Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC-J1772 Adapter overview video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JDapter Stub can also be used as an (optional) extension cable, in addition to being a Tesla Charge Station Adaptor.

Plug one end into your J1772 car (all of them in North America and Japan, except Tesla) and plug the other end into your Tesla charge station up to 40 feet away.

40 amp and 80 amp versions available.

You can even use JDpater Stub with a Tesla car and a Tesla charge station... just use the Tesla / J1772 adaptor that came with every Tesla car (except Roadster). Even 40 feet away, you can still charge your car.

Was looking for an appropriate thread to comment that we saw our first Teslatap adapter today and got quite a eye-full read before posting! We were having breakfast at a golf club that has 4 HPWCs for customers use. Been there before but this time decided to plug in for a little more charge. Husband noticed the white handle on the Honda Clarity we parked next to and mentioned it to me. Through TMC I was aware of the adapter.

17E9386C-D47E-4B61-9783-0CB3C600ED36.jpeg

I kind of have mixed feelings about this subject. Given how I keep hearing how poorly maintained some of the public and even at times other charging companies’ equipment out there is and how limited, I wouldn’t want to see any EV driver in desperate need of charge to be stranded. Ever. Certainly wouldn’t want to find myself in that situation.

I think at least part of the rub for Tesla owners who so very much appreciate and value Tesla’s commitment to ZEVs is that they feel that Tesla opened this up to other manufacturers who never showed any interest in joining their charging system and essentially made low-mileage battery or hybrid cars as a passing fancy to some of its eco-minded consumers. Half-hearted, wishing it would go away and no sense of dedication to really pursue.

Left on its own to advance charging opportunities for its customers, at I’m sure great expense to the new and struggling company, Tesla laid out additional funds to promote the convenience of destination chargers to business and employers for their Tesla-owner customers and employees. This was quite a program they set up to run and supply and has involved to date thousands of these free units. IF the HPWCs, and sometimes from what I understand—installation fees—had been paid totally by the business owner and not Tesla and he provides the electricity, I would look at it as the owner buying any other EVSE and letting people charge. Given that HASN’T been the case I do see adapters such as this in these cases as taking advantage of Tesla. Also agree with the point made that Tesla changed the HPWC to prevent non-Teslas from using the free chargers they supplied for their Tesla customer base, so the use of these adapter devices under those circumstances is shady. Sadly the perception is that it puts non-Tesla EV owners in the same category — taking advantage of Tesla equipment not intended for their use.

This situation is different from public charge systems being used by Tesla owners with J1772 adapters as they are owner/business/gov’t purchased EVSEs and intended for general public use. ChargePoint and other charging companies who supply their company owned EVSEs for use are more than happy to have them used by any paying customer. Tesla-Paid-For installed units don’t fall into those categories. They really ARE intended for Tesla only owners. And that’s why some charging locations with Superchargers will also have ChargePoint EVSEs installed nearby.

I can see these adapters useful for at home use where the HPWC is used to charge the homeowners Tesla and non-Tesla cars. The homeowner bought it outright. I wish there wasn’t this divide between EV owners. Maybe when the non-Tesla charging situation improves for owners it won’t be an issue. I might be wrong but I don’t see a lot of non-Tesla owners wanting to plunk down $250+ on one of these adapter in general, just like Tesla owners probably don’t relish buying the expensive CHAdeMO adapter. Basically the other EV manufacturers could care less how you were able to charge—you’re problem. That’s where Tesla shined and deservedly so. I do hate seeing Tesla and their equipment violated by companies seeking to make money off a problem that should be solved by the manufacterers of the other EVs by investing in charging stations to support their cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: scaesare
Was looking for an appropriate thread to comment that we saw our first Teslatap adapter today and got quite a eye-full read before posting! We were having breakfast at a golf club that has 4 HPWCs for customers use. Been there before but this time decided to plug in for a little more charge. Husband noticed the white handle on the Honda Clarity we parked next to and mentioned it to me. Through TMC I was aware of the adapter.

View attachment 374268

I kind of have mixed feelings about this subject. Given how I keep hearing how poorly maintained some of the public and even at times other charging companies’ equipment out there is and how limited, I wouldn’t want to see any EV driver in desperate need of charge to be stranded. Ever. Certainly wouldn’t want to find myself in that situation.

I think at least part of the rub for Tesla owners who so very much appreciate and value Tesla’s commitment to ZEVs is that they feel that Tesla opened this up to other manufacturers who never showed any interest in joining their charging system and essentially made low-mileage battery or hybrid cars as a passing fancy to some of its eco-minded consumers. Half-hearted, wishing it would go away and no sense of dedication to really pursue.

Left on its own to advance charging opportunities for its customers, at I’m sure great expense to the new and struggling company, Tesla laid out additional funds to promote the convenience of destination chargers to business and employers for their Tesla-owner customers and employees. This was quite a program they set up to run and supply and has involved to date thousands of these free units. IF the HPWCs, and sometimes from what I understand—installation fees—had been paid totally by the business owner and not Tesla and he provides the electricity, I would look at it as the owner buying any other EVSE and letting people charge. Given that HASN’T been the case I do see adapters such as this in these cases as taking advantage of Tesla. Also agree with the point made that Tesla changed the HPWC to prevent non-Teslas from using the free chargers they supplied for their Tesla customer base, so the use of these adapter devices under those circumstances is shady. Sadly the perception is that it puts non-Tesla EV owners in the same category — taking advantage of Tesla equipment not intended for their use.

This situation is different from public charge systems being used by Tesla owners with J1772 adapters as they are owner/business/gov’t purchased EVSEs and intended for general public use. ChargePoint and other charging companies who supply their company owned EVSEs for use are more than happy to have them used by any paying customer. Tesla-Paid-For installed units don’t fall into those categories. They really ARE intended for Tesla only owners. And that’s why some charging locations with Superchargers will also have ChargePoint EVSEs installed nearby.

I can see these adapters useful for at home use where the HPWC is used to charge the homeowners Tesla and non-Tesla cars. The homeowner bought it outright. I wish there wasn’t this divide between EV owners. Maybe when the non-Tesla charging situation improves for owners it won’t be an issue. I might be wrong but I don’t see a lot of non-Tesla owners wanting to plunk down $250+ on one of these adapter in general, just like Tesla owners probably don’t relish buying the expensive CHAdeMO adapter. Basically the other EV manufacturers could care less how you were able to charge—you’re problem. That’s where Tesla shined and deservedly so. I do hate seeing Tesla and their equipment violated by companies seeking to make money off a problem that should be solved by the manufacterers of the other EVs by investing in charging stations to support their cars.

We have one. Handy in a pinch but really doesn’t get a lot of use.

True but it won't stop some owners from feeling that Tesla is being at least taken advantage of. Not unlike reports of a few EV owners somehow being able to hack into the Supercharger system, although that involves a theft of electricity ($) as well. Both circumvent the purpose of the system.

Wow, interesting read.

Practical question... Just bought TeslaTap as I went from ChargePoint to Tesla Home charger to take advantage of 12Kw charging on my 3. Also have a Bolt for runaround... The adapter is such a tight fit, I had to fight to get it out, even after putting some silicone lubricant in there. Any suggestions?

Wow, interesting read.

Practical question... Just bought TeslaTap as I went from ChargePoint to Tesla Home charger to take advantage of 12Kw charging on my 3. Also have a Bolt for runaround... The adapter is such a tight fit, I had to fight to get it out, even after putting some silicone lubricant in there. Any suggestions?
Did you ever resolve this? Several years later, I have the same issue. I have to tap it off with a hammer. What happened with yours?