Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UMC updating to 10amps on 2023.26.7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried the steps and left it for 20 minutes but unfortunately mine is still 8A. My UMC came with my 2019 Model 3, maybe this update only applies for newer ones?

IIRC I think I read the later UMCs came with an actual 10A tail but the older ones was only 8A. Happy to be proven wrong.

I tried the steps and left it for 20 minutes but unfortunately mine is still 8A. My UMC came with my 2019 Model 3, maybe this update only applies for newer ones?

IIRC I think I read the later UMCs came with an actual 10A tail but the older ones was only 8A. Happy to be proven wrong.

I have a 2019 UMC and it updated to support the 10/15A tails. Note you need the physically different tails, not the ones that came with the 2019 UMC that are 8/10A and 12/15A. You need to go and buy the 10/10A and 15/15A tails from Tesla. But they definitely work on a 2019 UMC.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and cafz
Would be nice to hear any reports on the 15A tail too
The firmware on the UMC itself is updated, so if you now get 10A on the 10A tail you will also get 15A on the 15A tail

That is correct, you need to check the labels on the tails to see which ones you have, but in 2019 the car would have come with the older 8A/12A ones.
As Vostok said you can buy the updated tails from Tesla.

Sorry for the blurry pic, but if you look at the bottom row of text you can see mine are labelled 10A 250V~ and 15A 250V~

UMCgen2-tails-zoom.jpg

This is a very surprising development. After chasing Tesla Support yet again about this issue, I received an email over the weekend saying

"I have checked with my team again and unfortunately, there hasn't been an update yet on the firmware roll out for the UMCs. Our tech team are still working on a fix. As soon as a fix is made available, it will be released via a firmware update."

FWIW, they also told me that there is no current expectation for release of "Charge from solar" functionality for owners who also have Powerwalls.

Thanks Jon. This is why there should be an easy way to probe the firmware version number in the UMC. Would remove doubts as to what build is where and whats in what build. Given folks are reporting 10A it looks most likely the email you got is from an area in Tesla that isnt across the latest in releases with Tesla globally. I havent gotten into the diagnostic chatter on CAN much maybe there is something there to know the firmware version number.

I do appreciate this forum.
Because of reading this thread, I rebooted my screen with the scroll wheels, which triggered the car to download the update, which than allowed the UMC to update. Tesla Support literally told me yesterday this couldn't be done. They finally had the opportunity to give me some good news and even managed to get that wrong!

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Im confused, this update has been around for years...?
Yeah, that's the way it was supposed to be. Tesla initially sold UMCs with 8A and 12A tails. Then with 10A and 15A tails and a firmware upgrade that allowed the UMC to use the tails at full power. Then, in 2022/2023, they went through a period of selling UMCs with 8A and 12A tails, intermixed with supplying the 10A/15A version to some customers, despite the majority of their advertising still showing the UMC as 10A/15A.

I was one of the people sold an 8A/12A kit. I went through a long process (because Tesla's own staff had conflicting information about what was being sold), and had my UMC kit replaced with one containing 10A/15A tails. Due to Tesla's useless logistics, the replacement arrived weeks after my car's delayed arrival. By then, the June '23 firmware update had broken the car's ability to update the UMC.

I have written to Tesla a few times since, culminating in them telling me there still isn't a firmware fix after the fix had been released!

Honestly, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. The real kicker is that the multiple attempts to ship a replacement UMC kit to me seem to have suddenly been fulfilled about a month later as two UMCs (for a total of three) suddenly arrived. I wrote to Tesla about it and haven't heard anything, so they are still in their packaging.

This process does not work for me. :(

I have a Oct23 build Model Y with 2023.32.100, bought the UMC a month ago and it has the true 10A tail.

I have charged it to 52% let it complete. Reduced the charge limit to 50%. Left for 3 hours... nothing.
Disconnected, turned off, unplugged, unlocked/locked car and plugged back in with same settings, left for 2 hours... nothing.

Have tried similar scenarios both with car locked and unlocked and cannot get the 10A option, and no notice on the screen re a firmware update.

Any advice? I would really like to get that little bit extra in charging.