Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to Connect to S85 and Dead Center Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey at least now we know the price of the display for those out of warranty.
7k huh, yeah I think I'll just go ahead and order a new model s once my warranty expires!

this happened to me as well, same symptoms as you, screen would not come on, could not connect via app and my mirrors would not unfold either.
But the car drove fine, left it overnight and everything was back to normal the next day

Well, yesterday i used summon to get out of a tight garage. No problem. Did not drive the car, just needed access to garage. Later in the day tried to use it again, got a no communication with car error. Drove to my restaurant but noticed that the trip dial on instrument cluster was showing zero kw and zero distance. Rebooted the cluster, no effect. When I got to destination, I tried to reboot centre screen, but total failure and stayed black. We had used gps during trip to find restaurant with no issue. On return to car after dinner, could not drive the car. Got a systems powering up message that never cleared. Called tech support, who told me to remove my USB stick, following which the car was drivable, but no centrescreen. The speed display was clearly wrong, I was going much faster than displayed speed. At home, A/C fans failed to turn off and seat heating failed turn off, even after locking car with the fob. Naturally all this on a Saturday night, so no service dept available til Monday . Will update when service tells me what went wrong. 42000 km, AP1.

Well, yesterday i used summon to get out of a tight garage. No problem. Did not drive the car, just needed access to garage. Later in the day tried to use it again, got a no communication with car error. Drove to my restaurant but noticed that the trip dial on instrument cluster was showing zero kw and zero distance. Rebooted the cluster, no effect. When I got to destination, I tried to reboot centre screen, but total failure and stayed black. We had used gps during trip to find restaurant with no issue. On return to car after dinner, could not drive the car. Got a systems powering up message that never cleared. Called tech support, who told me to remove my USB stick, following which the car was drivable, but no centrescreen. The speed display was clearly wrong, I was going much faster than displayed speed. At home, A/C fans failed to turn off and seat heating failed turn off, even after locking car with the fob. Naturally all this on a Saturday night, so no service dept available til Monday . Will update when service tells me what went wrong. 42000 km, AP1.

Your flash memory is probably failing. This happened to me as well. Unfortunate that we're seeing more and more of this. The memory is soldered to the board and almost impossible to replace. You'll need a new MCU if this is the case.

Your flash memory is probably failing. This happened to me as well. Unfortunate that we're seeing more and more of this. The memory is soldered to the board and almost impossible to replace. You'll need a new MCU if this is the case.
Thanks for the info. Fortunately the car is still in warranty. Also, being in Australia they will probably install a new vs reconditioned unit. That is what they did when they replaced my drive unit recently for an annoying whine. Not worth while shipping old units back and forth to the USA for refurbishment.

So, a minor symptom update. Now each time I drive the car and then leave the driver seat, in order to restart the car, I have to "reboot" by holding the scroll wheels down for about 30sec, release, then push the brake, and then finally can put her in gear.
Of course, the central screen does not actually boot up though. Clearly there is major mucking around with signal routing here. The computer can't be totally off despite appearances. Can't wait until tomorrow morning to get my sick baby in to the doctors. However it seems like she may need a brain transplant......

So, a minor symptom update. Now each time I drive the car and then leave the driver seat, in order to restart the car, I have to "reboot" by holding the scroll wheels down for about 30sec, release, then push the brake, and then finally can put her in gear.
Of course, the central screen does not actually boot up though. Clearly there is major mucking around with signal routing here. The computer can't be totally off despite appearances. Can't wait until tomorrow morning to get my sick baby in to the doctors. However it seems like she may need a brain transplant......

Just make sure they don't give you the one marked Abby Normal.