Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You either subscribe to the view humans drive just using their eyes, and so none of this should be a problem for a vision based FSD, or you don’t.
I wouldn't have a problem with that if it's in a framework where they would put their money where their mouth is, and accept liability for everything the car does incorrectly while using vision.

As we are not there yet, we can either opt not to use it, or accept the experiment as guinea pigs, retaining full accountability for a system we do not know the limitations of, having to make split second corrective decisions depending on the unpredictable behaviour of the car, that may or may not change with every incremental software update... It's not ideal.

I wouldn't have a problem with that if it's in a framework where they would put their money where their mouth is, and accept liability for everything the car does incorrectly while using vision.

As we are not there yet, we can either opt not to use it, or accept the experiment as guinea pigs, retaining full accountability for a system we do not know the limitations of, having to make split second corrective decisions depending on the unpredictable behaviour of the car, that may or may not change with every incremental software update... It's not ideal.
Maybe I misunderstood the previous posts - there was talk of unusual road signs and potentially confusing information, or additional information, and that was stated as a problem. My point was just that if humans can (generally) cope with it then there are harder issues to solve to self driving than reading a supplementary text to a road sign.

I am persnally undecided on whether vision only is good enough, I have my doubts especially with the current set up, but reading signs is actually the relatively trivial part of the problem. I can take a photo with my phone and it will do text recognition on the fly.

On my regular route there is one of these signs which is immediately recognised by the car as a 50 limit at the sign. Stuff like this needs to be handled correctly if FSD is to be launched in the UK. Filter (arrow) traffic lights also confuse the cameras, but I thought these were common in the US?

View attachment 1042836
Last year in France there were similar and the Y knew exactly what it meant.

On my regular route there is one of these signs which is immediately recognised by the car as a 50 limit at the sign. Stuff like this needs to be handled correctly if FSD is to be launched in the UK. Filter (arrow) traffic lights also confuse the cameras, but I thought these were common in the US?

View attachment 1042836
Well that’s a terrible sign.

Should be a a warning (triangle) as it not an instruction until you actually hit the speed restriction.

On the railway an advance warning indicator is a completely different shape from a speed restriction sign.

Well that’s a terrible sign.

Should be a a warning (triangle) as it not an instruction until you actually hit the speed restriction.

On the railway an advance warning indicator is a completely different shape from a speed restriction sign.
It's specifically a roadworks speed limit approaching sign, which is why it's the colour it is and informational hence the square AFAIK.

If FSD can't handle the simple stuff like this it really shouldn't be allowed.

You need to remember it needs training time and they didn't have enough compute for it, as much as Elon says they aren't compute limited they are still building more compute and will continuous do so I suspect so that's not quite true. They maybe have enough though to do this justice at last.

We were all born without the ability to properly use our hands, walk, talk and understand how to waste our time speaking to random folks on Internet forums ;) We took training as humans to get to the point where we can then drive a car. This is basically humanities first go at trying to be a parent to an AI. So far it's not ended up in a Young Offenders Institution so that's not a terrible first go ;)

Reactions: bainsy and KennethS