Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't see anyone else posting this so I thought I would. It arrived in my email this morning because of my Model S reservation.

Hi,

Right-hand drive Model S will not be available in the U.K. for the forseeable future. You can choose to receive credit for Model 3 or Model Y, purchase Model S as a left-hand drive vehicle or just cancel your reservation.

Credit for Model 3 or Model Y
If you convert your reservation to a Model 3 or Model Y, you can receive £2,000 credit* as a thank you for your support.

Left-Hand Drive Model S
If you want to take delivery of a left-hand drive Model S and benefit from 3 years of free, unlimited Supercharging**, explore our inventory of immediately available vehicles.

Full Refund
If you prefer to cancel your reservation, you do not need to take any action. We will automatically cancel your current reservation on June 5th and refund your reservation fee in full.

To discuss your options further, request a call back from a Tesla Advisor or join one of our dedicated online seminars.

Based on stories I'm seeing this is not UK specific - same stories for Australia as well. Looking at the Tesla GB website, inventory of LHD cars available for delivery shortly.... but would you want a LHD car?
Personally no, I don't do any continental miles and like being able to see to overtake. Guess I'm back looking at the Mercs or keeping my 2017 S till the wheels fall off

On the flip side it may raise the values of existing S's and X's. I have a Sept 2020 Raven and it has slumped in value recently, not that I am looking to move it on at the moment but it is something I keep an eye on.
My PCP comes to an end in June and was toying with part-ex for a year and then getting a new X, but now I'm thinking to hold onto my early Raven with free-supercharging. To extend the warranty or not-extend the warranty, that is the real question?! o_O

Reactions: ringi
Yeah I think it deserves it's own thread because it's a biggie to me.

What does it mean for us UK drivers? Will it discourage other US EV companies from making RHD too?

To be honest I'm disappointed because I'd love a Rivian. So I hope not.

What does it mean for Tesla? We are probably the country that they'll feel the biggest hit from this from. Australia and Thailand are taking on plenty of EV but they get decent chinese models, Africa isn't EV ready and Japan hates them.

So, I guess they no longer become viable over here. Shame, but if that's how it is that's how it is. I guess my next car will be Chinese, and I never thought I'd say that!

Was on the list for an S and and X (Plaid for both) and have been for about 2 years. This is incredibly disappointing.

Think we'll now get a Lucid Air or Taycan and then maybe an Eletre or Lucid Gravity (depending on when it launches).

I saw a Lucid Air in California a few months ago. It's gorgeous.

Looking at the inventory stock the price for one similar to what we ordered is £15k more than our order agreement. I don't think that 3 years supercharging would come close to making up for this (ignoring the inconvenience of LHD). I can't see LHD being desirable at resale. Looks like we'll be sticking with the "stopgap" harsh riding Y until other manufacturers/infrastructure catches up. It was always a lot of money, this makes that decision somewhat easier.

Reactions: H43lio and Tomnook
Now that my RHD Model X is a vintage collectible, I shall await the dead cat bounce on used prices 😅

In the meantime this is on order....

N4IgpgdgbglgTgewgW0gFxALlDAJlkAWQQFcI0BDGCEAGhDQAsTkAjAYQuQICEBlAPrskAMxgBzAQFEAHmgEAxROQEBmACwDUFAM4k4YVOR0gAvvQDGXMHApYc+TCH5DRE6XMXL5ACQmMvJHkNLTBdfUN0E3o0AE8ABzAsAG0QWQx6ABVmNggqABsQAF1zEAs3cXsQPAIpABkpTIAlKToQBHi0GCQTbDKKlJB8rlZcCgBaKzhJivGKCy6oMDmbBHH4+YBrNuG2McmKafKIMXED-JhEuB0Z-IRp8QNIHZH9qZmTiVv78cewZ-ou1GE3ex1O4zAAEcSJc5vAXnsQYcPuCoTD4h80Ih8usbCJ7sgKBALMtNjAMkNXkijrM0bCwPkwAs4DALOM0AgAO6sQ4I4EHGmfM50jE2ZD4QFUgUor4i8aMBCocYXCDbSWI6Vg2XQ2HxXD5Cx8t7IrXCuQ2bpHQ6sJDjMSsGzrLYUcRgACMRupMrOIm8yoQ4jWsQZd0541YwwsaspGtBs2YrHGyAQuAZ4wAkjoKPNxgAmXPjVQQkiezWzahoC0-KY2iB2mAO6YQBBMaiVdX8uNC8YVqvTC7iRhdCDtmOdk3l8h99mMSJJl0QMBdSulrvg4a4eWciYbKOrifdwmVlkUHHQ0-k2LjPLxDb7wXgxJjHE6GD5JZwe-e8YGZG7DGcvcm6EnAmw3BGWxfqaP5hNM8QslA8xXuIww6NEY7Gg+XxZiIS5Xg6+RoOGkabOMOhYpcSQdph346GEaA3GISxkZQEBjHAm5gCW1FetBr75Di8TDJW4wNAAIlBszkf8cCcrOabsaRjIUEwjqBvkEoYbxsxdAYLFEuxmmED4AAKAhNAIJkAILsAA0m0xlmQAqrZAiEFZTS2Y0xSmKURIwEe3QQL0yQlEAA

