Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Would you buy another tesla

Would you buy another Tesla

• Yes

Votes: 213 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 13.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 21.9%
  • Absolutely no way due to the way tesla treat their customers

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Of course, Tesla are the best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 24 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it really necessary to buy a new car every 6 months?

Don’t you think that’s just a touch indulgent / wasteful / reckless to the environment even. Given we’re all supposed to be consuming less.

Your life though.
If the cars in question are EV's, then I see the cascading of vehicles into the secondhand market,( in normal pricing times ) as virtuous; it brings more EV's below the affordability limit which might only take a couple or three thousand pounds. Tesla pretty much sold out their inventory worldwide after dropping prices. Source: Ryan Shaw Tech, Youtube. In my ICE life I always bought nine to12 month old cars. The seller's early churn might, to some, seem indulgent, but it put me in an otherwise unaffordable seat. However, for obvious reasons, my MY was a new car purchase.

I wonder to what extent those who patronisingly question our environmental credentials would stand up to a rigorous audit of their consumption and purchasing choices.

If the cars in question are EV's, then I see the cascading of vehicles into the secondhand market,( in normal pricing times ) as virtuous; it brings more EV's below the affordability limit which might only take a couple or three thousand pounds. Tesla pretty much sold out their inventory worldwide after dropping prices. Source: Ryan Shaw Tech, Youtube. In my ICE life I always bought nine to12 month old cars. The seller's early churn might, to some, seem indulgent, but it put me in an otherwise unaffordable seat. However, for obvious reasons, my MY was a new car purchase.

I wonder to what extent those who patronisingly question our environmental credentials would stand up to a rigorous audit of their consumption and purchasing choices.
Might want to read his post again. He's only flipping them every 6 months because the second-hand values have been over-inflated. Now the bubble is burst by his own admission he'll probably buy an ICE car. He didn't particularly sound too enamoured of Teslas either. So much for virtue.

Reactions: Whyone
Might want to read his post again. He's only flipping them every 6 months because the second-hand values have been over-inflated. Now the bubble is burst by his own admission he'll probably buy an ICE car. He didn't particularly sound too enamoured of Teslas either. So much for virtue.
I was speaking of the principal of cascading EVs into the second hand market by early churning in "normal" market conditions, being virtuous in its effect.
Your objection seemed to be aimed at general principals of indulgence and consumption but not the motivation which, in this particular case, as you now cite, is a profit or a cost recouping opportunity.
So. self indulgence or profiteering?

Of course, as you now mention, his probable return ICE cars, all bets are of in this particular case - B'tard😃
However, the general principal of increasing the ownership of EVs by early churn is, if you think EVs are good for the planet - good for the planet.
I rest m'case.

Last edited:

You also miss the point. If he did not buy that EV - someone else would anyway. Tesla just produces cars and the produced car would be matched to another order anyway

Reactions: ringi
You also miss the point. If he did not buy that EV - someone else would anyway. Tesla just produces cars and the produced car would be matched to another order anyway
Ahhhh! 🙃 I am taking about existing EV owners buying another EV ( preferably a Tesla😉) in the short term, thereby releasing a secondhand EV at a more affordable price for a new entrant.
Markets are expanded by churn and when the churn is an EV it is a good thing.
You can argue about the anomalies that have affected the used car market but things will settle back to something with which we are more familiar.

Back on topic, what other EV could I buy today with 350+ mile range, classy looks, hugely convenient hatchback, adequate interior quality, nice ride, and easy on-the-go charging (and silly, unlimited acceleration) than a new 2023(?) Model S plaid. No - a Taycan, iPace (have one), Audi, MB don’t meet these criteria.

Back on topic, what other EV could I buy today with 350+ mile range, classy looks, hugely convenient hatchback, adequate interior quality, nice ride, and easy on-the-go charging (and silly, unlimited acceleration) than a new 2023(?) Model S plaid. No - a Taycan, iPace (have one), Audi, MB don’t meet these criteria.
2023 Model S Plaid! Way above my pay grade. Gorgeous though🙂.

iPace (have one),
I have heard so little about iPace, since first release, I'd be interested to hear how you have got on.

I read the iPace forum early on - I was pleased that there was a sporty competitor to Tesla way-back-then - I don't remember there being much of anything else.

I remember reading of charging woes - compatibility with 3rd party chargers (which might well have been the Charger Compatibility fault, given how few EVs brands there were, and how many of them were capable of charging "quickly").. Also loved their strapline of "Electrifying performance". Good looking car too - but I've never sat in one ... Hey Ho.

My perception is that iPace sat on its laurels, like Leaf, rather than coming out with a better-mousetrap, but I may be mistaken in that.

I have heard so little about iPace, since first release, I'd be interested to hear how you have got on.

I read the iPace forum early on - I was pleased that there was a sporty competitor to Tesla way-back-then - I don't remember there being much of anything else.

I remember reading of charging woes - compatibility with 3rd party chargers (which might well have been the Charger Compatibility fault, given how few EVs brands there were, and how many of them were capable of charging "quickly").. Also loved their strapline of "Electrifying performance". Good looking car too - but I've never sat in one ... Hey Ho.

My perception is that iPace sat on its laurels, like Leaf, rather than coming out with a better-mousetrap, but I may be mistaken in that.
You’re not wrong. We got it for my wife who uses it around town and has been 100% charged at home. It is a nice “car” with better finish than my (at the time) 2014 MS. But the Raven MS I now have is at least the same level of ride and interior quality, and goes further and faster (charging as well as driving). Also the Jag app interface is terrible and slow.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Valid points. I just ordered an Audi e-Tron GT as i need a range of 200 miles only however if i needed a range of 350 i would have stayed with Tesla

Maybe.

I only really like the Model 3. If in 2-3 years it looks almost identical inside and out then no. If there's more choice in colour or interior finishes or there's been a significant update then again - maybe.

It would depend on finance, if my car continues to depreciate at the current level then a) financially it wouldn't be sensible (big money to change / poor residuals) and b) I'll buy something else that won't s**t massive amounts of it's second hand in 3 months. I'll be looking at a 3/4 year old 911.

I'd like to see what the public infrastructure is like in 2/3 years, what the cost of 'filling' the car is (I have no access to home charging), there's no road tax benefit by then and I may go back to ICE.