Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in the menus if I have auto and adaptive on, when I start driving do I need to see the blue icon with an A in it for it to be working and automatic?

Because when I set if last hight I had it on in the menu but when I started driving I just had two green icons and fairly certain once I hit the dark section nothing happened until I pushed forward on the stalk
No, you'll see the grey headlight icon with an A in it meaning adaptive is "armed"/ready. That icon will turn blue when it's actually using adaptive high beam.

As above, pushing the stalk forward simply changes between dipped (the two green icons, which show sidelights and dipped beam) and auto being available/on. The car isn't the quickest at activating and deactivating the high beam coming in and out of lit areas. As long as that grey icon is there, the adaptive high beams will activate when the car decides.

Reactions: Danno_
Got to give some props to Tesla for enabling this. I'd argue they should have waited before forcing Auto High Beam on with Autosteer for this to be available and it's three+ years since they started shipping cars with the hardware in it. But I can't think of any other manufacturer that would eventually release this as a free upgrade and on old models too.

I think the Stockholm Syndrome is kicking in :)

No, you'll see the grey headlight icon with an A in it meaning adaptive is "armed"/ready. That icon will turn blue when it's actually using adaptive high beam.

As above, pushing the stalk forward simply changes between dipped (the two green icons, which show sidelights and dipped beam) and auto being available/on. The car isn't the quickest at activating and deactivating the high beam coming in and out of lit areas. As long as that grey icon is there, the adaptive high beams will activate when the car decides.
I'll give it a go later but I could have sworn it was all on in the menus and when I set of it was two green icons and no grey one. But will double check later.

I'll give it a go later but I could have sworn it was all on in the menus and when I set of it was two green icons and no grey one. But will double check later.
OK. There's every chance you'd just not had automatic high beam activated before (this means with the stalk, not on the menu). Activating on the menus doesn't mean it's automatically activated as though you'd pushed the stalk.

Remember:
  • The AUTO lights setting just means the car will turn on the headlights when it's dark enough.
  • The adaptive high beam setting just means the car can use the adaptive function when high beam is on
  • Pushing the stalk forward switches between dipped beam only and dipped + high beam modes:
    • If adaptive high beam isn't turned on in the menu, then this will just flip between dipped and regular high beam
    • If adaptive high beam is turned on in the menu, then the car will decide when to use high beam for you (using the adaptive pixels).
I hope this clears up the settings and modes for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl Routledge
Having updated to 2024.8.7 I’m impressed. The Matrix function works well and the visualisation has noticeably improved. It’s showing significantly more vehicles around me and looking further ahead. It reminds me of when I had my first M3, late 2021.

Of late I felt the visualisation had become absolutely useless and irrelevant. I’m now wondering if we’re seeing fruits of the latest FSD code? Are we about to see a major shift in functionality in Europe?

Whilst I wouldn’t buy FSD, I’d consider a subscription for use at certain times of the year.

Big Halogen lobbyists.

(dunno, seems odd doesn't it)
Such lights ran afoul of a U.S. rule dating back to 1967 that requires headlights to have separate high-beam and low-beam elements. Because adaptive headlights use the same lighting elements for both high beams and low beams, they violated this rule.
from

from
Seems unlikely, our Tesla lights are not physically changing so if there used to be separate elements then there still are.

I must admit I still find it a bit confusing, how come everyone's pixels seem to be very well aligned to oncoming traffic while dips still have an option to calibrate (which physically moves the beams up/down/left/right). You would think that with poorly aligned lights the blanking of pixels would miss more. Perhaps the lights are generally better at self calibration than people here think, and most complaints are really down to user preferences.

I had my first proper test yesterday and was impressed as there was a definite V shape in the light pattern with a darker patch in the direction of cars I'm following, and oncoming cars.

One thing I considered though would be oncoming cyclists - do the lights react to them or are they going to get dazzled?

I had my first proper test yesterday and was impressed as there was a definite V shape in the light pattern with a darker patch in the direction of cars I'm following, and oncoming cars.

One thing I considered though would be oncoming cyclists - do the lights react to them or are they going to get dazzled?
Updated software yesterday overnight. Worked fine, impressed with the new pixel system, however when Y put to bed last night in garage 17.00 later found all lights on at 22.30pm and car still locked. Bizzare it was headlights, rears, interiors etc. All were off when car parked and locked originally. No light etc settings changed except the full beam dimming activated. Hopefully a one off……………