TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ultra White Seats

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Maximilien, Jul 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hly

hly Member

@ahkahn thanks for the additional information on this material. The care instructions uses the name of "ultrafabrics" instead of "ultraleather" and I like this former name better. I think the latter name can be very misleading.

2. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Blue jean stain is one of the toughest (but not impossible) stains to remove. I have always used a dish soap/water mix to clean my interior materials. You'd be surprised how well that works. A quarter size drop of dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Mix it, then spray and wipe. You can even follow up with straight water, if you'd like. Material won't be harmed and it will come clean like new. Here is a link to Ultraleather's cleaning instructions straight from the manufacturer.

Beware of some of the "interior" cleaners... Armor All is known throughout the upholstery industry as horrible stuff. It will destroy any vinyl or leather it touches. You won't know it when you do it, but 6-12 months later it won't be a pretty sight.

I also use (on vinyl and leather, but not Ultraleather) Sprayway Vinyl/Leather Cleaner. It has mink oil in it, and will restore the finish to original finish (shiny, matte, or whatever it originally was). Great stuff. We also recommend Sprayway Glass Cleaner for the glass... and I was delighted to see a can of it in DS's desk when I took delivery of my Tesla. :)

Hope that helps!

• Informative x 1
  3. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

Ultrafabrics is the manufacturer's name, and Ultraleather is the product name. So, it's Ultraleather by Ultrafabrics. I agree, for the average consumer it can be misleading... What's really misleading is when an auto manufacturer sells you a "leather-appointed" interior or "leatherette"... Those are BS names. Only about 10% of it is genuine leather, and the rest is vinyl. You'd never know though... I could show you genuine leather you would swear is vinyl and vinyl you'd swear is genuine leather (like Ultraleather).

4. Ski_

Ski_ Enthusiast

@ahkahn this is great— Thank you! I just order a few samples to play with: duability and cleaning tests.

Assuming this is the actual product— here are the manufacturer’s cleaning instructions:
    https://intranet.ultrafabricsinc.com/img/pages/care_and_cleaning/CleaningInstructions.pdf

Of course, you may want to inquire with Tesla if the have different instructions. ;-)

(Edit: looks like this care link may have been linked above also. Regardless— thank you @ahkahn!)

5. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

You're welcome! Tesla did actually echo those cleaning instructions to me... before they knew my business.

6. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

Anyone recommend a sealer or spray on the material to aid in limiting dirt grime etc?

Or manuf cleaning instruction would say don’t?!

7. Warbird

Warbird Member

I love my white interior. Thanks for the link to the cleaning instructions. Good to know my go to cleaner, 70% alcohol, is recommended.

"For stubborn stains, wipe off with isopropyl alcohol as soon as possible"

8. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

They say nothing about it.
    I would not worry about adding a coating.

9. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

Attached...

Attached Files:

10. gulbranson

gulbranson Member

The white seats are really beautiful until you wear new black jeans on them....then not so much. This picture was taken after two hours of using about every known method to clean them. Soap/water, Alcohol, multiple leather cleaners, industrial fabric cleaner....nothing works. Be warned...no dark/black jeans on white seats!!! Needless to say, my wife will never wear black jeans again in our S!!! driver seat.jpg

11. MasterT

MasterT Member

I wear ONLY jeans. Always. My white seats are still perfectly white after 1 year. Buy better jeans. Or, wash the cheap ones before wearing.

12. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

I have also been wearing all sorts of jeans on my white seats with no problems. Medium wash, dark wash, black, tan. One pair resulted in a little bit of shading that came off in seconds with some 91% isopropyl. Otherwise there has been no issue whatever.