Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is buying a LHD Refresh M S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect any prospective buyers will have second thoughts once the new M3P is announced.

Not exactly the same class of product, but if the performance is in roughly the same ball park then they may indeed shed the remaining stock at 60K!
Apart from the “ludicrous” nomenclature are there indications the new M3P will sustain acceleration at higher speeds? This is what separates the Palladiums from the rest of the range in terms of performance. I enjoy the short bursts of my Ludicrous plus car, but it’s bit like urological PE - all over too soon.

If so, it could be a compelling sports saloon, but without the interior room (or relative comfort) to replace my MS.

Last edited:
Reactions: debrooker
Apart from the “ludicrous” nomenclature are there indications the new M3P will sustain acceleration at higher speeds? This is what separates the Palladium’s the rest of the range in terms of performance. I enjoy the short bursts of my Ludicrous plus car, but it’s bit like urological PE - all over too soon.

If so, it could be a compelling sports saloon, but without the interior room (or relative comfort) to replace my MS.
The EU filling shows that it'll have a new 5D1 motor on the rear so unlike previous Model 3's won't be the same motor, just software unlocked. Suggestions here are that it'll be a carbon wrapped rotor which is what allows the Plaid to keep pulling at higher rpm speeds on the motor.

Obviously with the death of the Model S / X in RHD, the Model 3 Ludicrous is as close as we'll get in this country if you want RHD. The Highland does move the game on in terms of suspension comfort and cabin isolation. Is it an S? No it's not but it's closer than it was previously. Some advantages to that smaller, lighter car as it's much more nimble than a Model S.

Reactions: Durzel
The EU filling shows that it'll have a new 5D1 motor on the rear so unlike previous Model 3's won't be the same motor, just software unlocked. Suggestions here are that it'll be a carbon wrapped rotor which is what allows the Plaid to keep pulling at higher rpm speeds on the motor.

Obviously with the death of the Model S / X in RHD, the Model 3 Ludicrous is as close as we'll get in this country if you want RHD. The Highland does move the game on in terms of suspension comfort and cabin isolation. Is it an S? No it's not but it's closer than it was previously. Some advantages to that smaller, lighter car as it's much more nimble than a Model S.

Agreed.

It isn’t a hatch, doesn’t have air suspension customisations plus all the other bits, but in its favour it is lighter and more nimble, but for me personally it is shorter and therefore fits in the garage! Something I hadn’t properly considered when I ordered the Plaid.

We’ll soon see though from the odd video I’ve seen of the M3LR, the base vehicle seems strong and I look forward to seeing how far they’ve gone on the power/handling front.

I turned down a recent test drive of a new M3 and let the Tesla sales guy know I need something bigger but a RHD X isn’t available.

Hopefully he passed that on to Elon and a RHD X is now in the works ….. 😂

Hope the plan work, our 6.5 year old X spent the weekend ferrying the extended familiy for house hunting duties. Covered 180 miles of Leicestershire countryside with 6 people on board since Saturday morning.

It'll be a sad day when we have to part ways with ours, but hopefully not for a good while yet :).

Reactions: 12Pack
Agreed.

It isn’t a hatch, doesn’t have air suspension customisations plus all the other bits, but in its favour it is lighter and more nimble, but for me personally it is shorter and therefore fits in the garage! Something I hadn’t properly considered when I ordered the Plaid.

We’ll soon see though from the odd video I’ve seen of the M3LR, the base vehicle seems strong and I look forward to seeing how far they’ve gone on the power/handling front.
I've had a lot of large cars in length and also they get wider as the years go on also. It can be a pain having to park the things in our bays, maybe cannot venture into some multi-story carparks and so on.

The Model 3 is about the perfect size for the UK, big enough to get our 6 foot boys in the back along with tons of boot space yet fits into parking spaces nicely.

Model 3 doesn’t cut it for me unfortunately - too cramped for a road trip with luggage and dog. Even the daughter’s Mini is more practical for getting large items into the rear, not to mention the S. Still to find anything close the S for the space without going to a crossover. Never really had any issues with parking. The MS is hardly the largest car around. I think my 2020 will do me fine for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Model 3 doesn’t cut it for me unfortunately - too cramped for a road trip with luggage and dog. Even the daughter’s Mini is more practical for getting large items into the rear, not to mention the S. Still to find anything close the S for the space without going to a crossover. Never really had any issues with parking. The MS is hardly the largest car around. I think my 2020 will do me fine for a long time.
Yeah it's not for everyone but as long as the opening in the boot isn't an issue you can fit a lot in there, it's rather large. Of course some need more but I think most could cope just fine.

