Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Supercharger pricing change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen in the car looks a mixed bag.

Presume as leases/licenses are up for renewal landlords are now seeking revenue not just more footfall. Wonder if Ionity offer silly money or if just having more competition for spaces has put rates up.

Quick comparison, some have also gone down

ghujknbhvguh.png

Re: price increases. If I remember from way back Tesla tried to bump up the prices last year, but relented some after protests ( Tesla cuts Supercharger prices back down after customer backlash over increase - Electrek ). They do need to be a bit careful with the increases as if it's too close to public charging costs (or a public charger is closer or in a better location) then people will use them instead, thus eroding the supercharger advantage and putting pressure on the public network as well as reducing footfall at SC locations.

Re: price increases. If I remember from way back Tesla tried to bump up the prices last year, but relented some after protests ( Tesla cuts Supercharger prices back down after customer backlash over increase - Electrek ). They do need to be a bit careful with the increases as if it's too close to public charging costs (or a public charger is closer or in a better location) then people will use them instead, thus eroding the supercharger advantage and putting pressure on the public network as well as reducing footfall at SC locations.
Meanwhile UK electric bills went up by 8.3% this year

New Quick comparison, some have also gone down

Thanks for the chart.

This seems to suggest pricing is being used to manage congestion - notoriously crowded Birchanger (Stansted Airport, 4-stall) being the top price; I was initially surprised to see Norton Park at the bottom, but of course the crowds from there are now catered for by the vastly larger Amesbury and few probably bother with the diversion to Norton park any more.

Thanks for the chart.

This seems to suggest pricing is being used to manage congestion - notoriously crowded Birchanger (Stansted Airport, 4-stall) being the top price; I was initially surprised to see Norton Park at the bottom, but of course the crowds from there are now catered for by the vastly larger Amesbury and few probably bother with the diversion to Norton park any more.

Perhaps conjestion, or maybe those fat cows need milking?
There are lots more supercharger sites required now and in the future that need to be paid for and its got to come from somewhere so why not the users? All those pennies in the jar, help all of us in club Tesla eventually. We have to go somewhere to get somewhere.... your support is greatly appreciated and needed!

Norton park still remains surprisingly busy. I've been keeping a regular eye on use, from the Tesla map, as its my old local. I am guessing it's still serving local demand and those that have not had the CCS upgrade or maybe because it such a nice place to visit and walk around? They wont use Amesbury if they can't see it on the site map and Tesla are useless at communicating directly with their customers but I guess that's our job, to spread the word.

ghujknbhvguh.png

These prices compare favourably with the rates introduced by East Lothian council earlier this year, at £0.30p per kWh and an overstay fee after 45 mins for nearly all their public 50kW "Rapid" chargers and £0.16p for the 22kW ("Fast") and 7kW (also "Fast") ones (but no overstay fee). However the 3.6kW ("Standard") ones are still free - presumably because it would take about 10 years to get a charge :)
However, during my recent trip to Skye and the Northwest coast all of the Chargeplace Scotland sites I used were still free

If it was purely milking, we wouldn't be seeing some prices coming down.

I didn't suggest it was 'purely' milking, I was only adding to your speculation of "congestion" as a reason for the predominantly upward trajectory of the posted pricing table. The "perhaps" and "maybe" in my reply were the give away. I only wanted to introduce the notion of, one of the laws of microeconomics 'supply and demand'.
Your opinion is equally as valid as mine.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I have been hunting for price changes for SuperCharging, as since March it seems like a number of sites have increased their prices (across the board) to 30p+ pkwh, while still cheaper than BP Pulse (free membership @ 42p pkwh) I can't seem to find any info on historical prices or trends for the Tesla supercharger network... plus it seems that they dropped any publicly accessible charging cost info other than the in car sat nav?

There’s this brief one from @NorfolkMustard (Oct 20)

ghujknbhvguh.png

I recently noticed Tesla have changed the way SuC availability/usage are displayed on the car's display. Instead of showing a graphics of chargers in use on the map, you need to select the charger location to get a more detailed information. The information include the number of chargers in use and any possible waiting due to high usage.

I can't remember seeing tiered rates a few weeks back, but now noticed peak and off-peak rates for some London SuC sites where peak is twice the cost of off-peak. So price per kW now range from 20p to over 40p.