Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2024.8.x apparently fixes the Current Speed setting when using Auto Steer so that you can once again have an offset above the detected limit. Hallelujah if true.
IMG_6753.jpeg

Looks like things are getting interesting with FSD 12.3 https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/s/TCiC4ihvFS

Would be great to get FSD 12.3+ code base merged into 2024 branches and give us features some of us paid for like EAP… Time will tell but I want to be optimistic about the future.
We never had Smart Summon but just forwards and backwards Summon though didn’t we?

For Smart Summon or Actual Smart Summon the car drives from a distance say out of a parking space to you at the front of a store. Where as currently you have you pretty much walk the car like you are walking a dog by staying very close to it. It won’t come here, at least not for a long time sadly.

We should be a bit more realistic, I’d like for them to bring the FSD Beta stack for motorway and dual carriageway A roads to improve that. Turn on proper eye tracking (I feel like they are working on this) so you don’t need to tug the steering wheel and catch up with Ford and others.

Smart Summon also requires Keep WiFi On While Driving if doing so within vicinity of registered access points in car, as that change in connectivity is a tripping factor, breaking the deadperson’s lever control required by UNECE regulation. However, we can smart summon to a whole moved distance of 19.8 metre! Thank you very much World Forum membership committee.

Smart Summon also requires Keep WiFi On While Driving if doing so within vicinity of registered access points in car, as that change in connectivity is a tripping factor, breaking the deadperson’s lever control required by UNECE regulation. However, we can smart summon to a whole moved distance of 19.8 metre! Thank you very much World Forum membership committee.
Maybe the new Bluetooth protocol mentioned in other release notes will help (more of a question than a statement as I don’t really understand that change other than it’s supposed to be more secure) although I still can’t see my car driving from the far side of Tescos car park when it’s raining any time soon

Maybe the new Bluetooth protocol mentioned in other release notes will help (more of a question than a statement as I don’t really understand that change other than it’s supposed to be more secure) although I still can’t see my car driving from the far side of Tescos car park when it’s raining any time soon
UWB isn’t Bluetooth but can have a reasonable distance if the transmit power is enough. Not sure how good though it is going through objects vs line of sight, think as it’s very high frequency it’ll be poor.

Agree we are sadly way off it coming to us in a carpark in Europe. Watching these FSD 12 videos and it’s looking pretty solid over there these days, sad to see we are so behind and slow on our regulations here.

You can work out range from UWB signals (it's how AirTags work), so if Tesla want to keep the "must be sat on roof of car for summon to work" restriction, it would arguably be easier.
A pair of UWB devices can do to way ranging. A pulse measured in nano seconds is sent fron one device to another and the second device processes it and sends it back. The original device will know how long the first device takes to process it and deducts the processing time from the round trip time. The round trip time then gives you time of flight which can be used to calculate the distance. Where UWB wins over BLE or WiFi is the pulse length in time, makes it easy to identify the start and end of the pulse, which in turn makes it less prone to multipath errors. If you add an Anchor or multiple antenna that can do phase shift calculations then you can get more than just two way ranging and also get angle of arrival. UWB is often used in conjunction with BLE, where BLE provides proximity and UWB the precision of the 2 way ranging. What UWB brings is more accurate time of flight which is super useful for keys as it makes it much harder to do relay type attacks. Fyi I'm a BLE/UWB field applications engineer. Note not all UWB is created equal, Apple uses its own proprietary protocol but the FiRa standard is gaining popularity and supported by the likes of Samsung and Google, though Apple is also a member of FiRa. So even if a you are lucky enough to have a Tesla with UWB support there are only a handful of phones with the correct UWB support out there but that will increase over time. I've not looked at Teslas UWB implementation yet do not sure if they adopted FiRA, Apple nearby or the Car Connectivity Consortium's standard. I will have a dig.

A pair of UWB devices can do to way ranging. A pulse measured in nano seconds is sent fron one device to another and the second device processes it and sends it back. The original device will know how long the first device takes to process it and deducts the processing time from the round trip time. The round trip time then gives you time of flight which can be used to calculate the distance. Where UWB wins over BLE or WiFi is the pulse length in time, makes it easy to identify the start and end of the pulse, which in turn makes it less prone to multipath errors. If you add an Anchor or multiple antenna that can do phase shift calculations then you can get more than just two way ranging and also get angle of arrival. UWB is often used in conjunction with BLE, where BLE provides proximity and UWB the precision of the 2 way ranging. What UWB brings is more accurate time of flight which is super useful for keys as it makes it much harder to do relay type attacks. Fyi I'm a BLE/UWB field applications engineer. Note not all UWB is created equal, Apple uses its own proprietary protocol but the FiRa standard is gaining popularity and supported by the likes of Samsung and Google, though Apple is also a member of FiRa. So even if a you are lucky enough to have a Tesla with UWB support there are only a handful of phones with the correct UWB support out there but that will increase over time. I've not looked at Teslas UWB implementation yet do not sure if they adopted FiRA, Apple nearby or the Car Connectivity Consortium's standard. I will have a dig.
That's a great post, thanks for the information there. I do wonder when Elon threatens about Apple Watch support if they'd have to support Apple Wallet for it to work on the watch. Or can they still have a Tesla background app running even on the watch to allow that to work. It's obviously not got the battery a phone does so needs to be far more power efficient.

No sign of 2024.8.4 (if it exists) on TeslaFi, and .3 continues to not exist in the UK.
Numbers are picking up again, including 2024.8.4 - Teslascope have just spotted it, 2 days behind everyone but it’s still a cross reference and Teslafi have also started to report it.. so I guess it does exist after all

Haven’t seen any sign of the U.K.yet on either .3 or .4

Numbers are picking up again, including 2024.8.4 - Teslascope have just spotted it, 2 days behind everyone but it’s still a cross reference and Teslafi have also started to report it.. so I guess it does exist after all

Haven’t seen any sign of the U.K.yet on either .3 or .4
2024.8.4 seems to be entirely North America at the moment. Telsafi only showing Canada and US installs.

That's a great post, thanks for the information there. I do wonder when Elon threatens about Apple Watch support if they'd have to support Apple Wallet for it to work on the watch. Or can they still have a Tesla background app running even on the watch to allow that to work. It's obviously not got the battery a phone does so needs to be far more power efficient.

Tessie has already implemented it on their Watch app. You can use it as a BT key just like a phone and it works relatively well. It’s worth the £5 subscription for me but indeed would be great to see a native Tesla version.
Sometimes you have to bring the app to the front because of BT background restrictions, and Apple Wallet support would also allow the Power Reserve mode which would enable the NFC failsafe for z few hours even after the phone/watch battery is dead