Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2024.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems unlikely, our Tesla lights are not physically changing so if there used to be separate elements then there still are.

I must admit I still find it a bit confusing, how come everyone's pixels seem to be very well aligned to oncoming traffic while dips still have an option to calibrate (which physically moves the beams up/down/left/right). You would think that with poorly aligned lights the blanking of pixels would miss more. Perhaps the lights are generally better at self calibration than people here think, and most complaints are really down to user preferences.
There's some level of intelligence in the.matrix that understands that each headlight is installed slightly different and accounts for what it sees

No idea why they haven't bothered addressing the headlight alignment

Standard dipped beam alignment would be so much easier if we could do it "live". In normal operation in Europe, headlights must have a 1% downward angle; annoyingly, you must calibrate a Tesla at a 0% dip. Add to this the pattern isn't the same as the live dipped beam and is instead a dedicated shape that would align with markings on a wall/board.

I think I've found a reasonable compromise at the moment on my car, though I can't help but feel the new adaptive pattern very, very slightly strayed towards the car ahead's driver's mirror, and so the right headlight unit might need a small bump to the right.

Reactions: Obie and goRt
I know this has been apparent for a while now and not new to this update, but one thing that’s really bugging me about the sat nav recently is the fact that when on an A road or motorway, instead of telling you to leave at Junction X in XX miles, it literally tells you to stay on at EVERY junction you pass until you pass the last junction before you need to leave. It makes for a much less relaxing trip. Why do I need to be told to stay on the motorway at every junction… just tell me which one I need to get off at, and in how many miles!!!
This is really annoying, drove up a lot of the M6 over the weekend and it's frustrating not knowing how much is left before you actually have to get off and the constant nags. Why has this change happened? Is it anything to do with AP/FSD etc?

Waze does that.. gets on my tits. I've more than once come off at the wrong junction because I wasn't paying enough attention to the screen and thought it was telling me to turn off.
I've found Waze to only do this at more complicated junctions, or where my current road can only be continued on certain lanes. Otherwise, it usually just says "M6 for 28 miles" or whatever.

Reactions: diddy84
Got the update and really looking forward to trying the adaptive lights. Got a 2hr30 drive on Thursday night on all types of roads - lit and unlit motorway, unlit dual carriageway with central reservation and urban with streetlights.

Got to try them last night and thought they were responsive and all-round excellent. No caveats to add. Been a while since I've been able to say that.

They do work well, but I have a couple of minor points.

One is that when approaching a parked car on an unlit road the system turns off the relevant pixels when it 'sees' the light reflected from the parked car's red reflectors - and now the illumination is removed there's no reflection so it turns the pixels back on, so the cycle repeats; with occasional cars parked on both sides of the narrow one-way approach into my village there's a fair bit of flashing going on!

The other point is that oncoming cars in dark twisty unlit country roads often flash main beams approaching a bend as a reminder for you to dip (which I do, as courtesy); however, with adaptive lights there's a temptation to leave the main beam on, knowing that the oncoming car won't be dazzled - but the oncoming driver doesn't know that and when it appears round the bend you may get a facefull of high beam directed at you for failing to dip.
I found that on country lanes it's still best to dip manually rather than leave it to the system.

The other point is that oncoming cars in dark twisty unlit country roads often flash main beams approaching a bend as a reminder for you to dip (which I do, as courtesy); however, with adaptive lights there's a temptation to leave the main beam on, knowing that the oncoming car won't be dazzled - but the oncoming driver doesn't know that and when it appears round the bend you may get a facefull of high beam directed at you for failing to dip.
I found that on country lanes it's still best to dip manually rather than leave it to the system.
That just sounds like bad driving.

Reactions: Utumno
Is it just me that doesn’t have the new one-time charge level feature with this update? Unless I’ve missed something the car will happily let me set 100% charge target and nowhere mentions anything about whether I want it to be temporary.

Is it just me that doesn’t have the new one-time charge level feature with this update? Unless I’ve missed something the car will happily let me set 100% charge target and nowhere mentions anything about whether I want it to be temporary.
I don't seem to have this, the 'you're at home below 20% remember to charge, or the 'wipers will spray water at any point in the wipe cycle' features.