Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone sorted out a private plate when collecting their car?

I plan to buy a private reg (1st time) but was wondering if I need to supply the plates when collecting or do I give the information to the team at telsa and they produce and fit them for when I collect?
Someone may be able to correct me, but I heard Tesla register and supply a plate with the car, then you just DVLA it after collection if you want to swap to private...

Can anyone confirm what happens when you've reserved a vehicle on the new higher price (say, £55K for LR as it is today) and then between reservation and delivery the price goes down, whether Tesla will decrease the reservation price accordingly?

I suspect it's a no, since they do not increase locked in prices, but would be good to know since I plan on ordering soon (though am gutted I didn't just order even just a week ago now...).

Just received my RN, how do I speak to customer support via chat to see if they can match me to a car? I don't see the option on the site
There’s a chat icon on the site but it doesn’t always appear and you need to access it from a laptop, it won’t appear accessing the page from your phone . There is also a phone number on teslas website.
If you have just received the RN you would need to be quite lucky to be matched straight away. Though I think lead time does depend on spec and options you have chosen. I received my RN on 8th Feb, no match as yet and was told yesterday it maybe next quarter unless something becomes available.

Has anyone sorted out a private plate when collecting their car?

I plan to buy a private reg (1st time) but was wondering if I need to supply the plates when collecting or do I give the information to the team at telsa and they produce and fit them for when I collect?
Yes snowy is correct… you will be allocated a plate. Then when you collect you have to wait around 5 days for your V5 to arrive in the post. Once you have this you can then put the plate on using the DVLA online system. It is immediate and no cost. Only cost is when you want to take the plate off which is £80 retention fee. There may be an admin fee with your insurance company for changing the plate though!

• Love
Reactions: Snowy77
Yes snowy is correct… you will be allocated a plate. Then when you collect you have to wait around 5 days for your V5 to arrive in the post. Once you have this you can then put the plate on using the DVLA online system. It is immediate and no cost. Only cost is when you want to take the plate off which is £80 retention fee. There may be an admin fee with your insurance company for changing the plate though!
Thanks for the info guys! Appreciate! Time to buy!

Reactions: dilly28
As a lease customer I am aware that it could be a little while before the Car appears in my app but what does that mean I won’t be able to do?

I won’t be able to use my phone as a key or obviously set pre-conditioning etc but will I also not be able to use Premium connectivity either and access things like the Spotify account?
The car doesn't appear in the mobile app during the shipping/delivery stage for lease customers it seems. Mine appeared in the app 10 seconds after I signed the collection document, and has all the same features. It still hasn't shown up in the web portal though when I log into My Account

Can anyone confirm what happens when you've reserved a vehicle on the new higher price (say, £55K for LR as it is today) and then between reservation and delivery the price goes down, whether Tesla will decrease the reservation price accordingly?

I suspect it's a no, since they do not increase locked in prices, but would be good to know since I plan on ordering soon (though am gutted I didn't just order even just a week ago now...).
This is a strange one, if you order and price goes UP, then you keep your order and the price you ordered at locks in unless you choose to cancel your order, then you have to re-submit at the new price.

Now, this is the kick. If you order and 'lock in' at a price like it is now, even if price goes down, you'll still be locked in. However, it's at this point that you have to evaluate if cancelling your order, and being positioned at the BACK of the queue is worth the difference in price. For a couple of grand I'd stay put than to have to wait another year for the car. Saying that, if they suddenly dumped the price by 50% (just for example sake), I absolutely would cancel my order. Not just because the car is half the price, but it's current value if you bought it would completely bone you on its resale value, and residual value, which for me is a very important factor.

The key to Tesla is order NOW and see what happens. If they're saying April 2023 ETA, you really want to be in the queue ASAP, and can always shortcut a car if you have an eagle eye for inventory.

This is a strange one, if you order and price goes UP, then you keep your order and the price you ordered at locks in unless you choose to cancel your order, then you have to re-submit at the new price.

Now, this is the kick. If you order and 'lock in' at a price like it is now, even if price goes down, you'll still be locked in. However, it's at this point that you have to evaluate if cancelling your order, and being positioned at the BACK of the queue is worth the difference in price. For a couple of grand I'd stay put than to have to wait another year for the car. Saying that, if they suddenly dumped the price by 50% (just for example sake), I absolutely would cancel my order. Not just because the car is half the price, but it's current value if you bought it would completely bone you on its resale value, and residual value, which for me is a very important factor.

The key to Tesla is order NOW and see what happens. If they're saying April 2023 ETA, you really want to be in the queue ASAP, and can always shortcut a car if you have an eagle eye for inventory.
I though I had read before, some time ago, as we haven't had any price drops for a while, that Tesla lowered the price if you haven't already paid/collected.

Otherwise it would be a right old mess, with people not too concerned about quick delivery cancelling and reordering left, right, and centre.

I though I had read before, some time ago, as we haven't had any price drops for a while, that Tesla lowered the price if you haven't already paid/collected.

Otherwise it would be a right old mess, with people not too concerned about quick delivery cancelling and reordering left, right, and centre.
You're likely right, but I heard Tesla were frustrated with customers persistently delaying and holding an order for a preferential price combination to remain top of the pecking order. It started to hit their quarterlies. Now I heard that if you delay and dither too much they cancel your order with a refund of your deposit to unclog you from their system; free to re-order if you desire.. but at the new prices. I'm not exactly sure how many 'lives and out' you get, but I wouldn't want to be that guy!

The perception is when you order, the price and spec you see is what you agree to. Recently, with the 2022 updates, a lot of folks got a lot more than the spec originally ordered at the end of 2021 so it can go with you quite nicely to. I just resign to a Tesla as TECH not a car, so the same applies if I'm buying a new CPU or GPU for my home computer.. You're just at the mercy of heaven usually.

There's a few places the chat appears. We're all trying to figure what controls its visibility.. consensus is that it appears when an agent is online / able to take a query.

Talking of which, it's on the inventory screen atm bottom right.

View attachment 781567

(as of 11:03)

Also talking of which... there's a TON of demo cars there! Crikey, they're really doing one aren't they.... !
you do realise what they are doing, buying or accepting trade in for any old tesla
adding at a switch of a button and OTA update the expensive EAP / FSD and artificially increasing the price
whilst increasing the new car prices, making it look more appealing

Reactions: Snowy77
I
My current timeline for anyone thats wondering about timings for their own cars:

02/02/22 - Order
02/02/22 - RN provided
10/03/22 - VIN provided
11/03/22 - On its way text
14/03/22 - Schedule delivery
16/03/22 - Reg provided (GJ22)
16/03/22 - Final invoice

25/03/22 Collection Bluewater

M3 RWD/White/Black/Aero/Tow
That seems quick! Congrats!

Only differences between our specs is the tow

Reactions: dilly28
When I ordered in Feb, the website said August delivery. I'm picking up today. (I know I'm extremely lucky compared to most on here). Again though, the long lead times shown before sale to tease people to buy from inventory?
Inventory in UK is 100 or so cars at most with the odd new one appearing as someone decides to delay taking delivery or change their spec. Tesla will deliver probably around 10,000 cars in the UK this month alone, maybe 10-20,000 in Q2, same again in Q3 so their UK order book probably has at least 30-40,000 cars in it at the old prices. I think the prices of the ex-demo models were set knowing that these price rises were coming. The new prices hit now because Tesla realise that by the time they deliver any new orders placed from now onwards in late 22 or early 23 their raw material and shipping costs will have risen considerably.

Reactions: SG22 and Snowy77