Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was eagerly waiting for the adaptive high beams on my 2023 Model Y. I’ve had them for years on my old BMW where they go to high beam when driving over 30mph. They also did nice things like follow the steering, cast a wider angle low beam when reversing, and selectively illuminate one of the fog lights when indicating to turn. The auto high beams adjust their angle for oncoming cars, before dropping one side to low beam as the car passes. It can even be on high beam following a car ahead, and steers the lights to illuminate the road and surroundings without pointing the lights at the car ahead. Fantastic system and makes driving at night in poor weather much less stressful. (Shift worker, so 3am winter commutes are common)

However, based on what I’ve read here, it sounds like the Tesla system won’t have any of those nice features? Instead it’s just going to stick on normal high beam all the time, unless it sees an oncoming car when it will mask them out?

First drive on 2024.8.4
Backed out of the garage into sunshine and the wipers wiped twice
Drove to Norwich service centre partly on AP for some work to be done
Had several phantom brakes and slow downs at random places. Don’t normally get this. Doesn’t bode well.
I'm not convinced they even bother changing any of that code in most releases. AP code they use outside of of the USA is legacy dead end code that I just don't believe they work on anymore. Any noticed differences are just probably random, sometimes it's fine and other times it's not. Could be light levels, position of the sun, clouds and if the neural network is just feeling a bit grumpy that morning and cannot be arsed :)

Reactions: Cardo and goRt
I have builders working on an extension at home. The lock sound got their attention and now they can't stop asking about the Tesla, will be taking them out for a drive later...
Exactly, it's different and good marketing.

One of my sister's kids won't stop bugging my sister to get a Tesla ever since we took him out in ours. It's absolutely not how it drives but all these ToyBox items, games and so on that he cares about being young. He might annoy her into eventual submission and she'll have to buy one ;)

I was eagerly waiting for the adaptive high beams on my 2023 Model Y. I’ve had them for years on my old BMW where they go to high beam when driving over 30mph. They also did nice things like follow the steering, cast a wider angle low beam when reversing, and selectively illuminate one of the fog lights when indicating to turn. The auto high beams adjust their angle for oncoming cars, before dropping one side to low beam as the car passes. It can even be on high beam following a car ahead, and steers the lights to illuminate the road and surroundings without pointing the lights at the car ahead. Fantastic system and makes driving at night in poor weather much less stressful. (Shift worker, so 3am winter commutes are common)

However, based on what I’ve read here, it sounds like the Tesla system won’t have any of those nice features? Instead it’s just going to stick on normal high beam all the time, unless it sees an oncoming car when it will mask them out?
It should keep the main beams on when following cars and when cars approach. It will blank them out by dimming out/turning off the individual pixels.

I had the matrix lights on a X3 M40i and all that did was mask out sections of light as well much like the Tesla system although the BMW would switch of high beams in a street lit area, there was no mechanical bending and the fog lights didn’t come on when indicating

Tesla never promised this feature on older models so could be looked at as nice bonus probably

It shouldn’t be on at all. Think about pedestrians getting blinded in suburban areas.
But there aren’t any pedestrians in that clip, and if there were an attentive and considerate driver can switch to dipped beam after having seen them (possibly only as a result of the main beam highlighting them to begin with).

I wonder, would a parent of a child rather their child a) never gets dazzled but also potentially is not seen when they are in an area not lit by a dipped beam, or, b) possibly gets dazzled occasionally but has a higher likelihood of being seen earlier / at all by a driver.

Reactions: dombera
I had the matrix lights on a X3 M40i and all that did was mask out sections of light as well much like the Tesla system although the BMW would switch of high beams in a street lit area, there was no mechanical bending and the fog lights didn’t come on when indicating

Tesla never promised this feature on older models so could be looked at as nice bonus probably
I think your X3 had newer lights than mine then, my early build F31 had adaptive rather than matrix, physically steering and adjusting the beam according to the steering, gearbox selection and forward facing camera. I'll be honest, I expected the Tesla would have the adaptive or matrix lights when I got it - I simply didn't think a car in this segment wouldn't have this feature!

