Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uk enhanced autopilot changed??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had the occasional “pay attention to the road” warning when digging deeper into the navigation than I should have done, but very rarely and never to the extent of being locked out (whether for the one drive or a week).

I do 99% of my driving with Autopilot engaged so your car either has a faulty / misaligned camera, or you’re genuinely taking your eyes off the road for a significant amount of time.
That's my experience too. I have to go out of my way to stare at the screen for several second to get the "Pay attention to the road" prompt, and single blue pulse, but that's it. I presume you have to carry on ignoring the request to actually get a lockout.

It leaves me concerned about just how inattentive some people must be on AP, or even generally, that they're hitting these lockouts even once, let alone multiple times.

I’ve had the occasional “pay attention to the road” warning when digging deeper into the navigation than I should have done, but very rarely and never to the extent of being locked out (whether for the one drive or a week).

I do 99% of my driving with Autopilot engaged so your car either has a faulty / misaligned camera, or you’re genuinely taking your eyes off the road for a significant amount of time.
I dont take my eyes off of the road for longer than it takes to do whatever i am trying to do on the screen, Tesla decided there is no need to have tactile buttons and put some settings in menu's that take a bit of time to do, what am i expected to do then. (For example...Turn on heated rear seats....Press screen where the temperature is displayed, press rear and press whatever seat i want to turn on heating for, however many times i have to press it to get to the right heat setting....And repeat the last steps for whatever other seats i want to turn on heating for as well).

I am offcourse taking my eyes off of the road to do that, i just find it silly that Tesla said years and years ago that we were near "Self driving cars" and now, even if i am driving on a near empty motorway with good striping it is suddenly even more dangerous to take my eyes off of the road to change a radiostation than before.

Also i suspect the camera system is having a harder time detecting if my eyes are "pointed" out the window, because i am using glasses, i have had an instance where i was looking out the window and suddenly i got the warning anyway.

That's my experience too. I have to go out of my way to stare at the screen for several second to get the "Pay attention to the road" prompt, and single blue pulse, but that's it. I presume you have to carry on ignoring the request to actually get a lockout.

It leaves me concerned about just how inattentive some people must be on AP, or even generally, that they're hitting these lockouts even once, let alone multiple times.
The AP lockout can be for various reasons not only their claimed inattentiveness.

For example.

The max AP speed in the country i live in is set to 140....

The motorway speedlimit is 130 and with the misalignment between speedo and actual speed i need to do about 134 on the speedo to do 130 in reality (GPS speed)

Not a lot of room between succes and failure, sometimes i cruise along at 130 (134 indicated) but for some reason i need to speed up slightly, momentarily, while overtaking or to maybe to avoid some dangerous situation for example. If i then touch the accelerator, due to the cars performance it takes a very very short time before i hit 141 km/h (Difference between actual speed limit and forced disconnect is about 5 mph)

The millisecond i do that the car will violently beep at me, force disengage the AP, show a big image of a steering wheel with red and then refuse to re-engage at all before the car has been in Park.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I've had a full lockout just for glancing at the screen to adjust something, but that was quite a way into a long drive. I think it's cumulative, so as you drive for longer it gets more likely you'll tip it over the edge, so it doesn't take much in the end.

It also doesn't seem to like my glasses & will beep at me for 'not looking at the road' even though I clearly am.

I've had a full lockout just for glancing at the screen to adjust something, but that was quite a way into a long drive. I think it's cumulative, so as you drive for longer it gets more likely you'll tip it over the edge, so it doesn't take much in the end.

It also doesn't seem to like my glasses & will beep at me for 'not looking at the road' even though I clearly am.
I am glad i am not the only one that has the problem where i look at the road and it still tells me to look at the road, and just like you i am wearing glasses so i guess they might distort the view of my eyes and make the car think i am not looking when in fact i am.

With the weather improving i have had a few trips where i use my sunglasses with the right strength and when i have those on, i have not had it go off, even if i looked at the screen for a similar amount of time as when i have my normal glasses and it did.

I have mounted a small sliding cover meant for laptop cameras, so when it goes off even when i am looking i just close that up to avoid it doing it more than once and in the end disengaging and adding a strike to my 5 strikes.

Annoying as this should not be needed, but if i dont i risk, the AP being off for a week because of false or "too eager" detection

Reactions: Tony Hoyle
hmmm.. talking about strikes - does anyone know:
1) How long does the single strikes lasts? Does it go away after certain period of time or it is there forever and ever?
2) if you collect 5 strikes - they take AP away. Is it permanent removal of the feature or you are forced to sit out like a week or so?

1) I don’t think it goes away.

2) Mate had to wait a week in his UK Y then he reset to 0

Thanks for the answer!

But seriously, Jesus Christ.. it's another stupid design by tesla...

the ONLY manufacturer which disables AP-like system during the drive for whatever reason and until you put you car in park, the only one which provides strikes... and these never go away...

it's the present which keeps on giving...

Reading on other forums people are planning a driving holidays with 3 or 4 strikes and they are left with the dilemma to force the other couple of strikes or risk the strikes happening while on holiday.

Tesla should be forced to place this on their webpage and all advertising of EAP and FSD.
to be fair, if this is not expiring "offence" which actually expires 1 week after 5th Strike - then I would most definitely apply for all 5 strikes 1 month before some holiday trip.

it is stupid by desing.

Thanks for the answer!

But seriously, Jesus Christ.. it's another stupid design by tesla...

the ONLY manufacturer which disables AP-like system during the drive for whatever reason and until you put you car in park, the only one which provides strikes... and these never go away...

it's the present which keeps on giving...
I haven't had one strike yet. Based on my testing it seems I would have to stare at the screen for several seconds AND ignore the directive to pay attention to the road AND ignore whatever comes after, just to get a single strike.

That's a level of inattentiveness that seems crazy to me.

I'm not convinced it was someone sane. Disabling AP entirely is the worst possible thing to do for safety.
It seems to me more of a tacit admission that AP is not a panacea for safety. You're still supposed to be watching the road and ready to take over at a moments notice. Some people, including on here it appears, seem to think that AP is a licence to basically nod off in the drivers seat or dick about with the screen for extended periods of time all while the car is covering long distances without any oversight.

I’ve had one…..

Couple of weeks ago. A long drive from Manchester to Portsmouth direct.

Had a couple of blue flashing screens along the way that were duly acknowledged. Then ¾ of the way into the journey I got the naughty boy message and strike no1 with no warning whatsoever - certainly no aural warning can’t be 100% sure there wasn’t a blue screen of death because oddly I was concentrating on driving and not looking for stupid bloody messages on the screen.

If only someone had invented something that’s in front of you, in your line of vision, where such warning could be noticed 🙃

Honestly, I struggle to see how people are getting so many warnings. I’ve only managed it when I’ve deliberately tried to provoke it.

Luckily it’s now the time of year where you’ll most likely be wearing sunglasses and that completely defeats the eye tracking (another job well done by Tesla 🤡)

If only someone had invented something that’s in front of you, in your line of vision, where such warning could be noticed 🙃

Honestly, I struggle to see how people are getting so many warnings. I’ve only managed it when I’ve deliberately tried to provoke it.

Luckily it’s now the time of year where you’ll most likely be wearing sunglasses and that completely defeats the eye tracking (another job well done by Tesla 🤡)
Should also add I had the camera cover on.

Reactions: yessuz