Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra Hi-Fi Sound Question:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ultra Hi-Fi Sound Question: just got my 2016 TMS 90D that should have Ultra Hi-Fi Sound, but I thought I read there is a subwoofer in the trunk area, but in my car there is not one. Anyone with Ultra Hi-Fi Sound in their car, and has a subwoofer could you let me know, maybe post a pic or maybe I was wrong.... I tried to search the form for a picture or thread but could not find anything. Thanks!

There is an opening at each end of the lower trunk. The UMC is usually in the left opening. If there is a subwoofer it will be in the right opening. In other words there won't be a right opening.
Thanks for your response, I guess I was thinking there should be a speaker look to it. This picture means its there, now to find out why every time i turn on my radio I have to turn surround sound back on.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 249
Thanks for your response, I guess I was thinking there should be a speaker look to it. This picture means its there, now to find out why every time i turn on my radio I have to turn surround sound back on.
Can’t you hear the bass? :) No UHFS is very noticeable. Looks like you do have the sub based on your pic. Subs/low freqs are not directional so there’s no red for a traditional speaker/grille “look” as you say. Here’s a vid that many have used to upgrade the sub. Forward to around 12’50”.

I leave Dolby off so haven’t seen the issue you’re having. I should try turning it on and see if the setting doesn’t stick.

Reactions: OTARon
Just curious...if this was a standard setup/optioned car, is the factory harness wired to accept a post factory OEM unit...?
I would think so since they don’t want to have different wiring harnesses. However, I’m not sure if there’s an amp (or one powerful enough) to drive a sub so keep that in mind.
The connector for the sub is just a two-wire affair and you should see it wrapped to a bundle right by the passenger tail light. Attaching pic of the stock sub with the mating connector.

Attachments

• 51DA39CA-2ED7-417E-AB12-8C272E450E5D.jpeg
    51DA39CA-2ED7-417E-AB12-8C272E450E5D.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 184
I would think so since they don’t want to have different wiring harnesses. However, I’m not sure if there’s an amp (or one powerful enough) to drive a sub so keep that in mind.
The connector for the sub is just a two-wire affair and you should see it wrapped to a bundle right by the passenger tail light. Attaching pic of the stock sub with the mating connector.

Question: since a standard model should already have the harness. Could I buy the factory sub and plug it in and be set? Or does the factory amp need to be upgraded as well?

I would like to know this too. It almost seems to have a memory for every track, source, program played bc sometimes it is on now that I check each time. Assume it changed in 2018.50.6 and hoping it gets fixed soon but not in my last update.

Same for me. I have premium audio and the Dolby turns off ALL THE TIME.

I had a service loaner, 70D with metal roof and standard sound.

The standard sound was really night and day different from the UHFS. The bass was a lot less and the highs didn't seem as defined as UHFS.

On an unrelated note there is less wind noise with the metal roof versus the sunroof. If I didn't enjoy the view and the ability to open/vent I would have opted for that if it were available (but it's not).

• Informative
Reactions: David29