Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK Discussion] This is what a self driving car looks like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue it's better to have a near flawless drive in a limited area vs a very sketchy drive everywhere but that's just my opinion
Lol okay. Then go on your map and map out some areas where fsd beta never fails. Lots of low density easy roads out there where fsd beta never fails and just stick to that.

I rather have my car attempt a drive anywhere. This is way more impressive.

I watched the whole thing as well. He was overall pleased with the trip but took longer than it should have since it drove through neighborhoods instead of taking the main roads.
  • Lots of phantom breaking!
  • Hogs the left lane most of the trip
  • A good amount of "close calls" being too close to other vehicles.
  • Slows down for the speed bumps and dips in the road
  • More expensive than traditional Uber but "This is worth every penny, this is so cool"

With all that equipment required to run a Waymo and at the rates they charge, I don’t see how they could ever make money. Sure, hardware becomes cheaper over time but this has a LONG way to go.
The equipment cost is not what kills them, its the operating cost. There are more engineers and customer service workers monitoring and fixing issues than there are riders per day. They are only giving out a few hundred rides per week. Think about all the money they made from a few hundred rides vs the few hundred 200k/year engineers needed to keep this thing going.

Robotaxies like these are hilariously a bad business model many don't seem to appreciate.

Oh look, all the true believers from across the Atlantic have crawled out of the woodwork to downvote and be negative about something that isn't Tesla.

I think the downvoting has more to do with your statement of "this is more impressive than FSD". Waymo is geofenced, meaning it is a very narrow hand-tailored specialized solution to autonomous driving, while FSD is attempting to be a generalized and overtly broad solution. One is much, MUCH more difficult than the other, yet people continue to treat both solutions as being comparative. They really aren't. Thus, your downvotes.

Waymo is impressive for what it is, ten years ago something like this was pure science fiction, BUT Tesla's FSD is leagues upon leagues more impressive from both an effort and usability point of view.

I think the downvoting has more to do with your statement of "this is more impressive than FSD". Waymo is geofenced, meaning it is a very narrow hand-tailored specialized solution to autonomous driving, while FSD is attempting to be a generalized and overtly broad solution. One is much, MUCH more difficult than the other, yet people continue to treat both solutions as being comparative. They really aren't. Thus, your downvotes.

Waymo is impressive for what it is, ten years ago something like this was pure science fiction, BUT Tesla's FSD is leagues upon leagues more impressive from both an effort and usability point of view.
People really don't understand the economics of robotaxi and it seems again, only Elon is the real business men in this regard.

Robotaxi will never reach the cash printing dream if it requires geofencing. It is just not economically feasible for a bunch of engineers to monitor and then hardcode every problem away from a small geo fenced area. The more area you expand, the more engineers and support staff needed, the more issues that come up, the more operating expense.

See when Elon napkin mathed his robotaxi vision, it requires few engineers overseeing the entire US, but mainly focusing on the car self solving away their problems, not hard coding. This is the only way to profitability.

So yeah maybe it's Elons wishful thinking that true general self correcting fsd can be solved and he is way over his head. But this is the only way to profitability, so it's either solved or a bust. In the mean time he can charge people for this very advanced adas system and make positive cash flow.

People really don't understand the economics of robotaxi and it seems again, only Elon is the real business men in this regard.

Robotaxi will never reach the cash printing dream if it requires geofencing. It is just not economically feasible for a bunch of engineers to monitor and then hardcode every problem away from a small geo fenced area. The more area you expand, the more engineers and support staff needed, the more issues that come up, the more operating expense.

See when Elon napkin mathed his robotaxi vision, it requires few engineers overseeing the entire US, but mainly focusing on the car self solving away their problems, not hard coding. This is the only way to profitability.

So yeah maybe it's Elons wishful thinking that true general self correcting fsd can be solved and he is way over his head. But this is the only way to profitability, so it's either solved or a bust. In the mean time he can charge people for this very advanced adas system and make positive cash flow.
I have no doubt that "fake self driving" would be able, without maps, to drive me around the lanes of Ceredigion. My first born will have got married, had kids, and sent them off to college by the time my journey ends, but it would be theoretically possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: yessuz and Stormy24
No, just those of us with FSDb enjoy rides like this one in the video . . . ALL DAY . . . EVERY DAY.
🥱

🥱

🥱

Alphabet's "Other Bets" made last year ~$5B loss. Large part of that is Waymo.

Tesla's FSD program is nearly paying itself. Example last year whole R/D was $0.8B and Tesla should have $1B in “FSD” revenue to recognized in increments.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: bkp_duke and CWT3LR
I have no issue with the robo taxi vision or the economics. Maybe just a little over optimistic on timescales. Maybe 10 years? £B’s. Not saying we shouldn’t do it.

Tesla still has a long tail of problems to solve. At some point on the journey Tesla will probably need a remote control room setup (like Waymo) for some of the ‘niche scenarios’. Accidents, flocks of sheep, stuck in mud off-road? A car with no steering wheel and no driver will need help at some point.

To put it simply one firm gets auto cars to navigate within a scripted few miles and another firm puts rockets into space and auto navigates them beck to a launch pad, different league I'm afraid. And no I'm not a Tesla fan just somebody that takes notice and I not knocking either firm they both produce potential ground breaking products but as I say different league and I suspect always will be.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR and bkp_duke
Status
Not open for further replies.