Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, anyone tried the Direct Line insurance recently for M3?

I went to DL for the new quote (still got 2 quotes active) and they "cannot provide the quote". same issue as Peugeot.

is it connected with the fact that it is 2022 vehicle or wtf?
Yep, had to do it on the phone as the website requires a registration number. They accepted my VIN on the phone and advised to call back with the registration as soon as I have it.

Reactions: Snowy77
are there big differences between SR+/RWD and LR? my SR+ was already group 48 I think and it maxes out at 50, and the price isn’t that different all things considered.

My 2021 SR+ was £429 renewed this month (esure) so I’m hoping switching to the LR won’t bump too much..

There are so many factors to consider, so it is almost pointless trying to compare quotes. I got £430 from Peugeot (which they now will not honour I am told), but have more recently had quotes around £600 from Admiral and others. Your age, driving history, postcode/location, mileage and type of business (if insuring for business use) will all have an impact on your premiums. As ever, it really pays to shop around!

Reactions: hate2wait
are there big differences between SR+/RWD and LR? my SR+ was already group 48 I think and it maxes out at 50, and the price isn’t that different all things considered.

My 2021 SR+ was £429 renewed this month (esure) so I’m hoping switching to the LR won’t bump too much..
LR has two motors, hence replacing damaged motors in case of an accident is twice as expensive hence premium for 2 motors is substantially higher than 1 motor hence why 98% of insurance companies in UK either don't insure Teslas and those which do quote astronomical figures, namely, 2500-3500 pounds. Tesla as a company pays subsidies to Directline (as its parent Churchill) so that Directline may provide more reasonable premiums so Tesla vehicles can be more affordable otherwise no one in UK would purchase one. Tesla in return for subsidy it pays Directline (which neither Tesla or Directline will admit) hikes up the price of UK Teslas by 5,000-6,000 pounds depending on model versus the same vehicle purchased in France, Italy and the continent. I am currently moving back to USA from UK and the new Tesla M3/LR I purchased in USA cost approx $10,000 less than the equivalent vehicle I just purchased last month from Tesla UK which I am forced to sell now. The insurance in USA is 1/3 of the premium I currently pay Directline of 650 annually.

Think it's likely that ~600 seems to be the most diversely average quote that crops up a lot. Won't be using it for daily commute, i'm just your (to quote Def Leppard):

I'm your average ordinary everyday dude
Drivin' with my baby
To get her in the mood

*ahem...*

point being that for you average 10k miles / year useage, domestic and pleasure, private driveway and almost 8 centuries of no claims in a neighbourhood with more curtain twitchers than Coronation Street, £600 seems pretty good, anything around £500 is a lottery win.

Reactions: dboyo
Just made the payment into Tesla's account and emailed them the screen shot. Now the anxious wait for a reply begins, during which time I'll fear that I've been taken in by the world's most elaborate scam, I'll never see my money again, and Tesla never really existed in the first place... 🤣

When I was comparing meerkats to get an idea of insurance mine looked like it'd be around £600-£700. My issue is that I worked overseas for a while, so only have 2 years no claims discount. I'll compare meerkats again a bit closer to collection day, and call Direct Line to see if they can beat them.

There are so many factors to consider, so it is almost pointless trying to compare quotes. I got £430 from Peugeot (which they now will not honour I am told), but have more recently had quotes around £600 from Admiral and others. Your age, driving history, postcode/location, mileage and type of business (if insuring for business use) will all have an impact on your premiums. As ever, it really pays to shop around!
they honour the quote I have (not that good though) but still cannot order without reg :D

Reactions: jmhumphreys
LR has two motors, hence replacing damaged motors in case of an accident is twice as expensive hence premium for 2 motors is substantially higher than 1 motor hence why 98% of insurance companies in UK either don't insure Teslas and those which do quote astronomical figures, namely, 2500-3500 pounds. Tesla as a company pays subsidies to Directline (as its parent Churchill) so that Directline may provide more reasonable premiums so Tesla vehicles can be more affordable otherwise no one in UK would purchase one. Tesla in return for subsidy it pays Directline (which neither Tesla or Directline will admit) hikes up the price of UK Teslas by 5,000-6,000 pounds depending on model versus the same vehicle purchased in France, Italy and the continent. I am currently moving back to USA from UK and the new Tesla M3/LR I purchased in USA cost approx $10,000 less than the equivalent vehicle I just purchased last month from Tesla UK which I am forced to sell now. The insurance in USA is 1/3 of the premium I currently pay Directline of 650 annually.

This sounds a little odd - there are lots of AWD EVs out there now and growing fast. Surely 98% of insurers aren’t ignoring all of them? And many are 40-60k which even if total wrote off is still less than the thousands of range rovers and other expensive ICE cars driving around

Don't know about anyone else, but something is changing in the ether as refreshing the range of insurance quotes I have had recently has resulted in a significant increase to over £800 just now. I really hope they fall again nearer the time I get notified of my delivery date :(

I thought I had my head wrapped around this all, but the insurance talk has me wondering about it now. Am I right in thinking they tell you what your registration number will be a few days before collection? If so, I'll just wait until then to arrange insurance rather than doing it now using the VIN.

Or do they literally not tell you the registration until collection day itself?

I thought I had my head wrapped around this all, but the insurance talk has me wondering about it now. Am I right in thinking they tell you what your registration number will be a few days before collection? If so, I'll just wait until then to arrange insurance rather than doing it now using the VIN.

Or do they literally not tell you the registration until collection day itself?
in SOME cases you get it on collection date...

Reactions: AutomaticMan