Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ultrasonic sensor - no obstruction message and I hit something

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello everyone
I have a 2022 modely performance and I had to drive 300 km to carry my vehicle in the -5c and left at 5 am! so warranty problem (compressor fault) knew the way I had to go to the super charger I put myself in position to park ;-) naturally my rear camera was covered by a snowflake;-) I activated my recoil and the system did not tell me that the sensors were obstructed and naturally I hit (at very low speed) the red stake grrrrrr;)
I am quite angry because the system has always warned me that the sensors are clogged when there is something blocking the ultrasonic sensor
I looked in the manual and it should say that.
but tesla comes back to me with the close (in another frame) which signals that we still have to clean it
did you have the same kind of problem? knowing that I did my update the day before in 2022.44.30.10
I seriously wonder why they don't want to admit that a bug has appeared in their system
or that the alert is deactivated in this version of firmware
but i never had this problem
I ask you all for your opinion! thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    427.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    387.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    657 KB · Views: 160
Je cherchais d'abord à voir si quelqu'un d'autre a le même problème que moi, c'est bien pour ça que j'ai donné ma version du logiciel ;-) et s'il n'y avait pas eu la petite phrase qui dit qu'il faut faire obstruction à le chauffeur dans le petit cadre alors j'aurais certainement dit comme toi ! d'autant plus qu'ils font tout pour qu'on ait le plus confiance en leur système mais ressortent directement avec une simple phrase même quand leur système n'a pas fonctionné comme le manuel l'indiquait mais ça c'est une autre discussion quand même

Je sais mais avoue que ce genre de problème n'est pas acceptable ;-( car musc nous demande de faire confiance à leur système mais par contre il se protège partout quand il se trompe ! c'est triste d'essayer de faire confiance actuellement

Unfortunately, this part of the forum is english based so we are not able to understand your last two posts. I mean, we could use google translate or something, but many times context gets lost. I would suggest re posting what you were trying to say in English, and reporting the other posts so a moderator can remove them.

oups sorry ! my tranlator is activeted ! sorry !!!!!

I know but admit that this kind of problem is not acceptable ;-( because musk asks us to trust their system but on the other hand he protects himself everywhere when he is wrong! its sad to try to trust currently

Unfortunately even if the car didn't sense the pole Tesla most likely won't pay for the damage. There is a Ford recall for this same issue. The cameras and sensors not working and people hitting stuff. Ford isn't covering the damage as far as I know. People still have mirrors.
My buddy's Ford Fusion had a dent right on his parking sensor, I gave him crap whenever I see it.

and some people see why Tesla wants to blend vision with USS for reasons just like this vision can see more than sensors can depending on the situation, question though did you go into backup and then play with the screen? i have noticed if i go into reverse and say change to spotify its like the sensors shut off and dont yell at me

USS have historically poor performance detecting round objects and objects wrapped in soft material (rubber, etc). Not a Tesla thing, a USS thing on all cars.

If Tesla can pull off vision based sensing using stereo optics this would be one of the areas that would vastly improve.

One wonders, however, in Tesla's solution, how would newly painted white round poles fair against a newly painted white wall, would it be sensitive enough to work with just the shadows? Matte Black? Curious ...

This is not a bug, this is driver error 100%.
Common sense prevails, but not in this case. Bug in the system or not, doesn't matter. What did you do, you just kept going and going ? No awareness of any kind while backing the vehicle in? No matter what, as a driver, you should always be aware of your surroundings.
These features are an aid and not to be relied 100% on.
If you have to drive an older car with no sensors or cameras, are you gonna crash into every wall ?
Imagine if you hit another car or building, insurance, deductibles, etc
So you pretty much backed into the spot blind, no sensors, no camera and definitely no visual ?

This is not a bug, this is driver error 100%.
Common sense prevails, but not in this case. Bug in the system or not, doesn't matter. What did you do, you just kept going and going ? No awareness of any kind while backing the vehicle in? No matter what, as a driver, you should always be aware of your surroundings.
These features are an aid and not to be relied 100% on.
If you have to drive an older car with no sensors or cameras, are you gonna crash into every wall ?
Imagine if you hit another car or building, insurance, deductibles, etc
So you pretty much backed into the spot blind, no sensors, no camera and definitely no visual ?
so if I understand you correctly, you never listen to your sensor? because he can always give you false information and you can never trust him? so excuse me but where is the help in there??? it becomes much more complicated ;) I didn't really trust its why I was really not driving fast ;-) but explain to me then what is the point of the line in the manual which says that if the sensors are defective or clog we get a message? he does not send lol

Reactions: zoomer0056
so if I understand you correctly, you never listen to your sensor? because he can always give you false information and you can never trust him? so excuse me but where is the help in there??? it becomes much more complicated ;) I didn't really trust its why I was really not driving fast ;-) but explain to me then what is the point of the line in the manual which says that if the sensors are defective or clog we get a message? he does not send lol
They are “driver assist” features …

USS have historically poor performance detecting round objects and objects wrapped in soft material (rubber, etc). Not a Tesla thing, a USS thing on all cars.

If Tesla can pull off vision based sensing using stereo optics this would be one of the areas that would vastly improve.

One wonders, however, in Tesla's solution, how would newly painted white round poles fair against a newly painted white wall, would it be sensitive enough to work with just the shadows? Matte Black? Curious ...
I thought this problem of roundness had been solved with the use of several sensors in stereo mode? I didn't know he was still using them in simple mode ;-) can you explain to me then why Tesla puts all the round pegs hahahah! anyway I know perfectly well that he will never pay and that he will never admit their fault but at least this little post will perhaps allow several of you to avoid this problem! and for information the latest version is not stable because I have already had to restart the computer 3 times with the 2 buttons on the steering wheel because my screen froze or the cameras did not appear ;-( I tell you the latest version has bugs! its maybe why he already deploys the 2023.02.10 lol

and thanks at all for your msg ;-)

Reactions: zoomer0056
hello everyone
I have a 2022 modely performance and I had to drive 300 km to carry my vehicle in the -5c and left at 5 am! so warranty problem (compressor fault) knew the way I had to go to the super charger I put myself in position to park ;-) naturally my rear camera was covered by a snowflake;-) I activated my recoil and the system did not tell me that the sensors were obstructed and naturally I hit (at very low speed) the red stake grrrrrr;)
From the user manual:
"Park Assist may not function correctly in these situations:
The object is thin (such as a sign post)."

This is a known limitation of USS, so this is expected behavior even with the sensor functioning perfectly as designed.

That's why it's just an assistive feature, you aren't supposed to use them while you are completely blind to what you are backing into.

USS are optimized for detecting large and relatively flat objects. For example when you are backing up or pulling up into a wall, it gives you a good indication of the distance. Or for example for judging distance to other cars during parallel parking. However don't rely on it to detect other smaller and narrow objects, that's what the back up camera is for.

Reactions: gregdeux
He Is correct. And yes if it’s a large Wall yes you will get a warning if they are obstructed. In your case it was a small round pole. No USS devise can see these unless they are Directly behind the sensor. Not designed for that. As the driver, if you can’t see out the back window And the large camera rear view is obstructed You have to proceed with caution. Or clean the camera. By that dent, you did not proceed with caution lol.