Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Home Charging - Best Tariff's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Brand New to the Forum. Have a Brand New M3P on order with delivery due in late June so am getting my home charging sorted prior to arrival. In terms of home charger, I am quite sure I am going to go for the HyperVolt 2.0, that's the easy bit.

The not so easy bit, is the Electric Provider and who to go with. Obviously since April in the UK the energy price CAP shifted and a lot of previously attractive tariff's from the likes of Octopus are way less attractive than they used to be. I was with Shell Energy on a Dual Fuel arrangement and they've shifted me on to a Standard Variable Tariff where the rates are:

Electric Cost per Kwh - 28.46 pence
Electric Standing Charge - 43.39 pence per day
Gas Cost per Kwh - 7.48 pence
Gas Standing Charge - 27.22 pence per day

Comparing this to the best offering from Octopus Intelligence Tariff giving overnight 6 hours of cheap electric they are offering the following:

Electric Cost per Kwh On Peak- 28.46 pence
Electric Cost per Kwh Off Peak (6 hours per night)- 7.5 pence per hour
Standing Charge - 43.12 pence per day
Gas Cost per Kwh - 12.8 pence
Gas Standing Charge - 27.2 pence per day

From the above, if I move from Shell Energy on their SVR, I will end up paying circa £100 a month more on my dual fuel bill, before I have even charged my car. Sure, the car charge would be about £4 to fill overnight on Octopus rather than £20 on Shell, but am I missing something here? If I typically filled up with charge at home once a week or so, it's actually cheaper to stay on an old supplier's SVR, than go on to a company like Octopus' special EV tariff who were famous for allowing owners to charge up cheap at home. It seems now though, that the cheap charging they offer is negated by their other charges being way higher.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the best UK tariffs where there's a blend of low overnight and sensible day rates?

Who are you all with? What figures are you paying?

Thanks for your help in advance and I look forward to becoming part of the community.

F

Reactions: Toblerone
Are you sure the gas price in your post for Octopus is correct? I'm on the variable gas and am paying 7.48p/kWh, which I believe is the current capped price for my area. With that in mind, your bill will be much lower on Intelligent Octopus if you charge your car overnight, plus you will get additional low-rate slots at other times. Also the added benefit of all other usage in the house during your off-peak rates being at the lower cost of course.

There's a long active thread on here discussing IO, which is definitely worth a read: Intelligent Octopus

If I typically filled up with charge at home once a week or so, it's actually cheaper to stay on an old supplier's SVR
Highly unlikely that you will use an ev like that. Best to be plugged in every night, whether you charge or not. You tend not to run the car down to a low percentage and fill up… rather you charge to say 80%… use 25% of that and then charge back up to 80% that night. Keeping the battery in its mid range is a good thing. Keeping it at 100% or < 20% are to be avoided if battery health is high on your agenda.

Hi all

Brand New to the Forum. Have a Brand New M3P on order with delivery due in late June so am getting my home charging sorted prior to arrival. In terms of home charger, I am quite sure I am going to go for the HyperVolt 2.0, that's the easy bit.

The not so easy bit, is the Electric Provider and who to go with. Obviously since April in the UK the energy price CAP shifted and a lot of previously attractive tariff's from the likes of Octopus are way less attractive than they used to be. I was with Shell Energy on a Dual Fuel arrangement and they've shifted me on to a Standard Variable Tariff where the rates are:

Electric Cost per Kwh - 28.46 pence
Electric Standing Charge - 43.39 pence per day
Gas Cost per Kwh - 7.48 pence
Gas Standing Charge - 27.22 pence per day

Comparing this to the best offering from Octopus Intelligence Tariff giving overnight 6 hours of cheap electric they are offering the following:

Electric Cost per Kwh On Peak- 28.46 pence
Electric Cost per Kwh Off Peak (6 hours per night)- 7.5 pence per hour
Standing Charge - 43.12 pence per day
Gas Cost per Kwh - 12.8 pence
Gas Standing Charge - 27.2 pence per day

From the above, if I move from Shell Energy on their SVR, I will end up paying circa £100 a month more on my dual fuel bill, before I have even charged my car. Sure, the car charge would be about £4 to fill overnight on Octopus rather than £20 on Shell, but am I missing something here? If I typically filled up with charge at home once a week or so, it's actually cheaper to stay on an old supplier's SVR, than go on to a company like Octopus' special EV tariff who were famous for allowing owners to charge up cheap at home. It seems now though, that the cheap charging they offer is negated by their other charges being way higher.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the best UK tariffs where there's a blend of low overnight and sensible day rates?

