Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Long Range Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news... We now have another HPC online at QHotels Ashford International Hotel in Kent, next to Junction 9 on the M20.

This is close to the Channel Tunnel terminal and ferry ports and gives access between the UK and France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

It is now possible to get from the UK to the Eindhoven store if you take the Ramsgate-Oostende ferry (158 road miles). From there it is possible to reach Germany, the Dutch and German auto-train terminals and the Nürburgring. It is also possible to reach Widodh's place via the Channel Tunnel so there is no excuse not to come for a road trip, guys :biggrin:

This also completes a line of chargers all the way from Dover in the South to the North of Scotland.

AshfordHPC.JPG

Get Fully Charged at Ashford International Hotel - MyAshford.com

congratulations for this usefull network!

Tesla and Tesla-owners are lucky with this network!
Traveling across the Uk is now just a principle of wanting to do, instead of being able to do!

I wonder how long it would take to drive from Dublin to the Nurburgring (or Berlin) with this network and the German one!
Would be an epic roadtrip, but now not so epic anymore as before!

Yes we really would like to encourage owners in France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, etc to come and visit. There are plenty of great hotels with HPCs and 32A charging online now.

We could use that Antwerp public HPC as well. Perhaps you can help with the approach to the hotels?

That is no problem at all!
I speak Dutch (Flemish), French and as you can assume English! :biggrin:

My problem is that I am an "EV"-user of this kind : :wink:
Cartoon%20Of%20Larry.jpg

So I have a range-problem! No range-anxiety dough! :biggrin:
So if I must go visit the hotel (20km from my home) I must pull some strings to drive me there, or hope for a (rare) really sunny day! :biggrin:
But nothing that's impossible! ;-)

Here are some pictures of the Moat House HPC experience. I'd called them in advance and been assured the charger was working, but when we first rocked up all we saw was the very clearly marked and RESERVED two bays for ZCW chargers. No sign of the HPC charger point. We presented ourselves before the very attractive receptionist, who looked a bit blank about the number and type of chargers available. She did, however, find an email but that just referred to the ZCW chargers. Fortunately, just as I was starting to think our holiday was in jeopardy and we'd need to book a room for an overnight charge, she called someone. This unseen worthy knew all about the Tesla HPC charger and was able to direct is to a corner of the car-park.

The only problem then was that an Audi was parked there, almost blocking it. Fortunately (again) I was able to creep in alongside by using the grass. To be fair to the Audi, the charge area is unmarked and she (saw her later) was in a perfectly good parking slot. There are no instructions on the charger, but I flicked on the two RCD switches, plugged in and pressed START and everything started whirring happily. I checked to see 70A on the display and then Jana (my wife) and I adjourned for an excellent lunch in the bar.

Here are the piccies:

View attachment 10116

Tesla squeezes in for a charge

View attachment 10117

Up and suckling 70A

View attachment 10118

So, in summary, all went well, but my recommendations for improvements would be:

1. The Tesla HPC charger station should be clearly marked to prevent it being blocked
2. It should have instructions attached
3. The hotel staff should be more aware of it (periodic reminders from Tesla?)

Hope this is useful.

Eugene

Attachments

• 20120917.124326.jpg
    20120917.124326.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20120917.124337.jpg
    20120917.124337.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 20120917.141204.jpg
    20120917.141204.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 159
So, now that the Moat House HPC has been replaced with a working 70A one, that completes the M6 corridor and England and Scotland. We could still use one near Newport, Wales though.

For the uninitiated, this new Moat House HPC is located immediately to the left of the entrance, behind a hedge. Drive in, take the first left and look to your left where it is in the corner of the car park.

Moderator's Note: Moved from Roadster J1772 adapter thread.

That's excellent, thank you David.

I live 15 mins from Newport and the Celtic Manor would be an ideal location to open up access to South Wales.
No doubt you guys have tried but next time I pass I'll stop by and raise the issue with the on duty manager.

Road trips will no doubt be planned over the winter when I have time!

Thanks for all the help David and Kevin, it's so nice to hear your suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I live 15 mins from Newport and the Celtic Manor would be an ideal location to open up access to South Wales.
No doubt you guys have tried but next time I pass I'll stop by and raise the issue with the on duty manager.
You can sweeten the conversation by offering them free charging stations... if they are interested we can then include a Tesla HPC in the deployment (assuming Tesla are still open to this).

About 18 months ago I made an initial approach to the Sales and Marketing Director, Gareth Rees Jones but he is a hard man to get on the phone. I did speak with Vanessa Russell in marketing there who said that they need to check the situation regarding Saab's sponsorship of the golf - which could have caused contractual issues with another car brand - and was due to get back to me. I haven't chased it since though.

Given what has happened with Saab in the meantime they would probably be quite happy to have EV chargers on site!