Maybe I should have done a bit more research beforehand, but I'd mistakenly put adaptive headlights in the same category as "heated rear screen" and "DAB radio" - something that's simply expected as a basic part of the spec now.

I think lights have changed quite a bit over the years. Earlier cars with Xenon headlights could turn with the steering wheel to bend with the road. I think though over time with LED's the lights have stopped moving and instead they cover as much as they can and just blank out where needed.

Not sure what their current laser lights do but had one of their earlier iterations and they'd bend with the steering wheel. I wasn't actually massively a fan of that or at least don't think it was worth the money. You'd have a very bright light that could cover a really long distance but it's also a small very focused beam. The range you can get from a good set of LED's on high beam with matrix is I think good enough.

Installed! All the features are here. Although it might take a couple days for me to have the opportunity to test the matrix high beams.

One issue however : this update seems to break the messaging function on iPhone.
It turned itself off and nothing seems to be able to bring it back on! I can no longer dictate texts or get them read out loud when I receive one! Bummer!

• Informative
Reactions: Drew57
I got this last night, but didn't try it in the dark but the lights came on for my commute this morning but I couldn't really see what they were doing. I found the symbols shown on the screen a little confusing, are other seeing the same? The adaptive headlights was definitely on in settings.

The left stalk switches between dipped and auto + dipped. Did that mean it was illuminating specific pixels ? Does it ever show the full beam icon anymore? I'm kinda used to the old model where it's very clear which mode you are really in. I'm not really sure my brain understands what dipped means, it used to feel like a beam that was angled more downwards, but I guess it was just turning off specific pixels, I htink my brain is stuck thinking about when there were two bulbs.

I got this last night, but didn't try it in the dark but the lights came on for my commute this morning but I couldn't really see what they were doing. I found the symbols shown on the screen a little confusing, are other seeing the same? The adaptive headlights was definitely on in settings.

The left stalk switches between dipped and auto + dipped. Did that mean it was illuminating specific pixels ? Does it ever show the full beam icon anymore? I'm kinda used to the old model where it's very clear which mode you are really in. I'm not really sure my brain understands what dipped means, it used to feel like a beam that was angled more downwards, but I guess it was just turning off specific pixels, I htink my brain is stuck thinking about when there were two bulbs.
As far as I know, the matrix happen when on high/main beam. Where they would usually dip they will dim out the vehicles and leave everywhere else illuminate. They effectively work in Matrix mode whenever the high/main beams are on. Think its the same icon or it may have an A in it.. not too sure yet as still waiting for the update.

Tesla have around 100 pixels per light apparently, VW use 3,000 in the old IQ Lights, possibly more now, and also have lights that track your steering to give better illumination when going around corners which Tesla doesn't have.
Vaguely recall the Polestar matrix having something like 80 or so pixels. Tesla looks to be using Samsung Pixcell to get those 100 pixels. Samsung Pixcell isnt particularly old and is not exclusive to Tesla.

Edit olestar Pixel lights use 84 LEDs and if Tesla is any where near as good as Polestar ill be happy.

Screenshot_20240319_163503_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_163229_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Vaguely recall the Polestar matrix having something like 80 or so pixels. Tesla looks to be using Samsung Pixcell to get those 100 pixels. Samsung Pixcell isnt particularly old and is not exclusive to Tesla.

Edit olestar Pixel lights use 84 LEDs and if Tesla is any where near as good as Polestar ill be happy.

View attachment 1029674
View attachment 1029673
It's definitely a nice upgrade but not as good as what I've had before. I've only been out for a quick test so will see how they do on longer trips with more traffic.

Not quite as many LED's as VW lol. I am just happy to have them finally activated. My car will be 2 years old end of this month and to get a feature like this activated.. brilliant.

I'm curious what the difference is between Highland lights and the older Model 3 lights in terms of numbers of pixels. From what it seems to be said the highlight lights aren't actually quite as good in terms of brightness but maybe they have more pixels? Could be this is an area where Tesla made a saving on the Highland or just the shape change forced it.

2024 Tesla Model 3 4-door sedan

This is interesting and goes up to 2024 models but all the headlight stats look to be the same which feels unlikely so not sure that's correct.