Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks - this is my first post. I joined yesterday on the day I placed an order for a used MS60! I'm looking for advice and or tips for a home charging solution apart from the standard Tesla kit.

I've had a look around the forums and set up a few searches but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a standard day time tariff at home and the consumer board has a 80A main fuse. I'm pretty sure I only have a single phase supply. I have an extension consumer box in the garage at that is rated at 63A (well that's what it says on the breaker).

Can any fellow UK members pass on any tips/advice/hints on charging options. PS I don't fancy the thought of digging up the drive and laying new cables to the garage.

Many thanks for your help in advance :)

Hi. I’m also in the UK and I got a Universal Charger that came with the car (you will too if it’s a new car).

If you plug this into a standard plug in your garage, you will charge at about 6 miles per hour. So overnight (12 hours) will get you about 72 miles per night. Obviously if you don’t do 72 miles per day, this will be cumulative and over a few days you’ll have a full charge (which you can keep topped up).

However you’ll also get a blue adapter for this universal charger which you can get a 32amp commando socket unstalled in the garage (it’s a very simple install if you have a new fuse board). I did it myself for under £10 (only do this if you know what you’re doing).

This will charge your car at 22 miles per hour. So overnight (again 12 hours) will give you a full charge from empty.

Don’t forget though that you’re encouraged to keep topped up. Unlike a petrol car where you fill it and run it empty.

A plugged in Tesla is a happy tesla is what they say.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
HibT
Hi. I’m also in the UK and I got a Universal Charger that came with the car (you will too if it’s a new car).

If you plug this into a standard plug in your garage, you will charge at about 6 miles per hour. So overnight (12 hours) will get you about 72 miles per night. Obviously if you don’t do 72 miles per day, this will be cumulative and over a few days you’ll have a full charge (which you can keep topped up).

However you’ll also get a blue adapter for this universal charger which you can get a 32amp commando socket unstalled in the garage (it’s a very simple install if you have a new fuse board). I did it myself for under £10 (only do this if you know what you’re doing).

This will charge your car at 22 miles per hour. So overnight (again 12 hours) will give you a full charge from empty.

Don’t forget though that you’re encouraged to keep topped up. Unlike a petrol car where you fill it and run it empty.

A plugged in Tesla is a happy tesla is what they say.
evvy

Hi Tevvy. Thanks for your reply. So a basic wall socket for a commando plug I ll that's needed? So what's the big deal with the the Tesla wall charger? Apart from £500 I suppose it does come with a tethered cable....

So a basic wall socket for a commando plug I ll that's needed? So what's the big deal with the the Tesla wall charger? Apart from £500 I suppose it does come with a tethered cable....

The idea is to keep the UMC with you in case of emergencies, so using it as your main point of charging will require you to plug and unplug it every day, which at best is a pain and at worse will slowly wear the connectors out.

There's also the fact that the UMC can't be submerged or left in a puddle so you either need to keep it indoors or get a Dribox.

will require you to plug and unplug it every day,
No, it definitely does not require that. Are you going to use up 200+ miles driving around town where you live every day? For most people, no. Owners who use their mobile charge cable as their regular daily charging just leave it plugged in and hanging on a hook at home, and only unplug it and pack it up if they are going out of town on a trip.

HibT

evvy

Hi Tevvy. Thanks for your reply. So a basic wall socket for a commando plug I ll that's needed? So what's the big deal with the the Tesla wall charger? Apart from £500 I suppose it does come with a tethered cable....

Exactly. I could see no real benefit. No speed benefit. Only real benefit is the waterproofness, but as mines in the garage this is irrelevant. As for taking it with me, this also is nonsense as you have a type 2 connector also with the car which is what you use normally.