Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I am aware of the BMW system, I’ve had it on a previous car. It still doesn’t change my comment around if Lotus will be better or not than Autopilot. If it’s better than BMW also then that’s a great first attempt but point is they’ve not ever done this before so they don’t have years of experience behind them.

It seems fair to compare to Tesla here seeing as it’s a Tesla forum ;)

Yes I am aware of the BMW system, I’ve had it on a previous car. It still doesn’t change my comment around if Lotus will be better or not than Autopilot. If it’s better than BMW also then that’s a great first attempt but point is they’ve not ever done this before so they don’t have years of experience behind them.

It seems fair to compare to Tesla here seeing as it’s a Tesla forum ;)
they buy the "autopilot" as off-the shelf system from Nvidia/Mobileye

they buy the "autopilot" as off-the shelf system from Nvidia/Mobileye
From what I’ve read it’s Nvidia but they are training it, not sure if they get the training data all ready to go. They mentioned they’d train with cars, I assume also with other Geely ones like Volvo else they won’t have much data to go on.

Wonder if it’s why the rear Lidar is fixed and doesn’t pop down like it did on the prototype. Can always be mapping data from behind as you drive past.

Came across this when charging on the Swiss/French boarder today. Porsche gets some stick for ‘evolving’ the 911 design, but Tesla are just lazy…..Unless someone told you what to look for, I suspect most people cannot tell these two cars were built some 6-7 years apart, and one has done nearly 70K mile versus I suspect barely 1K in the other.

The interior did look very nice, but honestly, even if Tesla did a new RHD X, you need your head checking to pay £60-70K+ to swap from a old S/X into a new one.

View attachment 956520
I disagree. I think this shows two things
1: teslas design age very well indeed and the s and x still look very good
2: this means people's cars aren't out of date Immediately unlike something like an audi who seem to change their headlights year on year for the sake of fashion.

That said..model 3 is due a face-lift with any month now.

Regardless of our different thoughts on looks there is no denying the ability of these cars to tour massive distances as easily as any combustion car.

1000 miles, 7 International boarders crossed, throw in a couple of Alpine passes, all in a 6 year old, small battery X with near 70k miles of degradation.

Simply amazing family cars that do pretty much everything you ask of them. I can understand the business logic for not making any new RHD versions but it's a real shame these cars aren't going to be sold in any significant numbers again.

The S/X are fundamentally fantastic family wagons........Despite my reservations on lazy design, if ours did die.....I may actually seriously consider a LHD one for the UK, and just really look fowards to the annual European touring holiday :).

53052570617_99376c6116_c_d.jpg

53052458567_b52e48c19b_c_d.jpg

53053037326_3da97cba43_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
I was at Tesla Park Royal today and saw a couple LHD X plaids that looked like they were ready for collection. I also had a go at the showroom model.

The screen is so good, and I love how much more customisable the UI is.

The yoke is bigger than I thought it would be, and it felt wrong. The stalkless design wasn’t confidence-inspiring. I wasn’t able to test drive it though so my experience ended there.

I don’t see how a driver being on the left would be an acceptable way of manoeuvring that beast of a car in the UK

....meanwhile they're on page 51 of this vibration issue on the refreshed cars with continuous half-shaft replacements than then need to be somehow warmed up. Maybe we dodged a bullet here

Reactions: gangzoom
There is just some sureal about how easy it is to tour around Europe with 6 people + luggage in a 6 year old X. I honestly don't think Tesla gets enough credit for just how well a job they did with the S/X considering there were their very first mass produced cars.

53061349496_ba1248cc61_c_d.jpg

53061894653_144cdf9d80_c_d.jpg

Reactions: bonkers
Thanks for the review and the above comment just makes their decision even more frustrating.
Tried the Model S LHD, found it uninspiring. Maybe coz I have M3P with a yoke already, and the MS was long range (and the Tesla dealer sitting next to me). Anyway, got my refund back last week for my preorder S and X. It’s really cheeky TEsla offering these LHD cars with sweetener of “year long free super charge”. There will be a massive depreciation cost to contend with!

Reactions: DJP31
Tried the Model S LHD

Presumably Long Range not Plaid?

MSLR and M3P are both 3.1s 0-60, so no difference there and based on my experience of owning M3 and MS I would expect M3P to be much more drivable, so I figure only reason for wanting MS would be cabin space, hatchback, and suspension. Bit more range on the MS too

M3P WLTP range = 340mi, MSLR = 394mi

Whereas the Plaid is 1.99s 0-60 which is a fair chunk quicker away from the lights ... WLTP = 373mi

Presumably Long Range not Plaid?

MSLR and M3P are both 3.1s 0-60, so no difference there and based on my experience of owning M3 and MS I would expect M3P to be much more drivable, so I figure only reason for wanting MS would be cabin space, hatchback, and suspension. Bit more range on the MS too

M3P WLTP range = 340mi, MSLR = 394mi

Whereas the Plaid is 1.99s 0-60 which is a fair chunk quicker away from the lights ... WLTP = 373mi
An even better deal is to go for Raven performance MS. Incredibly going for £60k on Autotrader. Accelerates the doors off an M3P - and quiet and comfortable with longer range on the motorway.

Last edited:
60k for a car that Tesla describe as "legacy"? Seems a bit of a rubbish deal
Find me an EV for less that:
- has a modern adaptable suspension for well-controlled and quiet drive
- runs nice connected tech
- has room for 5 adults and 800l of storage with a hatch
- will do 400 miles non-stop in the summer
-has “legacy” auto wipers that work consistently and independently of AP
-accelerates like it does.

Honestly, I wish it was even more legacy like my old 2014 MS with its Mobileye AP and opening sunroof…..

Last edited:
Find me an EV for less that:
- has a modern adaptable suspension for well-controlled and quiet drive
- runs nice connected tech
- has room for 5 adults and 800l of storage with a hatch
- will do 400 miles non-stop in the summer
-has “legacy” auto wipers that work consistently and independently of AP
-accelerates like it does.

Honestly, I wish it was even more legacy like my old 2014 MS with its Mobileye AP and opening sunroof…..

My car suffered front drive unit failure on Thursday - I might make a thread as the symptoms were weird and initially had the SC guys scratching their heads - and though it's under warranty the car will be off the road some weeks while the parts are shipped over.

I thought about going shopping for something that doesn't routinely break down but honestly, what for!? Genuine question.

The EQE and EQS are pitched as natural contenders but Marek's review below echoes my feelings. There is a Mercedes dealership right next door to the SC in Chelmsford just to remind you that legacy makers are STILL turning out weird compliance cars rather than genuine Tesla alternatives :)

How long for, though?
Indefinitely for the bits that count.

My car suffered front drive unit failure on Thursday - I might make a thread as the symptoms were weird and initially had the SC guys scratching their heads - and though it's under warranty the car will be off the road some weeks while the parts are shipped over.
Sorry to hear that. Would be interested to hear more. Which DU was it?

Not sure what to say really, 10 years ago we were luckily enough to tour around the Swiss alps and cover Stelvio and Co in my old 335i (which nearly dumped all its oil in a German hotel after an autobahn run). To be able to now repeat in an EV, whilst carrying 6 people + luggage….

53066593574_64a23728c4_k_d.jpg

53065811937_1fa6c9c2e4_4k_d.jpg

53065607372_3a932c456e_c_d.jpg

53066583255_ddc4912d8a_c_d.jpg

53065604452_262af92429_c_d.jpg

ICING sadly is still an issue everywhere ;)

53066195906_f2a04369c4_c_d.jpg