Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC updating to 10amps on 2023.26.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can get a list of publicly released firmware here: Tesla Software Updates & Release Notes - Latest Tesla Updates your one is quite far behind.

I wont pretend to know how the UMC firmware update process works but waiting till you receive your next firmware update and then trying the UMC firmware update steps is what I would do.
Thanks. So dumb question - if it is so far behind, when can I expect it to update?

you determine it is a "delivery firmware
Delivery firmware generally has a multiple of 100 as the third number, whereas regular versions have much lower numbers.

I suspect what you have (2023.32.100) is similar to/ branch of 2023.32.9 which was a fairly popular mainline version.

Most cars are only one upgrade ahead on 2023.38.6, although a newer version 2023.38.9 is beginning to rollout quickly.

Thanks. So dumb question - if it is so far behind, when can I expect it to update?
If you are sure your car is connected to WiFi, you could try toggling the software updates between the two settings (is it basic and advanced? I am not near the car right now) and doing a reboot (press both steering wheel buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until the screen reboots). That often seems to trigger the car to check for updates.

Reactions: elddum
If you are sure your car is connected to WiFi, you could try toggling the software updates between the two settings (is it basic and advanced? I am not near the car right now) and doing a reboot (press both steering wheel buttons simultaneously for a few seconds until the screen reboots). That often seems to trigger the car to check for updates.
Thanks. That could be the problem - it connecting but as I've just tested is inconsistent. It started only giving me 2Mbs download speeds, so I turned it WiFi off, went away, and came back to find it had automatically turned back on, so tested and got download of 30Mbs (up was bad tho). As I was testing a few other things noticed that it would periodically disconnect from WiFi, then would not reconnect until I went back into WiFi settings.
Looks like I might be at the limit of my WiFi range. Will fix that and try some more.

Reactions: JonDarian
This process does not work for me. :(

I have a Oct23 build Model Y with 2023.32.100, bought the UMC a month ago and it has the true 10A tail.

I have charged it to 52% let it complete. Reduced the charge limit to 50%. Left for 3 hours... nothing.
Disconnected, turned off, unplugged, unlocked/locked car and plugged back in with same settings, left for 2 hours... nothing.

Have tried similar scenarios both with car locked and unlocked and cannot get the 10A option, and no notice on the screen re a firmware update.

Any advice? I would really like to get that little bit extra in charging.
Elddum I’m in the same situation. Same firmware and also tried the update methods described for the UMC (not vehicle firmware) with no success. Can you let me know if you have any luck fixing it?

Reactions: Gavo
Are there electronics in the plugs?
Yes, there is a MAX31826 Temperature Sensor + 1Kb EEPROM molded in the plug:

UMC pcba-2-resized-4.jpg

Elddum I’m in the same situation. Same firmware and also tried the update methods described for the UMC (not vehicle firmware) with no success. Can you let me know if you have any luck fixing it?
Have not solved yet.

Moved the wifi closer and consistently getting download speeds 45-50Mbs. Have gone through the steps (both here and other thread) with no success.

You won't have success until you get off the delivery firmware.
The UMC update functionality is only seemingly included with the main line.

So I guess we wait until the car decides to to apply a software update.

At 5 days old I don’t want to try the reboot just yet. Knowing my luck I’ll toast it and have a brick on wheels! 😀

Have not solved yet.

Moved the wifi closer and consistently getting download speeds 45-50Mbs. Have gone through the steps (both here and other thread) with no success.

So I guess we wait until the car decides to to apply a software update.

At 5 days old I don’t want to try the reboot just yet. Knowing my luck I’ll toast it and have a brick on wheels! 😀
Do not fear the reboot, young paduan, it will be necessary more often than you would like (I routinely reboot after each software update, it's like rebooting your PC, nothing to worry about).

• Helpful
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Do not fear the reboot, young paduan, it will be necessary more often than you would like (I routinely reboot after each software update, it's like rebooting your PC, nothing to worry about).
Thank you Master! 🤣

Working in IT for far too many decades, I’ve learnt that things break when you reboot. 99.999% of the time it’s no problem, but sometimes all hell breaks loose…. Like when my work laptop needed me to reboot last week to finish an update and I lost 40Gb of my work files from the secure cloud store… had to dive for a backup and spend a couple of hours sorting it out. Not something I want to experience in my first week of Tesla ownership when my wife has only driven it once!

I’m sure I’ll get comfortable with it… just not quite ready yet 😀

Reactions: JonDarian

That is rather unnecessary. I’ve had my Model 3 nearly 4 years now and have manually rebooted it maybe 2 or 3 times.

A few months ago I left on a nighttime drive and the screen instantly went black after the car started to move. And it stayed that way. I kept on driving, and it was rather weird, e.g. blinkers still worked, but absolutely no audio feedback they were on - I could tell only by the reflection in street signs on the other side of the road.

But after about 5 minutes of driving, the car decided to reboot itself while I was moving (Tesla logo ‘n’ all), and the screen came back on 🤷‍♂️.

Also there is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to when you’ll get software updates. You’ll get them when you get them. I leave my car on “Standard” all the time for SW updates. Sometimes months go by without updates, and then randomly I might be the first on this board to get the latest.

Often I refuse to install a new update until people here have reported that it hasn’t broken anything important. I think my record is ignoring six updates over six months before installing the new version which fixed the breakages in the previous five.

Reactions: johnchidgey
That is rather unnecessary. I’ve had my Model 3 nearly 4 years now and have manually rebooted it maybe 2 or 3 times.

A few months ago I left on a nighttime drive and the screen instantly went black after the car started to move. And it stayed that way. I kept on driving, and it was rather weird, e.g. blinkers still worked, but absolutely no audio feedback they were on - I could tell only by the reflection in street signs on the other side of the road.

But after about 5 minutes of driving, the car decided to reboot itself while I was moving (Tesla logo ‘n’ all), and the screen came back on 🤷‍♂️.

Also there is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to when you’ll get software updates. You’ll get them when you get them. I leave my car on “Standard” all the time for SW updates. Sometimes months go by without updates, and then randomly I might be the first on this board to get the latest.

Often I refuse to install a new update until people here have reported that it hasn’t broken anything important. I think my record is ignoring six updates over six months before installing the new version which fixed the breakages in the previous five.
That's fine. I have had a few weird glitches after updates which improved after rebooting, so now I just do a reboot after each update. I have had my car for 5 months and needed to reboot on a few occasions already. I, too, have had a completely blank screen, although mine was when first trying to start the car. I had to reboot before I could enter my PIN to drive. Another time, my profile had disappeared completely from the car and only reappeared after a reboot. I guess I technically didn't need to reboot and could have created a whole new profile inatead. My point to elddum was that rebooting is nothing to fear, and will be necessary sooner or later.

Thank you Master! 🤣

Working in IT for far too many decades, I’ve learnt that things break when you reboot. 99.999% of the time it’s no problem, but sometimes all hell breaks loose…. Like when my work laptop needed me to reboot last week to finish an update and I lost 40Gb of my work files from the secure cloud store… had to dive for a backup and spend a couple of hours sorting it out. Not something I want to experience in my first week of Tesla ownership when my wife has only driven it once!

I’m sure I’ll get comfortable with it… just not quite ready yet 😀
So with better wifi, it has this morning downloaded 2023.38.9.

Not wanting to be bleeding edge (but I do want to get 10A from my UMC)… is that a stable release or the very latest?