Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ultra white premium seats stain resistant coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@codex57 I'm planning to keep my X for 2 decades and to do annual update videos on my white seats.

If interested you can subscribe here:

Freedom101

I'm another X owner with UW seats. 1 year in, 20k miles, lots of road trips and a pomeranian that we allow all over the UW seats... and not a single spot anywhere on any of the leather that we haven't been able to wipe off with a damp cloth. I keep said cloth in the drivers door pocket and I get extreme pleasure every time I wipe off the pomeranian's foot prints with just one swipe of the damp cloth.

I believe this is a property of the pleather, and not a coating. I heard it was designed from the ground up with the intention of being unstainable.

one worry I do have, but have yet to see, is that the stitching might end up getting a little grimey eventually, as that is not the same fantastic material.

zero regrets with the decision to go UW, and I still love dismissing peoples comments about "but how do you keep them clean?!?" or "why did you choose a color so hard to keep clean?" - just bust out that damp rag and watch their jaws drop.

Your posts are super helpful for folks like me who are agonizing over whether to switch to UW (Model 3 non-P AWD order July). Now, almost a year later, how are the seats? Any regrets?

I’m up against a problem that I can only answer from folks like you. My husband doesn’t want white because he thinks it will wear badly over five years. So, he wants evidence to the contrary, which is hard to come by!

but color dye from a new, unwashed pair of jeans is a serious problem.

If I could be so bold...wash your new jeans before you wear them. By themselves or with like colors. It's just a good practice in general to avoid having that first load turn your significant other's pastel colored shirt a shade darker than it was.

Second, as a one year + owner of an Ultra white interior...a wipe with baby wipes or some isopropyl alcohol has always taken what little jean transfer I have seen away. They clean easily for me - jean stains included FWIW. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: mhan00 and OBX John
Now that these seats are out in the wild in model 3s, anyone have any horror stories? Seats seem as impervious to staining as advertised?

Also anyone noticed any annoying glare from the white dash instead of the wood?

Same material as the model S/X, so that's where you should be asking. My wife has had it for 2 years and I haven't noticed a mark. She never wears jeans though so there is that.

If you want the ultimate protection for your white seats when you take your Tesla in to get Opti-Coat Pro+ applied you should also get the interior coated with Opti-Guard Fabric & Leather. This gets you a 7 year warranty on the paint and a 5 year warranty on the interior leather and fabrics and will make wiping up blue jean dye transfer a breeze.

If left untreated blue jean dye transfer will require a redying of the seat. DO NOT USE A MAGIC ERASER ON LEATHER SEATS.

To clarify. Is the only difference between the black seats and white seats the color? It's my understanding that they are the same on the model S/X but on those models there is no price difference. Is the price difference on model 3 simply a matter of "because people will pay more" or are there some differences other than color that make it worth it?

If you want the ultimate protection for your white seats when you take your Tesla in to get Opti-Coat Pro+ applied you should also get the interior coated with Opti-Guard Fabric & Leather. This gets you a 7 year warranty on the paint and a 5 year warranty on the interior leather and fabrics and will make wiping up blue jean dye transfer a breeze.

If left untreated blue jean dye transfer will require a redying of the seat. DO NOT USE A MAGIC ERASER ON LEATHER SEATS.
Leather seats? I thought this thread was about the tesla UW seats?
Service rep told me magic eraser would remove any color transfer from jeans on tesla UW seats.

You can still use Opti-Guard Leather for those seats. And I repeat again. DO NOT USE MAGIC ERASER. Using a magic eraser is just taking 5k sanding paper to your seats.

I don't know if magic erase is good or bad, but it certainly does not feel like sandpaper? I have used them on all sorts of things, not sure if they will work on the tesla seat material or not, but I heard it does.

My concern is how will Opti-guard affect the feel of the white material?
It makes them ever so slightly slicker but thats it. Small price to pay for protecting 1000's of dollars worth of seats.

I don't know if magic erase is good or bad, but it certainly does not feel like sandpaper? I have used them on all sorts of things, not sure if they will work on the tesla seat material or not, but I heard it does.
The problem is that they DO work. Very well in fact. But its because they are an extremely abrasive material. If you would like to test the theory grab a very bright LED light and a bucket of water and then use the sponge on your paint. You will see that it makes the paint dull.

It makes them ever so slightly slicker but thats it. Small price to pay for protecting 1000's of dollars worth of seats.

The problem is that they DO work. Very well in fact. But its because they are an extremely abrasive material. If you would like to test the theory grab a very bright LED light and a bucket of water and then use the sponge on your paint. You will see that it makes the paint dull.
Please do not do this to your paint! Try it on a new unformatted CD or DVD (If you still have them ;) ) first...

I have never been a fan of white seats (or white cars, for that matter), but when I was at Tesla HQ test driving the P3D, the only car in the lot of 20 P3Ds (of every color) that stood out was the white one with white seats.

Just striking. So... fresh, clean and modern.

And like I said, I don't like white. But I saw that one and said, "Wow. That's cool looking."

My wife's not a fan of white, either. But I'm going to try and talk her into it. Like everyone else, she worries about stains.

Reactions: GaryC
To clarify. Is the only difference between the black seats and white seats the color?

I don't have any technical data, but when I test drove a P3D the other day the white seats felt a bit softer to the touch than the black ones in my 3. The bolsters also felt a little bigger, but that may just be the gen 2 seats. I have the original seats.

If you or your passengers wear denim, be wary of the white seats. I have seen two Teslas with blue and black dye stains from jeans. The white seats are impervious to ketchup, mustard, tea, and coffee, but color dye from a new, unwashed pair of jeans is a serious problem.

Daerik did a vid about him deliberately letting jeans stain his white seats for two months straight, and he cleaned them off easily with a variety of cleaning products. The seats you saw were probably still stained because the owners didn’t care or maybe even notice. Daerik says in the vid that he didn’t realize how badly stained the seats were until he did a comparison with the taped over portions of the seat after wiping the stains off (which is actually conveniently in the thumbnail picture).

The "Like Tesla" family has Ultra White in their Model X. This is after one year; they have two boys under four. Now granted they have a seat cover under the car seats but I think they hold up pretty well. If they were the discontinued perforated white, not so much.

Great to see. I have two young kids and I'm very worried lol. I always keep covers under car seats and I've made them step up their cleanliness game. I just couldn't do black leather, so hot.

I have the white interior in my model three. One morning my Hydroflask had a slow leak, dripping black coffee directly onto the seam in the middle of the driver's side rear seat. The coffee appears to have wicked out from the seam, under the surface. Now I have a faint brown oval, about 8"x12" in the center of the seat. I have not been able to remove it.
-Drew

I've asked a few times and people generally say the white is resistant to getting dirty. In reality, every time I visit a showroom (which gets more traffic to be fair), I feel that the white begins to look more porous with tinges of color (can be blue from jeans/regular dark spots).

I'm still conflicted about this but I am at least considering black seats now.

Mention it to the show room guys and they can clean it in front of you. I wiped a few spots on the white model x seats at the show room and decided it was a none issue. 10k so far with no issues. Wipe off tea and coffee stains weeks later not prob