Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Following on from yesterdays discussion about whether it was worth pre-conditioning to get extra efficiency I have checked my usage from yesterday and I am now unsure.

I set my charger to pre-condition the Car for half an hour before setting off at 7am so this would be at normal pricing. The car was charged to 100% so any power drawn would just be for the preconditioning and according to Octopus that was 2.993 KWH in that 30 minutes. I have to say that was quite a surprise that it took that much power simply to heat the car and the battery.

At rates of 30p that’s almost a pound which may not be a huge amount of money its a very high proportion of costs if you are mostly charging at 7.5p and makes me question whether the improved efficiency of the battery being a bit warmer is worth it.

Hi guys, it’s been couple of weeks since I collected my M3 RWD. Thought I give you bit of update whilst you waiting for delivery of your Tesla.
1. Still learning how to drive efficiently as there are many variables. Obviously short journeys are not going to be as efficient as the battery will be cold (unless you pre-condition). I not done really long journey yet (max 30-40miles) so still want to see how far car will go on long journey. Efficiency so far 233Wh/mile after 822miles. However must admit that first couple of hundred miles were constant acceleration thrill so that wouldn’t help my efficiency LOL. I found that driving 56-60mph gives very nice Wh/mile but as soon as you go 70mph it start going up very high. So you can either go efficiently or fast.
2. I have been using sentry mode from beginning and it takes few percent of battery but then you get piece of mind if anything happens that you have proof/evidence. Last couple of days I have activated sentry mode at home because couple of neighbours warned me that white van was driving slowly past my house several times and couple of guys been staring at my M3. So just in case will leave it in for few days until I find some more permanent security option like CCTV.
3. If you have kids, get ready to hear “Daddy, can I go and play games in Tesla?” Especially during half term it’s nearly daily routine. I have tried to pair controller but USB-C in centre console are only charging enabled and therefore if you want data you have only 1 option in glovebox where usb stick is plugged for sentry mode and dashcam. So I got USB hub from Amazon with 4 ports for £7.99 and that allows me to plug usb stick for sentry mode and couple of controllers to play game in multiplayer mode (beach buggy 2). I bought PowerA wired controller for Xbox because I seen video on YouTube that it works and it is not that expensive. However that one doesn’t work for some reason, so currently using original Xbox one controller and gave my son PowerA controller to use on Xbox as it works there but not in Tesla. And last one is that I’m missing several arcade games, cuphead, sonic etc. spoke to Tesla advisor and was told that it is being pushed to my car over next 24hrs. That was week ago and nothing happened yet.
4. Currently sitting in Tesla Leeds waiting for service on Tesla due to small miss alignment of driver door. Touch less service is something new I never experienced before. Parked my car, locked it and went to sit inside the showroom whilst I’m waiting for car to be serviced. They don’t need my card key as somehow they can access car. Magic of Teslas LOL

Sorry for long post, but wanted to share my experience as many of you will find some of it useful.

The Tesla advisor unfortunately misinformed you due to his lack of knowledge, those missing games are only downloaded automatically for Model 3's that have the Data-enabled USB Hub is installed in the front centre console which Tesla stopped installing since Nov 15, 2021 and the older Charge-only USB Hub is now standard equipment. During software updates, the vehicle intelligently recognises the presence of the Fata-enabled USB Hub in centre console and decides to install or in its absence, not install those games and apps that require the Data-enabled Hub and completely ignores the Data-enable port in the glove compartment which was designed to supply the storage dongle for the Sentry system

Reactions: Snowy77 and JanF1
Thanks, for better explanation than I got from Tesla. It’s annoying though since I have game controller connected through hub. I hope that next software update brings Bluetooth connectivity for controllers and therefore push those games to my M3. It’s annoying that they don’t push those games to all cars and let customer to decide if they want to get extra hub to play it or not.

Reactions: Snowy77 and CL65
Thanks, for better explanation than I got from Tesla. It’s annoying though since I have game controller connected through hub. I hope that next software update brings Bluetooth connectivity for controllers and therefore push those games to my M3. It’s annoying that they don’t push those games to all cars and let customer to decide if they want to get extra hub to play it or not.

