Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 P Pearl White with White interior ordered, hoping it arrives in March as estimated :)

Anyone know if it can be delivered to a Tesla store instead of one of the strange locations they suggest?
When I was ordering, it allowed me to pick specific tesla store for delivery. Now I see that it has been automatically changed to Thorne park. So I guess there are no options for delivery.

I ordered a M3P on 19 December, estimated for delivery in March. I decided not to take an available car from inventory with the BT42 Panasonic 82kWh battery. It looks like it will come with the BT43 LG 79kWh battery, as these now appear to be fitted to the LR and P models for UK with the revised 340 mile WLTP range.

Hoping that I get a 1 March or later delivery date and the MY22 revisions, including the MYP rear motor and 15.5v li-ion battery...

Last edited:

Attachments

• Akkuhistory.jpg
    Akkuhistory.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 140
Difficult one to call. Seems US vehicles are now being delivered with the updates so Europe should start getting them too. However if the larger battery in the LR is anything to go by, the UK seems to be the place to use up old stock so we may not get them as quickly as others.

If those changes are important to you then I'd personally wait until we have confirmed deliveries in the UK - place an order now but defer delivered until the next quarter if they don't start appearing in Feb/Early March.
Just reading about this for the first time, it certainly does seem like the AMD processor would be worth waiting an extra month or two. How certain do you think we could be that if some UK M3s arrive with the new processor, all the ones shipped in that batch will have it? Wonder if it is best to be on the safe side and just defer to the next quarter?

How does deferring work? Tesla say "hey, we'll be delivering your car on this date" and you write back to say "I'm not ready yet, please can I have it later?" You don't have to make another deposit or anything?

Just reading about this for the first time, it certainly does seem like the AMD processor would be worth waiting an extra month or two. How certain do you think we could be that if some UK M3s arrive with the new processor, all the ones shipped in that batch will have it? Wonder if it is best to be on the safe side and just defer to the next quarter?

How does deferring work? Tesla say "hey, we'll be delivering your car on this date" and you write back to say "I'm not ready yet, please can I have it later?" You don't have to make another deposit or anything?

Or could I just refuse the car on the day? So, I go down to pick it up, check in the infotainment system what processor it is running on, and then if it's the old one say "I don't want this car, unmatch me please and I'll take one from the next batch"... are you allowed to do that? I guess I wouldn't be their favourite customer even if you are! 😆

I picked up on 2nd December and still only had the 75Kwh battery. As @MrT3 says - changed in Europe but not UK Models.
Well picked up in December might mean it was built in end of september, no?
Because it had to be loaded to a ship at the end of October, latest in order to be available in UK for 3rs of December, no?

How much time it takes to give the car away once it touched UK soil? At least a week I would presume?

Well picked up in December might mean it was built in end of september, no?
No, except for the odd exception. To date Tesla build and sell their vehicles in the same quarter. November 21 delivered vehicles were built in early Oct, Dec deliveries would be built in late Oct / Nov.

All Q4 Europe LRs had the new battery (apart from a couple of exceptions). All Q4 UK vehicles had old battery. It looks like some, if not all, Q1 22 UK LRs will have the old battery too as Tesla hasn't updated the vehicle spec online.

How certain do you think we could be that if some UK M3s arrive with the new processor, all the ones shipped in that batch will have it? Wonder if it is best to be on the safe side and just defer to the next quarter?
That is a difficult one to answer. It is going to depend on how many processors AMD can supply (and the other OEMs for the supporting components), and how many Intel have left to supply under their existing contract.

You would expect Tesla to want a nice clean change over but supply chain limitations and contracts may not allow that. A similar situation with the new style rear light clusters - they move to a new design for the second half of Q3, with thousands of vehicles with the new lights delivered then the old style makes a reappearance in Q4.

For all we know the UK is going to be the country to run down their Intel supplies so we don't get the upgrade for some time.

Basically that. You say you aren't in a position to take delivery. It happens to people who aren't wanting to delay, but are just on holiday for a couple of weeks and cannot accept the dates provided, so you then go back into the waiting pool to be matched again - in theory you could be matched again in the same quarter but normally you aren't matched until the next one.

You don't lose your deposit, but you can only do it a few time before Tesla will threaten to cancel your order.

Or could I just refuse the car on the day?
Not sure on the legal ramifications as you would normally need to have a reason to reject a vehicle, and the processor being used isn't one as it wasn't in your sale agreement that you would be getting a specific one. Tesla would have your money on pickup day so you then have to go through the hassle of getting a refund, unless you are happy for Tesla to hold £50k+ for a few months.

Reactions: AutomaticMan
That is a difficult one to answer. It is going to depend on how many processors AMD can supply (and the other OEMs for the supporting components), and how many Intel have left to supply under their existing contract.

