Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Government Calls for Automated Lane Keeping Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It really doesn't relate to tesla at all.. it's level 3 autonomy up to 40mph on motorways (or I guess suitably partitioned A roads). Whereas previously we'd have just waved the EU regs into law we have to implement it ourselves now, hence this consultation. I don't see the government varying from the text of WP29 any time soon, though.. we're frequently the ones pushing for more restrictions in UNECE.

Useful for companies wanting to test level 3 tech as it gives them a legal framework with which to do so... but not really practical for a full rollout - that will require further time.

... so ... in reality this is automated queuing on motorways. Like stop and go cruise on a L2 car but with responsibility on the car not the driver to steer within one lane ?

Reactions: ringi
But the technology could be given the go ahead for speeds of up to 70mph in the UK, according to the DfT, potentially making long stretches of tedious motorway driving a thing of the past.
Hands-free driving could be made legal on UK roads

Let’s hope:
1. The call for evidence persuades the .gov they want to realise the benefits of Brexit.
2. Elon can fix phantom breaking (particular for bridges).

• Disagree
Reactions: tsh2
Some of those mystify me as our car quite happily detects, slows and stops at a stationary queue of traffic.

Agreed, no problem there but using AP when at speed on the inside lane with your eyes off the road for a second (I know I know) and a car has stopped in your lane as there isn't a hard shoulder.
I do wonder what the sensing range of the radar is as there is at least one troubling video where an M3 ploughs straight in to a truck on its side.

Tesla will have looked at the data on that but the car had a clear view of the overturned truck and radar is colour blind so the white colour of the truck should not be an issue.

Some other explanations are in this video.