Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

UK Rapid Charging Network 99% reliability law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is a good idea. Listening to Fully Charged then reliability has been a nasty problem, but much better for the major networks in recent times.

I wonder how much it is a combination of the two - reliability of equipment and repairs has improved now to the point where you can enact the legislation to clean out the laggards in the market and set a standard for the future.

If a year is 525,600 minutes, 99% means allowable downtime of 88 hours per year. It’s an interesting thought experiment.

But my focus would be on how charging operators would game the regulations, which would be inevitable. Would they add 9 destination chargers alongside every rapid charger so downtime per-stall is 10% what it could have been? Would those 9 destination chargers be signposted? Or would they even be in valid parking spaces (the ones at Jax Warrawong never were). And would those destination chargers run at 22kW or 2.4kW or something in-between?

Reactions: RNHurt