dealer who bought it picks it up until my Tesla collection day I'll be carless! I can get by without a car as I can get to work on public transport, so it isn't essential for me to have one and I wanted to know for sure how much I'd get for my ID.3 as early as possible. But it does mean I'm a bit grounded in terms of trips further afield to see friends and suchlike. Let's hope Tesla hit to their March estimate for me... I too look forward to the day when the "probably March" estimate turns into more of a "definitely on this day" sort of thing! :D
Sold my Merc B250E in Nov last - like you I wanted an uncomplicated purchase! I’m wintering in Spain currently - but back to UK 2 Feb 22. I’ll only have a motorhome for local travel! Feb delivery not looking likely - as the weeks go in!

yeah.. I already announced my HR that I will not need company car from 1st of March... issue is that I need to be in office 2 days per week. and office is 170 miles away :))))))

I'll post this in the 2022 as technically even thought my order was in August 2021 the "potential" delivery is in March.

Irish Tesla numbers are in from stats.beepbeep.ie and make interesting reading.

878 cars M3's registered in 2021 compared to 724 in 2021 an increase of 18.5%.

In that time the overall EV market has jumped 115% with 8646 EV registered in 2021 compared to 4013 in 2020. This shows there is a market there but this maybe not a priority market for Tesla.

If you look at the UK market Tesla was the 2nd best selling car overall 34,783 car (increase of 40% from 2020) where as in Ireland Tesla wasn't even the best selling EV and 39th on the list overall.

In regards population 67 million Vs 5 million and registrations if Ireland was on a par with the UK we would have 2434 registrations/deliveries when we had 878 (35% of that). Irish and UK adoption rate % have been very similar in the last year's jumped a lot in UK but this driven by Tesla, no doubt would have been the same here with a better supply

In my view the reason for this is Tesla focusing on UK for RHD due the energy crisis (in UK) and also Brexit has impacted Ireland as instead of cars being dropped in Southampton and transported their taken to Zeebrugge and logistics are more difficult. Easier for them just to offload RHD's for UK market.

Poor form from Tesla in my view bit part acknowledgment of Irish market. Anyways there's the stats looked at from my side but also be aware I have an order in since last August and gotten diddly squat.

Reactions: Ambergold

If it's any comfort; assuming Tesla sticks to their ways that they've done-so before.
You'll get a text to confirm your Pick-up Date. Tesla doesn't 'register' the car until the morning of Pickup. Hence why you'll need to ring your insurance company to give them the plate on the day, or the day before.

If you delay your delivery until the 1st week of March, the delivery advisors will know why you're doing so, and (hopefully) won't register it early for you