Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC safety questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is parked outdoors, and I charge at a 14-50 outlet I had installed, also outdoors. A few safety questions:

1) Is it safe to leave the UMC plugged into the car in the rain? That seems like an obvious yes. But I want to double check.

2) Is it safe to to leave the UMC plugged into the outlet, but the Tesla-end hanging on a hanger, unplugged, in the rain? Or just in general to leave it that way, rain or no?

3) If the UMC is plugged into the outlet, with the Tesla-end not plugged in, how worried should I be if my 2-year old were somehow to get the Tesla-end and play with it? Is it impossible to get shocked from the Tesla-end?

My car is parked outdoors, and I charge at a 14-50 outlet I had installed, also outdoors. A few safety questions:

1) Is it safe to leave the UMC plugged into the car in the rain? That seems like an obvious yes. But I want to double check.

The coupling connection is protected fairly well against weather elements.

2) Is it safe to to leave the UMC plugged into the outlet, but the Tesla-end hanging on a hanger, unplugged, in the rain? Or just in general to leave it that way, rain or no?

The Tesla end can hang on a hanger without problem, because the UMC meets NEC 625's interlock requirements to energize only when the car is attached. If the NEMA 14-50 is outdoor it should be protected by a weather resistant cover.

3) If the UMC is plugged into the outlet, with the Tesla-end not plugged in, how worried should I be if my 2-year old were somehow to get the Tesla-end and play with it? Is it impossible to get shocked from the Tesla-end?

As mentioned, the NEC 625 requirement for interlock makes it safe. You should be more concerned if your 2-year-old were to play with the 14-50 and touch the exposed blades.

My four year old, who has successfully spidered the windshield on a car with his head (just stood up and boom), torn the door off of a fridge (climbed it to get to some leftover birthday cake) and also managed to pop out a window from a casing that doesn't allow popping out (luckily it was a ground level window over the porch - he wanted to "eat snow" that had recently fallen), is yet to damage the UMC or himself in nearly six months. If it passes the Eli test, it probably can handle a whole hell of a lot!

For the record, he is an otherwise well behaved, sweet, wonderful kid. He just has a special ability to break things around the house. It is strange really... he even broke the Roombah, that was a collaboration with his cousin, so I don't hold him accountable for that.

When the UMC is inserted into the charge port, it's weather resistant. If you unplug it during rain the port blinks a bit if there was water on the UMC plug (the water drips into the port and confuses the system). Solutions: 1) Wipe off the UMC before unplugging so that it's fairly dry. 2) Cover the UMC plug and port to keep the rain off. I envision a cover that velcros around the UMC cable and has a flat part to protect the port from most of the rain.

I envision a cover that velcros around the UMC cable and has a flat part to protect the port from most of the rain.

Don't do that. Rain will get in anyway, and you'll just end up creating a water pouch instead of a rain protector. That will cause rust after a while. (Anybody who has done outdoor Christmas lights in a rainy climate quickly learns this one the hard way...).

If a plug is rated for outdoor use, just leave it uncovered - don't put it in a bag. It will still get wet, but that way at least it has a hope of drying again.