Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Electricity Tariffs for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been browsing this thread and trying to identify the company most likely to be able to supply a smart meter relatively quickly. I'm currently with Pure Planet (14.018p per kWh and 26.301p per day standing charge) and have an old EDMI SMETS1 meter whiich isn't "smart enough" for the new smart tariffs.

All I can see from recent postings is that Octopus have been installing in the S/SW area (I'm in Bournemouth) but have not had a response from them to my query on how quickly I'm likely to get a new meter installed.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations of companies to switch to who are installing Smart Meters relatively quickly (in South UK)? My Model 3 is due for delivery on 7th Nov so am keen to switch suppliers asap.

Octopus Go is compatible with some SMETS1 meters - I have one! I think it's 'Secure 100' or similar branding.

Have been browsing this thread and trying to identify the company most likely to be able to supply a smart meter relatively quickly. I'm currently with Pure Planet (14.018p per kWh and 26.301p per day standing charge) and have an old EDMI SMETS1 meter whiich isn't "smart enough" for the new smart tariffs.

All I can see from recent postings is that Octopus have been installing in the S/SW area (I'm in Bournemouth) but have not had a response from them to my query on how quickly I'm likely to get a new meter installed.

Anyone have any experience/recommendations of companies to switch to who are installing Smart Meters relatively quickly (in South UK)? My Model 3 is due for delivery on 7th Nov so am keen to switch suppliers asap.

Octopus will work with SMETS1 meters, but only if they are the Secure brand.

It’s very difficult to say who is installing meters in a certain area, because most of the companies seem to use the same group of contractors to fit the meters.

My advice would be to pick based on what tariff is best for you, then create a fuss telling them that you need a smart meter. The person that makes the most noise often gets what he wants!

In case you decide to go with Octopus (no exit fees if it doesn’t work out) I’ve sent you a referral code.

I used to rely on my signature for any referrals, with a line saying PM me for a referral code.

Unfortunately someone didn’t like that, despite many other members having a similar signature, and reported me to a moderator.

Of course I removed the mention of the referral.

I didn't bubble you.
I ain't no squealer.

• Funny
Reactions: dane1977 and Roy W.
Anyone here with experience of Octopus Agile vs. Go? Other than the opportunity to micromanage my daily usage is there an advantage: I'm only expecting to be charging a few nights in the typical week so watching the app for a good deal might get tedious. When I contacted Octopus to ask about changing onto Go they seemed to be pushing Agile instead.

Anyone here with experience of Octopus Agile vs. Go?

I've run a few comparisons between the tariffs now I've got some data from my smart meter readings.

As expected, you'd need the ability to avoid the peak periods around late afternoon to early evening, so without a powerwall type solution it would be likely you'd end up paying more on Agile than you would on Go.

Solar alone may not be enough to handle that load at that time of day, but it gets easier of course if you do not use electricity for cooking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cwmwd
I've run a few comparisons between the tariffs now I've got some data from my smart meter readings.

As expected, you'd need the ability to avoid the peak periods around late afternoon to early evening, so without a powerwall type solution it would be likely you'd end up paying more on Agile than you would on Go.

Solar alone may not be enough to handle that load at that time of day, but it gets easier of course if you do not use electricity for cooking.

I have a gas cooker and I think there is only 1 day that Agile has been more expensive in the last 30 days and that would have been less than 10p extra.

957kWh with 405kWh in the Go period and Agile would have been £15 less. I did only use 77kWh between 4-7PM without trying to avoid it

• Helpful
Reactions: Cwmwd
I have a gas cooker and I think there is only 1 day that Agile has been more expensive in the last 30 days and that would have been less than 10p extra.

The gas cooker makes the difference... If you cook with electric during those critical hours Agile will not really work for you unless you have an alternative source that can support the load.

After much waiting got a SMETS2 meter installed with bulb.

.. which doesn't work. Apparently they haven't figured out how to run the network in the north yet, Bulb have an ETA for making it work some time in 2020 - and it'll require another engineer visit! I might as well not have bothered..

I wonder if Octopus could figure something out as they seem more competent about this stuff.

After much waiting got a SMETS2 meter installed with bulb.

.. which doesn't work. Apparently they haven't figured out how to run the network in the north yet, Bulb have an ETA for making it work some time in 2020 - and it'll require another engineer visit! I might as well not have bothered..

I wonder if Octopus could figure something out as they seem more competent about this stuff.

I suspect you might have been better off with SMETS1 in this instance, and yes, I suspect Octopus wouldn't have installed SMETS2 if it wasn't going to work.

If that 2020 estimate is the best they can offer it may be worth giving Octopus a try and see what they can do to get you a working solution. That may be installing SMETS1 of course but that is still better than having a non-functional SMETS2.

I'll send you a referral code just in case you decide to give them a try.