You would expect Tesla to want a nice clean change over but supply chain limitations and contracts may not allow that. A similar situation with the new style rear light clusters - they move to a new design for the second half of Q3, with thousands of vehicles with the new lights delivered then the old style makes a reappearance in Q4.

For all we know the UK is going to be the country to run down their Intel supplies so we don't get the upgrade for some time.

Basically that. You say you aren't in a position to take delivery. It happens to people who aren't wanting to delay, but are just on holiday for a couple of weeks and cannot accept the dates provided, so you then go back into the waiting pool to be matched again - in theory you could be matched again in the same quarter but normally you aren't matched until the next one.

You don't lose your deposit, but you can only do it a few time before Tesla will threaten to cancel your order.

Not sure on the legal ramifications as you would normally need to have a reason to reject a vehicle, and the processor being used isn't one as it wasn't in your sale agreement that you would be getting a specific one. Tesla would have your money on pickup day so you then have to go through the hassle of getting a refund, unless you are happy for Tesla to hold £50k+ for a few months.

Oh blimey, sounds like Tesla buying in the UK is a bit of a lottery then! I think what I'll do is keep an eye on forums to see whether UK people are reporting getting AMD processors this year and, if they are, keep my fingers crossed that my car has one and just live with the disappointment if it turns out that it doesn't. And then if instead UK people are reporting still getting Intel processors, I'll probably defer by pretending I need another month to get the money together and hope that pushes me into the next quarter (and hope by the next quarter the AMD processors arrive here!).

So, yes, anyone in the UK who gets a delivery in this quarter, please report back to the thread which processor you got! :)

Oh blimey, sounds like Tesla buying in the UK is a bit of a lottery then! I think what I'll do is keep an eye on forums to see whether UK people are reporting getting AMD processors this year and, if they are, keep my fingers crossed that my car has one and just live with the disappointment if it turns out that it doesn't. And then if instead UK people are reporting still getting Intel processors, I'll probably defer by pretending I need another month to get the money together and hope that pushes me into the next quarter (and hope by the next quarter the AMD processors arrive here!).

So, yes, anyone in the UK who gets a delivery in this quarter, please report back to the thread which processor you got! :)
The evolution of Tesla cars is a continuing process so there will be another reason to defer if you go down that path. What about the 4680 batteries 'coming soon', improved suspension, new colours, 'made in Berlin cars' etc, etc.

You need to get off the fence at some point - your only regret will be why did I waste my time dithering when you eventually get your car and start enjoying it - see previous discussions on tail lights if you want to see the 'Osborne Effect' in action.

The evolution of Tesla cars is a continuing process so there will be another reason to defer if you go down that path. What about the 4680 batteries 'coming soon', improved suspension, new colours, 'made in Berlin cars' etc, etc.

You need to get off the fence at some point - your only regret will be why did I waste my time dithering when you eventually get your car and start enjoying it - see previous discussions on tail lights if you want to see the 'Osborne Effect' in action.
Haha... it's funny you say that, because after my post I continued to nose around the forums and read the tail light thread and think I've also come to that conclusion! 😆

I guess it is always possible that Tesla might offer an aftermarket upgrade from MCU2 to MCU3 in the future anyway. I see they offer an upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. I'm sure it would cost a decent amount, but I think I could console myself by speculating that I might be able to spend money to get my car the new processor one day even if it doesn't come with it from the factory.

Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next shipments into the UK do have it and they don't raid the "obsolete parts - for using up on UK market" bin at the factory this time! 😁 Looking forward to some new Model 3s showing up in the UK over the next couple of months to hear from owners what new goodies they did/didn't get!

And you continue paying fuel price whilst dithering too ;)

I ordered a Red SR with White Interior on 14 Dec. Delivery was predicted for Feb 22. I’ve not heard a thing from Tesla - though my account is in place. when I called customer service - he could tell me nothing about production, shipping etc. As far as I could gather - Tesla build Model 3s ‘on spec’ - the ship them to UK. Only when cars get to UK to they match orders with the available ‘stock’! That’s novel!
Frankly, I don’t much like the uncertainty!

Reactions: Staypuffman
I ordered a Red SR with White Interior on 14 Dec. Delivery was predicted for Feb 22. I’ve not heard a thing from Tesla - though my account is in place. when I called customer service - he could tell me nothing about production, shipping etc. As far as I could gather - Tesla build Model 3s ‘on spec’ - the ship them to UK. Only when cars get to UK to they match orders with the available ‘stock’! That’s novel!
Welcome to “The Tesla Way”

As far as I could gather - Tesla build Model 3s ‘on spec’ - the ship them to UK. Only when cars get to UK to they match orders with the available ‘stock’! That’s novel!
You will normally get matched when the vehicles have just left China, a number of weeks before they arrive in the UK. You won't get an update until then. Once you get assigned a vehicle the next communication will be to schedule a collection/delivery - typically 2 weeks before the dates offered. Then 1 week before collection/delivery you will be assigned a registration number.