TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

UK Long Range Charging Network

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by dpeilow, Apr 6, 2010.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Speak to Gian Avignone about a cable. You are right though, it will be single phase only.

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Good news... We now have another HPC online at QHotels Ashford International Hotel in Kent, next to Junction 9 on the M20.

This is close to the Channel Tunnel terminal and ferry ports and gives access between the UK and France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

It is now possible to get from the UK to the Eindhoven store if you take the Ramsgate-Oostende ferry (158 road miles). From there it is possible to reach Germany, the Dutch and German auto-train terminals and the Nürburgring. It is also possible to reach Widodh's place via the Channel Tunnel so there is no excuse not to come for a road trip, guys :biggrin:

This also completes a line of chargers all the way from Dover in the South to the North of Scotland.

AshfordHPC.JPG

Get Fully Charged at Ashford International Hotel - MyAshford.com

3. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

dont forget, you can reach Hückelhoven and the fridge with the famous (reserved) beer

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Here's the new HPC at The Moat House, just north of Birmingham (courtesey of Kevin)

[​IMG]

It's been a while coming - I first started talking to these guys in summer 2010 - but that completes the M6 corridor :biggrin:

6. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Had to look that up, M6 runs from Birmingham to the Manchester / Liverpool region. Congrats!

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

In fact it runs up to the Scottish border, where it turns into the M74 until reaching Glasgow.

With this HPC online, it is also possible to reach Dublin and the excellent EV infrastructure that now exists in Ireland.

8. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

congratulations for this usefull network!

Tesla and Tesla-owners are lucky with this network!
    Traveling across the Uk is now just a principle of wanting to do, instead of being able to do!

I wonder how long it would take to drive from Dublin to the Nurburgring (or Berlin) with this network and the German one!
    Would be an epic roadtrip, but now not so epic anymore as before!

9. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Yes we really would like to encourage owners in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, etc to come and visit. There are plenty of great hotels with HPCs and 32A charging online now.

We could use that Antwerp public HPC as well. Perhaps you can help with the approach to the hotels?

10. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

I would like to help, but how?
    How did you convince hotels?

Unfortunately I am not very mobile, but I will do my best!

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

If you can make the approach, either on the phone or email that would be helpful. I'll tell you what to say, but I'm guessing those guys will speak Flemish(?)

12. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

That is no problem at all!
    I speak Dutch (Flemish), French and as you can assume English! :biggrin:

My problem is that I am an "EV"-user of this kind : :wink:
    Cartoon%20Of%20Larry.jpg

So I have a range-problem! No range-anxiety dough! :biggrin:
    So if I must go visit the hotel (20km from my home) I must pull some strings to drive me there, or hope for a (rare) really sunny day! :biggrin:
    But nothing that's impossible! ;-)

13. eugenel

eugenel Member

Here are some pictures of the Moat House HPC experience. I'd called them in advance and been assured the charger was working, but when we first rocked up all we saw was the very clearly marked and RESERVED two bays for ZCW chargers. No sign of the HPC charger point. We presented ourselves before the very attractive receptionist, who looked a bit blank about the number and type of chargers available. She did, however, find an email but that just referred to the ZCW chargers. Fortunately, just as I was starting to think our holiday was in jeopardy and we'd need to book a room for an overnight charge, she called someone. This unseen worthy knew all about the Tesla HPC charger and was able to direct is to a corner of the car-park.

The only problem then was that an Audi was parked there, almost blocking it. Fortunately (again) I was able to creep in alongside by using the grass. To be fair to the Audi, the charge area is unmarked and she (saw her later) was in a perfectly good parking slot. There are no instructions on the charger, but I flicked on the two RCD switches, plugged in and pressed START and everything started whirring happily. I checked to see 70A on the display and then Jana (my wife) and I adjourned for an excellent lunch in the bar.

Here are the piccies:

View attachment 10116

Tesla squeezes in for a charge

View attachment 10117

Up and suckling 70A

View attachment 10118

So, in summary, all went well, but my recommendations for improvements would be:

1. The Tesla HPC charger station should be clearly marked to prevent it being blocked
    2. It should have instructions attached
    3. The hotel staff should be more aware of it (periodic reminders from Tesla?)

Hope this is useful.

Eugene

Attached Files:

14. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

So, now that the Moat House HPC has been replaced with a working 70A one, that completes the M6 corridor and England and Scotland. We could still use one near Newport, Wales though.

For the uninitiated, this new Moat House HPC is located immediately to the left of the entrance, behind a hedge. Drive in, take the first left and look to your left where it is in the corner of the car park.

15. Alexandersims

Alexandersims Member

#95 Alexandersims, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
    Moderator's Note: Moved from Roadster J1772 adapter thread.

That's excellent, thank you David.

I live 15 mins from Newport and the Celtic Manor would be an ideal location to open up access to South Wales.
    No doubt you guys have tried but next time I pass I'll stop by and raise the issue with the on duty manager.

Road trips will no doubt be planned over the winter when I have time!

Thanks for all the help David and Kevin, it's so nice to hear your suggestions!

16. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

You can sweeten the conversation by offering them free charging stations... if they are interested we can then include a Tesla HPC in the deployment (assuming Tesla are still open to this).

17. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

About 18 months ago I made an initial approach to the Sales and Marketing Director, Gareth Rees Jones but he is a hard man to get on the phone. I did speak with Vanessa Russell in marketing there who said that they need to check the situation regarding Saab's sponsorship of the golf - which could have caused contractual issues with another car brand - and was due to get back to me. I haven't chased it since though.

Given what has happened with Saab in the meantime they would probably be quite happy to have EV chargers on site!

18. Alexandersims

Alexandersims Member

Certainly Kevin, I'm sure that'll sound far better to them if they are interested.

David - ok, I'll check with them and let them know that a charging post wouldn't restrict them to being affiliated with one brand, just open more business up to an emerging market...

19. norty

norty Member

hi Kevin, where do I find a list of Tesla's HPC stations in the UK please?

20. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

We keep the most uptodate list (with status) in the OpenChargeMap database (use the 'Connection Types' drop down to search for 'Tesla Connector').

We also keep details of the accommodation at each location on Zero:Net including (soon) special EV driver discounts :smile: