Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EG have long stood out as not having a strategy for transitioning to charging, but as they are drowning in debt it's not going to be easy for them anyway. While it's interesting to see Tesla opening another revenue stream into the business, it doesn't sound like there will be any advantage to Tesla Owners of these over any other type of third party charger.
I guess an open question is who maintains them, is it the same folks that do for Tesla ? If so will this dilute or enhance the service.
A broader question is if opening chargers to other brands and including payment needs more maintenance? Other brands seem to struggle with payments and have issues charging certain cars requiring upgrades etc. Why is Tesla better at this?

A broader question is if opening chargers to other brands and including payment needs more maintenance? Other brands seem to struggle with payments and have issues charging certain cars requiring upgrades etc. Why is Tesla better at this?
Tesla using Tesla is well known, controlled vertical integration.

Open to non-Tesla has thrown open the interoperability floodgates and the experience is definitely not as seamless with many stories of issues with particular models of MG’s (the ZS and MG5), Honda e and even VW cars.

Tesla chargers are also not 800V which makes the decision to use them even stranger.
You are right that would be short sighted so tends to support the reports that the V4 hardware is 800V capable so maybe these will be 800v.
Or maybe Tesla have sold them on the promise of 400V initially with a software upgrade to 800V later. That would be a very Tesla thing to do 🤣
Cyber truck is allegedly 1000 volt capable so you would have to assume Tesla is working on this for their chargers?

The stalls are 800v capable but there has been so sightings of a power cabinet with 800V capability and that’s the important bit.

The tombstone is just a box with a plug on the end of it that has a payment interface and cable cooling.

Your right 800v later via software update would be very Tesla 😆

Reactions: AnthonyLR
You, Sir, are missing the point. Surely all we want is that all other EV owners go to ASDA :)
You may both be missing the point because the story says "across their petrol station empire" does not say anything about ASDA. Supermarkets and chargers are a good fit so hopefully this is just poor wording in the story. ASDA has petrol stations of course but putting chargers in supermarket petrol stations makes no sense since they might as well be in the carpark where there is more space.

Reactions: CMc1 and ringi
You may both be missing the point because the story says "across their petrol station empire" does not say anything about ASDA. Supermarkets and chargers are a good fit so hopefully this is just poor wording in the story. ASDA has petrol stations of course but putting chargers in supermarket petrol stations makes no sense since they might as well be in the carpark where there is more space.
Yes, that's what tesco do... my local tesco has petrol station attached, but they installed chargers in the car park, rather than garage itself.

However, another petrol stations near me, both have charging points ( 2 x 2x150 kw shared) or some being installed.

I see no reason, whatsoever, unless lack of power supply of course, not to have chargers at every petrol station, at least 50 kw, it IS slower than 150 or 300, but it is better than nothing.

I’m staying at the Radstone Hotel south of Hamilton tonight where the Supercharger site looks to be coming along. A lot of the ground work looks to have been finished. I did ask if they had a likely start date and was told they were hoping for the end of the month. It looks quite a big site as the installs go all the way down the back of the car park.

IMG_2355.jpeg
IMG_2356.jpeg

I’m staying at the Radstone Hotel south of Hamilton tonight where the Supercharger site looks to be coming along. A lot of the ground work looks to have been finished. I did ask if they had a likely start date and was told they were hoping for the end of the month. It looks quite a big site as the installs go all the way down the back of the car park.

View attachment 990393View attachment 990394
Did you happen to count the number of charging cabinets/stalls? There's 16 in the planning application. It will be a great addition to the M74 charging options.

They will charger faster then most rapids as they are designed to give high currents to 400v cars with the Tesla only temperature monitoring in the car's socket.
It is possible they will find a way to retain Tesla's proprietary plug and charge tech. It may be necessary to have a separate EG account if they did but it could be done. It would even be possible to bill straight back to your Tesla account if the will was there to implement it? I guess we will see.