Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope so. I do understand from the companies point of view that RHD markets arenā€™t viable for them right now, but I do think if they built them somewhere in Europe or china on a permanent line that they would sell more, perhaps as they scale and build more factories they will offer them in RHD again.

This also doesnā€™t bode well for cybertruck in the UK either.

I now have a dilemma, the Y isnā€™t big enough and I canā€™t see any decent X alternatives on the market right now.
Merc EQB? Kia EV9 when itā€™s available, etc. Some options, but none with the benefit of Teslaā€™s network.

Cybertruck would never be legal here (or in Europe), it would never pass EuroNCAP testing. Youā€™d drive straight through pedestrians, etc.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I hope so. I do understand from the companies point of view that RHD markets arenā€™t viable for them right now, but I do think if they built them somewhere in Europe or china on a permanent line that they would sell more, perhaps as they scale and build more factories they will offer them in RHD again.

This also doesnā€™t bode well for cybertruck in the UK either.

I now have a dilemma, the Y isnā€™t big enough and I canā€™t see any decent X alternatives on the market right now.
Cybertruck would be illegal in the U.K.

Reactions: Durzel
never driven a left hand drive car in the U.K. canā€™t imagine itā€™s a great experience. Anyone have much experience? The email doesnā€™t even say they will honour the order price. 3 years of free supercharging isnā€™t a great incentive to be honest. A6 etron or Eletre look like decent options.

Absolutely gutted in my mind I had already driven all over the place in it šŸ˜‚ can stop watching all those plaid you tube videos now šŸ‘€ itā€™s difficult to find an alternative as for me it ticked so many boxes, 6/7 seater with performance and practicality I canā€™t see anything new that comes close. Also I have one of those lovely 22 plate model Ys with the dream ride and suspension setup šŸ˜ that I was hoping to trade in I guess now il be in it a bit longer. LHD does see to much of a hassle.

never driven a left hand drive car in the U.K. canā€™t imagine itā€™s a great experience. Anyone have much experience? The email doesnā€™t even say they will honour the order price. 3 years of free supercharging isnā€™t a great incentive to be honest. A6 etron or Eletre look like decent options.
You wouldn't be able to reach toll booths, ticket barriers, drive throughs. It'd be super annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: T$LA and Durzel
Gutted but expected.

Highly probable Iā€™ll go for the Taycan though there is a facelift coming soon so Iā€™ll wait.

LHD isnā€™t worth what they are asking. Overtaking is a pain. Besides, the price is higher than my invoice price.

Correct me if I'm wrong (that's how forums work, right...), in that the old S + X were part built in the US but then shipped to the Netherlands to be finished.

Could that be the issue here? Switching to RHD wouldn't work in Fremont and Netherlands was shut down. Berlin hasn't come online quick enough to do the finishing work required so rather than keep people's money indefinitely they're making a call now and later down the line when they can build them they might?

Reactions: T$LA and 15Peter20
Absolutely gutted in my mind I had already driven all over the place in it šŸ˜‚ can stop watching all those plaid you tube videos now šŸ‘€ itā€™s difficult to find an alternative as for me it ticked so many boxes, 6/7 seater with performance and practicality I canā€™t see anything new that comes close. Also I have one of those lovely 22 plate model Ys with the dream ride and suspension setup šŸ˜ that I was hoping to trade in I guess now il be in it a bit longer. LHD does see to much of a hassle.
Exactly my situation, except for being on the S side.

Last edited:
never driven a left hand drive car in the U.K. canā€™t imagine itā€™s a great experience

I have friends who have (long term) LHD cars in UK who says it's fine - "you get used to it" type of thing.

You wouldn't be able to reach toll booths, ticket barriers, drive throughs. It'd be super annoying.

Can't remember the last time I had to do that ... car parks I've used recently all have ANPR cameras. I'd be better off when I drive on Continent ... that's the only time I can remember a toll booth, but yeah I'm sure I'll have to get out and walk round on occasion.

Overtaking is a pain

I wonder (not tried it but ...). Hang back far enough to have a clear view ... its not as though starting an overtaking manoeuvre from "well back" would be much of a hinderance!

Or I keep the Raven Performance and trade up in my dedicated performance car corridor....

Plus that will allow you to trade in Raven for PLAID when it does come in RHD clothes.