Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK 2022 Orders to Delivery inc the shipping thread for posts with no shipping news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone managed to bag Gap insurance for a fair price? If so what’s the rate and provider. Cheers, SBB.

Must admit, I haven't sorted this out yet. I was in two minds because gap insurance is usually required when the current value of the car is less than new value. I bought mine before the price rises, so it's current value is 8k higher than I paid. And with Teslas depreciating less over time when compared to other cars, it's not clear to me whether gap is required.

GAP insurance, never understood the benefit of it, especially in desirable cars. So you are paying additional money to reduce the risk of losing money through higher depreciation. Robbing Peter to pay Paul if you ask me.
GAP is an car sales industry method of increasing ancillary revenue on the sale.
When I checked on standard insurance today one of the comparison websites suggested the value of MYLR was £64,500 so perhaps you are right that gap isn’t needed. I’ve never ever had it before.

When I checked on standard insurance today one of the comparison websites suggested the value of MYLR was £64,500 so perhaps you are right that gap isn’t needed. I’ve never ever had it before.
I can vouch for ALA. They’ve paid out on gap to me before.

You can get a policy which will pay out to the current list price, so accounts for future price increases. Think you have to take it out in the first few months of ownership (according to Q2 collections thread).

Cost is ballpark £300 something for a 4yr policy.

Is it worth it? Well, you can bet the insurance co you got your best quote from didn’t become competitive/profitable by paying out real market value amounts for a total loss.

Picked up from Manchester this morning. I was the only person collecting and the whole process took 10 minutes including the part-ex inspection. No issues whatsoever, the car looks faultless and came with 40% charge. It seems a smoother ride than the example I took for a test drive and a better ride than the Q5 I had previously. Well worth the wait.

Attachments

• 77CBC1A5-6EE4-4FA7-91CA-48549C39BBE6.jpeg
    77CBC1A5-6EE4-4FA7-91CA-48549C39BBE6.jpeg
    746.9 KB · Views: 78
Ah ok I meant a telematics black box device rather than a tracker. My cheapest insurance quote is from Hastings "you drive" and they want to fit a telematics box. The next cheapest quote is a lot higher but I'm not sure I want that thing fitted. Would they just accept the inbuilt telematics or still want their thing fitted?

Has anyone else had a telematics box fitted to their Tesla?
Were you able to get it fitted? I'm facing the issue that they want to install the box but cant figure out where to install it.

Picked up from Manchester this morning. I was the only person collecting and the whole process took 10 minutes including the part-ex inspection. No issues whatsoever, the car looks faultless and came with 40% charge. It seems a smoother ride than the example I took for a test drive and a better ride than the Q5 I had previously. Well worth the wait.
Congrats - car looks great!
Thanks for posting this - I’m also coming from a Q5 (+ an A5 which is my trade-in) and collecting in Manchester in two weeks.

Reactions: HowieR
It came with front mud flaps?

Must admit, I haven't sorted this out yet. I was in two minds because gap insurance is usually required when the current value of the car is less than new value. I bought mine before the price rises, so it's current value is 8k higher than I paid. And with Teslas depreciating less over time when compared to other cars, it's not clear to me whether gap is required.
I think the argument now, in these inflationary times, is for replacement vehicle gap. I always went for this anyway, as one never knew if that 25% discount would be repeatable etc.

But in the case of a 2022 MY LR. Let’s say list £60k. And a hypothetical write off in 2025 with an insurance value given of £50k. But inflation means the 2025 MY LR is now £75k list. There’s your argument for replacement vehicle GAP.

Which now means…what’s your view on inflation and the supplied/demand balance in the EV automotive sector in 2025? As with any insurance, a judgement call.

I’m undecided on GAP right now. Inflation forecasts are going to be realigned with the energy price cap announcement.

Reactions: Betelgeused