Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must be using a totally different setup to me, the satnav in ours have saved us been stuck in a massive traffic jam on the way into Itay. The guidance has been so clear its enabled us not make a SINGLE mistake so far in 2000km+ driving around all types of roads in pretty much every country we've visited.

The other infotainment has worked well enough to keep 6 people happy in the car. Bare in my our 'legacy' X was build in 2016, that's 7 years ago, and as far as I can tell is working as well (if now better) now than ever.

If you don't like Teslas approach, plenty of other brands are around, and no one is forcing you to buy a new S/X. But I really would seriously entertain a LHD X now....our X delivers the most important thing of all any car needs to so, and that is putting a smile on my face every time I get in it that despite owing if for so long. LHD or RHD seems of little consequence in comparison :).

53064304525_9a11657fc1_k_d.jpg
well, the very very first thibg which Tesla SatNav is missing is the "fly behind the car" view all other navigations have. Where you can see more of the road upfront. WHY?!

It works, it is reasonably good at SOME EXTENT and SOME functionality, but lacks other.

Perhaps only a small sample, but I note those who appreciate the Tesla integration of navigation and music are S/X owners including myself - and those who don't are restricted to the single screen 3/X.

We use Carplay in other cars and its really not as well integrated - its basically using your non-integrated phone and misses accurate updated consumption info, supercharging info and prep etc.. Sure, the Germans have that sorted as well, but they tend to add fancy graphics which don't really add functionality. All I miss is native speed-camera locations.

For gaming, theatre and novelty items, of course Tesla stands head and shoulders above - if one cares for these things.

In any case, if I now include the app and home charging set-up, our iPace and electric Mini (=BMW) are just leagues below. Best I could tell from my Taycan extended trial, so would the Porsche be.

For reference CarPlay can do proper integrated EV routing factoring in state of charge if a car supports it. Like anything though on CarPlay, it can take a long time from Apple adding something to it being available in cars.

CarPlay EV Routing

My Land Rover with Pivi Pro got an update a couple of days ago and now can show the CarPlay map in its drivers display and not just the central one. So can see where to go even if other display has music on say. It doesn’t do the HUD though which again CarPlay can also do.

Apple added functionality to allow this in iOS 13 in 2019, the lag in years can be huge with cars.

Another alternative for you 😉

Thanks for posting. Yes the new Mercedes RWD-only cars are starting to match the range of my "old" AWD MS Raven Ludicrous Plus (version H battery) if not the efficiency. Now what we need is the fun acceleration and dynamic driving experience. Maybe with the Eletre, but even then why buy a new car when the old one still works well.

Last edited:
With that kind of reasoning I'd still be driving my 56 plate Corsa 😂
Understand what you read before you type. If your Model 3 only just does what your Corsa did in some regards and not others - would you change over? Really? 🤣🥲

BTW, do those with cancelled S/X orders find it odd how those not actually affected post here? Lack of suitable employment or just schadenfreude, I wonder. Luckily there's that "ignore" button - in full use now.

Last edited:
Calm down guys, let's all be friendly.

12Pack has a perfectly valid point, the options to change his Model S for aren't exactly all that much better, in a lot of ways are worse than the car he's got now. Hence no real reason to change it. It's not the same as going from a Corsa to a Tesla, that's an obvious step up.

I've no sensible reason to change my current car, I enjoy it a lot and it works well. I just like cars and happy to invest some money into that to get to experience a few more different ones while I can. With the lack of a RHD Model S Plaid though, it does leave me wondering what with.

The Eletre is probably top at the moment. Even that is tricky as I'd fancy the R but the range drop is pretty large so wonder what it'll do in the real world and if it'll annoy me that I'd wish I just got the S. Model S Plaid was pretty much have your cake and eat it, even more so on the 19inch wheels as you could have the performance and also still not lose much range compared to a LR. Electre seems to be different, you want the performance you are giving up a lot of range.

Reactions: 12Pack
Bjorn wetting himself again. This time cruising at 120MPH (on German autobahn). In practice traffic got in his way, but he rarely fell below 90MPH. He was interested in battery temperature and consumption. Although he pressed on, after a slow car pulled over, he was trying to only use 50% throttle

He did a similar test in his original M3P (and, from memory, in his MX) and makes a comparison between them.

Its a 1 hour video - no edits I think, and he jabbers to the camera the whole time ... in his inimitable style. Results start 54 minutes in:

Summary: battery temperature was not an issue (i.e. for a steady 120 MPH cruise, rather than track-style repeatedly flooring it)

Charged at Tesla supercharger (dunno if it would charge faster on V4 / Ionity et al) ramped up to 250kW

If my conversion maths is correct that was 660 wH/mile, 140 mile range

Reactions: EVMeister
Bjorn wetting himself again. This time cruising at 120MPH (on German autobahn). In practice traffic got in his way, but he rarely fell below 90MPH. He was interested in battery temperature and consumption. Although he pressed on, after a slow car pulled over, he was trying to only use 50% throttle

He did a similar test in his original M3P (and, from memory, in his MX) and makes a comparison between them.

Its a 1 hour video - no edits I think, and he jabbers to the camera the whole time ... in his inimitable style. Results start 54 minutes in:

Summary: battery temperature was not an issue (i.e. for a steady 120 MPH cruise, rather than track-style repeatedly flooring it)

Charged at Tesla supercharger (dunno if it would charge faster on V4 / Ionity et al) ramped up to 250kW

If my conversion maths is correct that was 660 wH/mile, 140 mile range
140 miles doesn't seem too bad, I suspect running an ICE at those kind of speeds is going to drink fuel pretty quickly also.