N4IgpgdgbglgTgewgW0gFxALlDAJlkAWQQFcI0BDGCEAGhDQAsTkAjAYQuQICEBlAPrskAMxgBzAQFEAHmgEAxROQEBmACwDUFAM4k4YVOR0gAvvQDGXMHApYc+TCH5DRE6XIEAJCYwEAlMAo4NU1tPQMjNBN6NABPAAcwLABtEFkMegAVZjYIKgAbEABdcxALN3F7EDwCKQAZKSz-KToQBAS0GCQTbHLK1JACrlZcCgBaKzhJyvGKCy6oMDmbBHGE+YBrNuG2McngmYgxcQOCmCS4HRmChGnxA0gdkf2po5Obu-GHsCf6XdGEzeFWOEnGYAAjiQLnN4M89kDDiCPpDoQkjmhEAV1jYRHdkBQIBZlpsYJkhi9EdNkWDUTCwAUwAs4DALOM0AgAO6sYLwwEHamzOnomzIfD-SkC960qEwxgIVDjc4QbYShFSmmnYXrXAFCx815IoVyGzdanBVhIcZiVg2dZbCjiMAARgNVOlpxEyjQSoQ4jWcQZt0541Ywwsqop6uBs2YrHGyAQuAZ4wAkjoKPNxgAmbPjVTgkhujWzahoU1fKaWiDWmC26YQBBMahVNX8mOg05livTc7iRhdCCtqPto2d8bdllfJiGZYE8QQMBdcvFjsfYa4caMTkTDYR1djj4E8ssijYqFnslxcb5BIbA+C8dJMbYnQwApLOAPj3jAyHXbopydybgScCbNcYZbN+mq-kE0wJCyUDzNe4jDDoMQjoaj4fBmIhLtetoFD6kERuMOiYhcyRtlhP46EE0S1ksZGUBAYxwJuYBFtR7owW+BTYgkwzluMjQACLQbM5G-HAnKML82JsZsSr0XJ9wIAU4qYTxsxdAYzGEmxmmEF4AAKAQCCZACC7AANJtMZZkAKo2QIhCWf4NlNCUphlISMDHt0EC9CkpRAA

Looking at the inventory stock the price for one similar to what we ordered is £15k more than our order agreement. I don't think that 3 years supercharging would come close to making up for this (ignoring the inconvenience of LHD). I can't see LHD being desirable at resale. Looks like we'll be sticking with the "stopgap" harsh riding Y until other manufacturers/infrastructure catches up. It was always a lot of money, this makes that decision somewhat easier.
My big worry would be how inconsistent Tesla is.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if UK (Europe?) prices for new S/X get cleaved when demand doesn't meet supply. Or if in 1-2 years Tesla does a 180 and says they can do RHD after all. Anyone remember this?

This is one of my biggest issues with buying any new Tesla now - it's a huge gamble when it comes to current price and future residuals. They operate their business like a market stall.

Was on the list for an S and and X (Plaid for both) and have been for about 2 years. This is incredibly disappointing.

Think we'll now get a Lucid Air or Taycan and then maybe an Eletre or Lucid Gravity (depending on when it launches).

I saw a Lucid Air in California a few months ago. It's gorgeous.
Plenty of Lucid stock (and discounts) in the US by all accounts. Not selling well. So personally I’d be dubious as to their long term health. As to RHD versions of those….