Even those who now retrofit the more recent Data-enabled Hub to their M3's which currently have the Charge-only version don't automatically get those games installed by update because the vehicle doesn't automatically recognise the hardware update retrofit installed. After the installation and swapping of the hardware in centre console, a manual firmware reconfiguration by a Tesla Tech who connects to the vehicle using their laptop and proprietary Tesla software and tells the vehicle that it now has the Data-enabled Hub installed (takes less than 5min) and following that an update firmware is forced to the vehicle which upon download and install (approx 20min) the vehicle will now have the Apps related to and requiring the Data-enabled Hub installed

At rates of 30p that’s almost a pound which may not be a huge amount of money its a very high proportion of costs if you are mostly charging at 7.5p and makes me question whether the improved efficiency of the battery being a bit warmer is worth it.
I wonder if there's diminishing returns.

When the weather is -3c and you jump straight in to your car you may lose way more than 3kWh in range if you have to shoot right off. Could lose some 30% range compared to spending the 3kWh plugged in at home pre-heating.

I don't know enough about the mechanics of it, but it's interesting!

Reactions: SaltyMod3
In case this helps anyone, I just live chatted with Tesla to see if there was an EDD for my Lease Order (as you cannot see the order on the app or website).

I was told:

I have had a look at your order and we are currently waiting for a vehicle to be assigned to your order, once a vehicle has been assigned we will notify you by SMS.

As we are waiting for the next shipments of Model 3 RWD to arrive, we are currently looking at possibly a November delivery. Once a vehicle has been assigned to your order we will have a more accurate date for you.

FYI, I ordered M3 RWD, White, Black Interior, 18" Aeros on 20th Feb 2022. EDD at time of order November 2022.

In case this helps anyone, I just live chatted with Tesla to see if there was an EDD for my Lease Order (as you cannot see the order on the app or website).

I was told:

I have had a look at your order and we are currently waiting for a vehicle to be assigned to your order, once a vehicle has been assigned we will notify you by SMS.

As we are waiting for the next shipments of Model 3 RWD to arrive, we are currently looking at possibly a November delivery. Once a vehicle has been assigned to your order we will have a more accurate date for you.

FYI, I ordered M3 RWD, White, Black Interior, 18" Aeros on 20th Feb 2022. EDD at time of order November 2022.
That's interesting - I wonder if Tesla prioritises certain orders over others... i.e. Cash and PCP over lease

Reactions: rrajah

I was told:

Sounds like they have stuck to their original ETA to cover themselves.

Just wait for the first shipments to come in June, and spam like mad the inventory / unassigned tracker and dive on one of those if any come up :D

I will imagine that there will be many many people mashing the keyboard with Tesla on speed dial during this time to snipe any stray cars.

I would imagine though as the chaos subsides, your ETA will reel a bit closer than November.

Reactions: rrajah
That's interesting - I wonder if Tesla prioritises certain orders over others... i.e. Cash and PCP over lease
Nah I don't think mechanism of payment is a factor. The most commonly referenced factors are most important : Order date (place in queue) and vechicle configuration. The configuration bit is a lottery, but more uncommon combinations can sometimes just magic out of nowhere if you're the only one that happens to have one on order. Some rumors have it that if you order with FSD (US) that cars would arrive sooner (lol?) but, I genuinely don't think that's a thing in the UK, most likely because no one orders FSD here 😆😁

EDD's and actual delivery dates can be a bit of a lottery. About 30 pages back somebody posted their configuration which was identical to mine except they had aeros and I chose sports. Our purchase dates were within a day 18-19 Feb and EDD's May. I was allocated a car on 24/03 out of the blue. I'm certain my gain was someone else's cancellation and all I can say is unlucky for them as it is faultless. Cleaned twice and nothing has jumped out at me.

For info, 2 weeks in have done 750 miles, visited 3 superchargers, sussed the overnight charging on Octopus go (charges 30 miles per hour =/= 8% per hour via 7kW wallbox) so I set the charge limit to match this. Only exceeds the 4h cheap window if I'm below 10% as you can only stop at 50%. Another 'for info' direct from the mains 3 pin plug is 10 miles per hour.

Done 2 long business trips of 270 miles. First one it was zero degrees and heated car before I left on mains. Motorway driving mostly but kept within speed limit and drove mostly cautiously (honest!) and range went down from 353-153 to cover 133 miles. With only 150 left in tank a visit to Sarn services SC in Wales for a wee stop pushed mileage up 170 (with 100 miles left to get home) and returned with about 39 miles left (and a few warnings). 2nd trip I anticipated the need for a stop so just went to Woodall services for 20 mins. Both times I charged the car to 100% before I left.

Range anxiety isn't a thing, free spaces at the charger anxiety is though. So far I've been lucky and got straight on to a chargepoint but Woodall was full shortly after I hooked up.

Thursday is rear window and sunroof tinting day...

The adventure continues😁