Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is buying a LHD Refresh M S/X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fun part is, on the LHD inventory page, you can only select Cash.
Tesla is not offering financing for these models, as I suspect even themselves don’t want to gamble on the Future Value residuals of these LHD UK models in 3/4 years time….
Interesting, that's changed as when they first announced they had PCP and Lease as an option. Could get a Model S Plaid for around £1.3k a month on a personal lease over 4 years roughly I seem to remember.

You know this means they probably stuck that on the site before realising none of the finance companies will take them on so had to remove it. Only sensible option if you did want to get one was to not own it and make it someone else's problem. Now finance has gone, the risk is all on you of you buy it.

Sales were going to suck before, either finance it's probably pretty much dead in this market other than as you say the odd influencer.

So 20-odd replies but no confirmed purchases?

Not that I’m surprised, mind you.

I’ve been tempted myself but I keep reminding myself .. “no, it’s LHD, LHD, LHD!” .. “think about the insurance costs, parts availability!”.

As a side, I see that the Plaid’s are out of stock. They went from 5 in stock to none in 24 hours. I very much doubt they were sold in one go.

Fun part is, on the LHD inventory page, you can only select Cash.
Tesla is not offering financing for these models, as I suspect even themselves don’t want to gamble on the Future Value residuals of these LHD UK models in 3/4 years time….
Yeah they reportedly told preorder customers on the seminars that it was "cash or sort your own finance". Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?

This is a situation where Tesla's fluid pricing and flip-flopping on direction actually hurts it in a measurable way. Why would anyone with any sense drop £100k+ on a LHD Model S here when - even allowing for the forseeable depreciation and difficulty with insurance, finance, etc - you have no idea at all if Tesla might just knock tens of thousands off the price on a whim, or release a RHD version in 12-18+ months and just obliterate residuals on the cars they've already sold?

Yeah they reportedly told preorder customers on the seminars that it was "cash or sort your own finance". Doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?

This is a situation where Tesla's fluid pricing and flip-flopping on direction actually hurts it in a measurable way. Why would anyone with any sense drop £100k+ on a LHD Model S here when - even allowing for the forseeable depreciation and difficulty with insurance, finance, etc - you have no idea at all if Tesla might just knock tens of thousands off the price on a whim, or release a RHD version in 12-18+ months and just obliterate residuals on the cars they've already sold?
Exactly this. Its a huge reason I probably wont buy another Tesla for quite a while (I'll stick with my 2021 M3) because I can't trust them to either reduce price, take more features out etc. I have no confidence in the company at all. Only took two years of being a customer to realise how poorly run the company is and how it doesn't inspire any trust/confidence in their products.

Great cars, but in the end, if the current car does the job, I'll leave it at that and look at competitors.

Seeing finance back on their site actually so I guess that can remove the risk of them producing a RHD and you taking a financial bath. Of course it loses a massive amount of value in 4 years so you take a bath anyway but I’ve had a V12 BMW so I know all about that 😂

Wonder what the future of the S / X is overall considering the sales issues they are having. Seems like writing might be on the wall for them.

Had a second test drive. Unlike the first one which was on nice A-roads around the Sheffield SC, this one was at Stockport. Not much chance to really explore the acceleration above 60 mph, and noticed the suspension felt significantly harsher. And I thought I felt that vibration they’re talking about in the MS forum.

Anyway, with my ‘20 MS just turning over to 10K miles, with no issues, I’ll keep it. They resolved the rattle I’d gone in for and I changed the front tyres to Vredesteins (much quieter) so the car feels very solid and silent. I’d like some of (potential) new features like adaptive matrix headlights and live sentry - but not enough to deal with LHD.

I expect any prospective buyers will have second thoughts once the new M3P is announced.

Not exactly the same class of product, but if the performance is in roughly the same ball park then they may indeed shed the remaining stock at 60K!

I expect any prospective buyers will have second thoughts once the new M3P is announced.

Not exactly the same class of product, but if the performance is in roughly the same ball park then they may indeed shed the remaining stock at 60K!
LHD is just a none starter for most to be fair. What the model S had going for me was that it's still a hatch back and now had door bins (yes im that peculiar, more so than stalks!)

Even if the new mr3p plaid is megafast, it still won't tick most boxes for most that want a hatchback over here imho.