Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Additional anecdotal data point to add to the conversation - I rarely see Model 3s at the UK Superchargers I've been to. I also have driven to Amsterdam and Frankfurt recently and, with the exception of Germany, I didn't see more than one 3 charging at all! Plenty of S and X though.

Well there you go - drove through France, Belgium and Luxembourg a couple of weeks ago. Stopped at every supercharger along the way just to check them out, 8 I think.....all working fine.....all with lots of M3's (mainly midnight silver) the odd X and and lots of S. Asked at 5 of them why my charge speed was greater than theirs.

Reactions: drewpost
PS - I see lots of MS and MX at Superchargers and relatively few M3s. Is that because the number of M3s is lower (though climbing) or is it that MS and MX mostly get free charging so can't resist, whereas M3 drivers charge at home?

Globally I think its about even (450k 3s, 450k s+x), but the UK got the model 3 pretty late, so the ratio likely skews way higher towards the S&X.
Other reasons:
1) as noted, S&X get free charge. When I stop at M3 fleet, I always charge because its free and I stop for coffee anyway so why not!
2) depends on time of day. S&X are pricey, probably company directors, freelance professionals, retired, travelling offpeak. Model 3 more likely regular salaried workers doing a 9-5 job and thus regular commute.

I suspect the number of long distance road trips by S&X drivers skews higher, because of all those travelling sales execs bombing all over the place. Model 3s are going to be used mainly for regular commuting.

I'm putting way too much thought into this :D

There doesn't appear to be any plan for a supercharger in Cornwall. That will make it a nightmare for travelling there in the summer
"Nightmare" is something of an overstatement. Cornwall is a very popular spot with Tesla owners. You can stop at Lifton and take on enough energy to get out and back to anywhere in Cornwall plus for local travel there are lots of destination charging options (many of them on Tesla's destination charging list) plus a good selection of public charge points. If anything, the main issue appears to be trying to squeeze Model X's down the narrow lanes.

Globally I think its about even (450k 3s, 450k s+x), but the UK got the model 3 pretty late, so the ratio likely skews way higher towards the S&X.
Other reasons:
1) as noted, S&X get free charge. When I stop at M3 fleet, I always charge because its free and I stop for coffee anyway so why not!
2) depends on time of day. S&X are pricey, probably company directors, freelance professionals, retired, travelling offpeak. Model 3 more likely regular salaried workers doing a 9-5 job and thus regular commute.

I suspect the number of long distance road trips by S&X drivers skews higher, because of all those travelling sales execs bombing all over the place. Model 3s are going to be used mainly for regular commuting.

I'm putting way too much thought into this :D

At the end of Q3 2019 there were 13.2K S and X's registered in the UK and 5.5K Model 3's. Official DfT figures for q4 are not available but the Model 3 would have at least doubled, probably nearer 12K. By the end of this quarter there will definitely be more model 3's than S and X combined.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark-R and ringi
There doesn't appear to be any plan for a supercharger in Cornwall. That will make it a nightmare for travelling there in the summer

I'm waiting for my M3 LR at the moment and my in laws are in the Penzance area, so we spend a lot of time there.

At the moment I think I'll be relying on the genie point at St Erth Station. A supercharger near Truro or Penzance would be useful...

Went to Nottingham from the West Midlands (Shrewsbury way) and found that the route is pretty piss poor for SC’s, with Telford being the only one. It’s a bit of a black hole, which is strange seeing as Nottingham is one of the greenest cities I’ve been to. Queen’s Drive Park and Ride was closed as it was flooded last week - guessing a lot of work needs to be done on the electrics there - lots of EV chargers in that park!

Nearest SCs were Stoke or Grantham - both of which meant a large detour. Ended up going to a shell garage for a quick squirt of charge - £9.80 for the pleasure of bugger all. Yikes. But, guess we are spoiled with the SC experience!

Went to Nottingham from the West Midlands (Shrewsbury way) and found that the route is pretty piss poor for SC’s, with Telford being the only one. It’s a bit of a black hole, which is strange seeing as Nottingham is one of the greenest cities I’ve been to. Queen’s Drive Park and Ride was closed as it was flooded last week - guessing a lot of work needs to be done on the electrics there - lots of EV chargers in that park!

Nearest SCs were Stoke or Grantham - both of which meant a large detour. Ended up going to a shell garage for a quick squirt of charge - £9.80 for the pleasure of bugger all. Yikes. But, guess we are spoiled with the SC experience!

Be good if they were to actually open the long touted service centre in the city, with a number or super chargers on site.

Try Leicester and see if you can find anything that charges higher than 7kw! And the services on the M1 at Leicester seem to not be working very well for the past 3 months! It's painful lol

Nottingham does have a great selection of 50kw chargers around which is great.

Reactions: m3gt2
Well, I have just taken on of the PMs dealing with the Rugby services and he has confirmed that the plans have officially been changed to include chargers for Tesla and Ecotricity, the cost of the HV feed is apparently a nightmare as the path has dual ownership by the council and WB depending on the depth! The cost of this alone will be over a million and covered in full by Tesla.