Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uk Company Car Expense Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to this. Can the company not pay for supercharging with a company card for work related journeys?

I asked my accountant the very same question about the tax implication of using the company card on the Tesla account for supercharging.
The question arises of course because HMRC rules clearly state there is no tax on charging if the employer pays for it directly. The alternative is where the employee pays for the charging and then subsequently claims it back as an expense, in which case it is taxable.
My accountant concluded that supercharging paid directly by the company, using the company card on the Tesla account, whether for business or personal use, is not taxable.

The reality is of course that I have only used a supercharger twice in the last year so the tax saving is way less that the cost of my accountant's advice.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
I asked my accountant the very same question about the tax implication of using the company card on the Tesla account for supercharging.
The question arises of course because HMRC rules clearly state there is no tax on charging if the employer pays for it directly. The alternative is where the employee pays for the charging and then subsequently claims it back as an expense, in which case it is taxable.
My accountant concluded that supercharging paid directly by the company, using the company card on the Tesla account, whether for business or personal use, is not taxable.

The reality is of course that I have only used a supercharger twice in the last year so the tax saving is way less that the cost of my accountant's advice.
Yeah thats my understanding

For company owned vehicles all charging is exempt from BIK even for personal miles. I can't see the trouble in a company paying for supercharging regardless of usage. Using the HMRC calculator it appears that the key differentiator is whether the company pays for all usage or not. Where it doesn't then the complications seem to arise.

Hi,

I've just moved to a new employer and have a model 3 as company car. The car is leased by my employer so they cover all the costs for it, I just charge at home and then charge when out and about, using my own credit card.

They've said to me that the advisory mileage rate for electric cars is 4p per mile and that's what they'll pay, but on the first journeys I've done I have to use a significant amount of supercharging, which 4p per mile doesn't get close to covering. I did 417 miles over two days last week and the actual cost was close to £35, and I'd only get £17 back at 4p.

Does anyone have any experience from the same situation and what agreements they have in place? Should I claim 4p per mile up to any supercharge and then just claim for the cost of the charge outright? Would be good if anyone has been in the same situation and can advise how to get around it, as I can't afford to fund 50% of business mileage myself.
Seems to be a typical rate for company electric cars. I get the same. I do a lot of miles a week but I tend to a hedge up at home and take advantage of cheap rate electric and only supercharge when nessesary. I get 300 miles range out my car so I suppose that helps keep the cost down.

Hi,

I've just moved to a new employer and have a model 3 as company car. The car is leased by my employer so they cover all the costs for it, I just charge at home and then charge when out and about, using my own credit card.

They've said to me that the advisory mileage rate for electric cars is 4p per mile and that's what they'll pay, but on the first journeys I've done I have to use a significant amount of supercharging, which 4p per mile doesn't get close to covering. I did 417 miles over two days last week and the actual cost was close to £35, and I'd only get £17 back at 4p.

Does anyone have any experience from the same situation and what agreements they have in place? Should I claim 4p per mile up to any supercharge and then just claim for the cost of the charge outright? Would be good if anyone has been in the same situation and can advise how to get around it, as I can't afford to fund 50% of business mileage myself.
Hi, HMRC set rates and I get the same - 4p. If you claim for more (if your employer let you) then you would have to declare it and pay tax on it (your usual PAYE rate). If you’re travelling to other company sites you can push them to install fast chargers at each one, but if they agree to pay more than 4p you’ll have to pay the tax on it, although at least you’d get 60-80% back of the additional cost