Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK vs US Infotainment window controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been posted about before, but I couldn't find it in the threads. Forgive me if this is an old discussion point but it bugs me...

When I was looking at screenshots of the US Infotainment system it struck me that the controls for closing a window (the X on the top left) was positioned in the same place on the window as the UK version. On left hand drive cars that means it is near the driver, which is the most sensible place for it. In the UK we need to reach across the screen to close the window to return to, say, the navigation screen.

It appears as though the position of the windows has changed for RHD cars but not the controls on those windows. Does anyone else think this is odd? An oversight or just not worth doing for RHD? If it was positioned on the left for safety reasons in the US does that not apply for us in the UK?

Has it been commented on before? Searching for "Tesla window close X" and similar gives me loads of information on how to operate the electric windows on a Model X lol

I've had the M3LR for 6 weeks and loving it (4,700 miles so far) ... but is it just me or do others think this is wrong?

When I was looking at screenshots of the US Infotainment system it struck me that the controls for closing a window (the X on the top left) was positioned in the same place on the window as the UK version. On left hand drive cars that means it is near the driver, which is the most sensible place for it. In the UK we need to reach across the screen to close the window to return to, say, the navigation screen.

On many screens you can just click outside the window to close it. No need to hit the close X in many situations.

Has it been commented on before? Searching for "Tesla window close X" and similar gives me loads of information on how to operate the electric windows on a Model X lol
It has indeed been commented on before... and it would be better the other way around for RHD cars. You can swipe some of them out of the way and you can press the car icon at the bottom right of the screen to close any of the main windows so you rarely have to use the X close. Voice works well for the Energy Graph "show energy graph" hide energy graph".

That's nothing, the emergency stop happens by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector, for the US that's nice and easy for a passenger to reach if the driver is having an emergency, in the UK good luck!

That's nothing, the emergency stop happens by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector, for the US that's nice and easy for a passenger to reach if the driver is having an emergency, in the UK good luck!

Yeah, that was ... surprising when I tried to wash the windscreen not long after getting my M3 and muscle memory made me press the wrong stalk because that's where it was on my old car.

Very glad I wasn't on the road and only travelling at parking speed. At least I've not done it again!

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
It has indeed been commented on before... and it would be better the other way around for RHD cars. You can swipe some of them out of the way and you can press the car icon at the bottom right of the screen to close any of the main windows so you rarely have to use the X close. Voice works well for the Energy Graph "show energy graph" hide energy graph".
Just say ‘energy’ and the graph will appear. Set vents to recirculate works too

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Yeah, that was ... surprising when I tried to wash the windscreen not long after getting my M3 and muscle memory made me press the wrong stalk because that's where it was on my old car.

Very glad I wasn't on the road and only travelling at parking speed. At least I've not done it again!

When you tap it at higher speed, it just tells you not to. I've not tried a long press at speed, and I don't ever plan to.