Yeah it's not for everyone but as long as the opening in the boot isn't an issue you can fit a lot in there, it's rather large. Of course some need more but I think most could cope just fine.
Well after 9 years of Model S’s I have my first “serious” issue while away from home - a high voltage fault having the car go into low acceleration/no regen mode. Tesla emergency assist were excellent -setting me up with a safety drop in appointment at the local SC and drove 160 miles home in a 2020 M3P. While the M3 tech is certainly nice, most notably blind spot display and one touch lane change on EAP, I came home exhausted. The car is extremely loud even at 30 mph compared to the Raven S, unsettled at motorway speeds, has strangely non-linear steering from centre. The highland can only be a step up.

Reactions: icemankaka
Well after 9 years of Model S’s I have my first “serious” issue while away from home - a high voltage fault having the car go into low acceleration/no regen mode. Tesla emergency assist were excellent -setting me up with a safety drop in appointment at the local SC and drove 160 miles home in a 2020 M3P. While the M3 tech is certainly nice, most notably blind spot display and one touch lane change on EAP, I came home exhausted. The car is extremely loud even at 30 mph compared to the Raven S, unsettled at motorway speeds, has strangely non-linear steering from centre. The highland can only be a step up.
I mean I've only had a 30 minute test drive of a Highland but we have a 2023 M3P and it seemed like a nice step up in comfort and noise isolation. The 2023 M3P has the comfort suspension and front double pained glass so that would be better than a 2020 in both those regards.

I know what you mean of course. When your buying a car that's up in the next major price bracket with things like air suspension it is a step up. I think though in the price bracket the Model 3 is in, it's a really good overall package. A lot of car for the money.

Reactions: 12Pack
I expect any prospective buyers will have second thoughts once the new M3P is announced.

Not exactly the same class of product,

Quite. I don't want a hot-hatch for long haul. But having a comfortable 5-seater cruiser, with acres of cargo space, that can see off a Lambo at the lights, is very satisfying.

While the M3 tech is certainly nice ... I came home exhausted

Yup, I have found the MS to be a significant reduction in driver wear-and-tear compared to the likes of M3 / MY

house hunting duties

I thought you were building one? 🤓

Reactions: icemankaka
I thought you were building one? 🤓

House hunting is for the other people in the car......a failure on the house hunting stage would result in us having more people than anticipated in the house we are renovating, not really an issue......but spending the holidays in the X with the extended family on road trips isn't quite the same as waking up early to get some work done, only find the inlaws already pottering around the kitchen. Might end up using the X as an escape room if things do go that way 😀.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Just to finish this story, after a couple of weeks’ wait, the replacement front drive unit came in. Its refurbished but had a -E on the part no. compared to the -D original. They did a 4-wheel alignment as well. 160 mile drive in the ‘20 M3P loaner to go pick it up. and then back home in the Raven.

Immediately noticed the much smoother and quieter ride, with no less body roll, in the Raven. And more stable auto wipers and EAP, not to mention the much smaller percentage range used. Had EAP set at 80 mph both ways with no real difference in the efficiency, though it was a few degrees warmer on the return trip.

I’m convinced the “more nimble” feel of the 3 is down to its significantly faster steering rack, and while the stiffer springs do control any float, they come at the cost of an unsettled high speed drive. Also the accelerator pedal on the M3P is non-linear with a significantly stronger response in the first 30% compared to the rest of the pedal travel. This how Aston fake the “sports” mode feel on my V12 Vantage. The car is no faster, just makes it feel like it is.

With 10k miles on the car and 4 years still to go on the Raven’s battery/DU warranty - it’s a keeper.

Last edited:
They’re still there, but only as new inventory. Pretty sure the custom order option went a while ago.

Edit to add.. I see they’re missing from the website but they’re on inventory sites.

Edit again.. they are there, I had to widen my search to all available
So maybe once the last few have gone, maybe they'll remove them off the UK site completely.

I had kind of hoped the next time they refresh these cars like a Highland / Juniper that RHD would come back. However I'm not even sure they'll even refresh these again or maybe just kill them off instead. Only maybe the Plaid brand and halo product is why they keep them around.