Who are you all with? What figures are you paying?

Thanks for your help in advance and I look forward to becoming part of the community.

F
Octopus Flexible gas is not 12.8p, its 7.5p.

Crazy that its cheaper to public charge at a 50kWh charger than use home electricity during the day. I am not even on an EV tarriff and it is still cheaper to use a pod point charger with full fat VAT than the home electric that I also still need to pay a standing charge for the right to use.

Crazy that its cheaper to public charge at a 50kWh charger than use home electricity during the day. I am not even on an EV tarriff and it is still cheaper to use a pod point charger with full fat VAT than the home electric that I also still need to pay a standing charge for the right to use.

What does your home electricity cost per kWh?

Really, what are you paying per kWh at home?

I can’t find a better tarrif for me than Octopus Go.

Dynamic unit rate
26.82p/day STANDING CHARGE

Time
Price (p/kWh)
12:30-04:30 7.5p
04:30-12:30 29.82p

I have 7kwh of storage batteries. So I charge the car and batteries off peak at 7.5 per kWh.

32.14p standing charge + 29.63p unit charge in London. But there is a 50kWh charger at a supermarket near me that costs 26p/kWh and another one at a different super market that charges 28p/kWh.

You'll be paying your daily standing charge whether you charge an EV or not so that's not an extra ... any public charging that's less than 29.63 is certainly cheap! (My nearest public 50kW is still free on CPS ... but it's a 32 mile round trip so I don't use it!)

The octopus deal is a fixed price for a year, that always adds a premium to the cost compared to the current capped variable rate. Most people believe the capped price will increase again in October.

Flexible gas prices from Octopus in my area are 7.22pence a KWh and as said above the standing charge is payable irrespective of your daily use. I know and appreciate I'm very lucky because my rate is still at 14.99pence and 5pence till Feb next year and the two local supermarkets 2 mile away are still offering free 4*22KW chargers which strangely are always empty when I do my shopping so I generally gain 38+ extra miles for the sake of plugging in. If these chargers start to get busy I will give them a miss and let others not so fortunate use the facility but as I state up to now they rarely get any use .I have only witnessed one other car charging whilst I do my shop since two chargers were installed in the Aldi car park and I have been using them since Sep last year.

Can I ask if anyone has there supply supported with PV and what they are seeing on their electricity bills which may offset EV charging?

We installed more PV in November and have been waiting on our Powerwall (now due in May), so have been charging during sunshine hours, thinking that we get the juice before it goes out to the grid - but we have had the car only since February so am not sure what the results are going to be (our smart meter is useless so we don't know any info excepting our generation rates).

I was going to wait to install the battery before talking to Octopus.

I’m on Octopus Go, I have a shed load of PV and two Powerwalls. But I’m retired so my mileage is low (5500 miles in 26 months) and I can charge anytime.
I use less than 70kWh peak rate per year along with 2200kWh off-peak from the grid, that’s mostly in winter.
April’s electric bill is £8.19 £7.50 of that is standing charge.
a Powerwall will certainly be a useful reservoir

We're on Octopus Go, two EVs, one Powerwall (restricted to 3.6 kW charge/discharge), with 7.3 kWp solar. Our electric bill for April was £32, not including standing charge, for over 1100 kWh consumed by the house/EVs.

In April, the Model 3 did 550 miles, using 108 kWh of grid energy and 93 kWh of solar. The Model Y did 350 miles, using 58 kWh grid and 85 kWh solar.

We pulled a grand total of 7.3 kWh of grid energy during peak hours for the whole month.

Yes, I'm a complete nerd and track all this stuff! One advantage of being retired - plenty time to play around with these things!

So even with just one restricted Powerwall, the potential savings are huge at this time of year.

Reactions: Dilly